The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by JNC0206
Hi all,

I wanted to find out what my chances are because I hear that its very slim for international students to be accepted for medicine at oxbridge.

My teachers are very skeptical and I am a little disheartened because almost everyone I've spoken to is very doubtful of my chances of success purely because I am a prospective international applicant. There is a myth going around at our school that because of the quota for Medicine, they hardly take people of relatively well-off socio-economic status. I would die if my chances were diminished purely based on my nationality or background -something that I cannot control. I have been slaving away at school hoping to increase my chances. I recieved 10A*s in my GCSEs and am currently predicted a 45 for the IB. I've done everything in my power to enhance my profile from voluntary work and work experience to wider reading and am participating in a range of extra-curricular activities.

Please advise! I am very worried! I don't know what else I can do. Could anyone shed some light on my prospects of a successful application?!

OK - there is a quota for international students for medicine at all UK universities, including Cambridge, such that they can only have 7.5% of their intake for any one year made up of non-EU students. I suppose the relevance of that depends on how many international students want to go to the university you attend - which in the case of Cambridge would probably be quite a high number. However, I have never heard of socioeconomic background having anything to do with international students' applications - indeed I would have thought in many cases you would need to be from a family with a reasonable source of income to afford the fees!
Unfortunately though I'm not an international applicant so I couldn't tell you any more than that.
Hi all!
What do you think are my chances of getting to interview at cambridge and then being competitive for an offer?
AS UMS:
Biology- 266/300 (88.6%)--> Practical Skills Moderated down to 44/60
Chemistry- 284/300 (94.7%)
Physics- 288/300 ( 96.0%)
Mathematics- 359/400 (89.8%) --> 79 in S1 (didnt particularly like the probability aspects).

GCSE's: 7A*'s, 4A's and 1B (french)

Work Experience: 2 weeks at GP, Weekly volunteer at residential home for 3 months, Weekly volunteer at Local Hospital for 8 Months, Week with cardiologist

EC's:
Play guitar (Grade 6 Level now), FA referee, British Sign Language level 1 completed at college, School Cricket Captain for 5 Years, Play senior cricket (2nd team)

Further Reading (SAQ):
On the shoulders of Giants (Physics)
Lancet ( particular interest in research of cancer)
Student BMJ
Health Service
Emperor of all Maladies (biography of cancer)
Science of Life (particular reading on the biochemical mechanisms of hormones)
Reply 1582
Going back to the discussion about Anatomy, it is my experience that the cambridge course teaches a LOT of anatomy, and pretty damned well. I sat the first part of the MRCS not too long ago, and the amount of anatomy revision I needed to do was pretty minuscule compared to my colleagues who studied elsewhere, despite learning anatomy 7 years ago...
Reply 1583
Original post by visesh
Going back to the discussion about Anatomy, it is my experience that the cambridge course teaches a LOT of anatomy, and pretty damned well. I sat the first part of the MRCS not too long ago, and the amount of anatomy revision I needed to do was pretty minuscule compared to my colleagues who studied elsewhere, despite learning anatomy 7 years ago...

So, and I'm suggesting this tentatively, the Cambridge course is good if you wish to pursue a surgical career? Not that I think it also disfavours the more medically inclined, though.
Reply 1584
Original post by tomkeys
So, and I'm suggesting this tentatively, the Cambridge course is good if you wish to pursue a surgical career? Not that I think it also disfavours the more medically inclined, though.

Not necessarily. It might help you pass the basic college exams, but there is a lot more to it than that! Also, the other parts of the course are taught at a pretty high standard, so help out immensely with the MRCP as well.

I'd like to alter your suggestion to "the Cambridge course is good if you want to pass the written post-graduate exams. ":p:
Reply 1585
Original post by visesh
Not necessarily. It might help you pass the basic college exams, but there is a lot more to it than that! Also, the other parts of the course are taught at a pretty high standard, so help out immensely with the MRCP as well.

I'd like to alter your suggestion to "the Cambridge course is good if you want to pass the written post-graduate exams. ":p:

I think your wording of it is much better! I start at St Catz in October, can't wait. Out of interest, how does Cambridge's course measure up when it comes to the practical side at clinicals?
Anyone here study graduate Medicine at Cambridge? If so I'd love to chat to you. I'm keen on applying to Hughes Hall. Thanks.
Original post by JNC0206
Hi all,

I wanted to find out what my chances are because I hear that its very slim for international students to be accepted for medicine at oxbridge.

My teachers are very skeptical and I am a little disheartened because almost everyone I've spoken to is very doubtful of my chances of success purely because I am a prospective international applicant. There is a myth going around at our school that because of the quota for Medicine, they hardly take people of relatively well-off socio-economic status. I would die if my chances were diminished purely based on my nationality or background -something that I cannot control. I have been slaving away at school hoping to increase my chances. I recieved 10A*s in my GCSEs and am currently predicted a 45 for the IB. I've done everything in my power to enhance my profile from voluntary work and work experience to wider reading and am participating in a range of extra-curricular activities.

Please advise! I am very worried! I don't know what else I can do. Could anyone shed some light on my prospects of a successful application?!

Hi,
I am an first year international medic student at Cambridge, will be starting my course in two weeks time. There are 22 international student places each year in Cambridge and about 16??? places at Oxford? I don't know...
I would say if you really want to get into Oxbridge, don't let the admission statistics scares you away! Go for it, you will never know! I don't have 10A* GCSE but I still have the courage to apply. Predicted a 45 for IB is really good and I think you at least give Oxbridge a try. If you are the one they are looking for, not matter how many other international applications there are, the place is yours!
I am pretty sure that they don't care about the nationality or socio-economic status of the applicants. What they care about is the academic potential you have and whether you have the passion and hard work for your course. With 10A* and potentially 45 at IB, they may interview you if you have a good personal statement, school reference, etc. So don't be worried! Be determine to apply if you find the medicine course at Oxbridge really appeals to you (as they are more scientific base and less patient contact).
Don't care about the myth and the teachers who discourage you!
If you are very sure now that you really wanna get into Oxbridge, get a good personal statement and school reference. But other than these, also try to do some wider readings like some medical books, science journals, etc and maybe prepare for BMAT!!! make sure you do your best and get a good mark in BMAT.... And after BMAT, do spend sometime prepare for interviews! read around your subjects and practice your communication skills!
If you ever have any other questions, feel free to ask me, I have applied to other UK med schools too.
Go for it :smile:
Reply 1588
I'm starting next week and can't manage to find out any info about when supervisions would tend to be, and how many of them you have?
Reply 1589
Original post by pianoboe
I'm starting next week and can't manage to find out any info about when supervisions would tend to be, and how many of them you have?

Depends on your supervisor when, depends on your college how many. Typically first year you would have supervisions for biochem, physiology, anatomy and then possibly a few extra for sociology/stats (whatever they are calling that course now). So 3-4 a week. Mine were usually in the evenings but one I had on a Friday morning. You will be contacted by supervisors, either by email or in introductory meetings or something.
Hi, just had my mock interview for medicine at my college- which was SUPPOSED to roughly replicate Cambridge interviews (bundle of lies). The questions were along the lines of:

'Why do you want to become a doctor?'
'What qualities do you think a medical student should possess?'
'Do you think that you have the abovementioned qualities?'
'What do you think is your best quality in terms of becoming a doctor?'

And so on so forth.

Problem is, I'm not that effusive of a character and I hate self-glorification, so if interviews are going to be in this sort of format, my chances are next to nil. Will any questions like those be asked or are interviews purely academic in nature?

Advice about international interviews would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Anhedonia
Hi, just had my mock interview for medicine at my college- which was SUPPOSED to roughly replicate Cambridge interviews (bundle of lies). The questions were along the lines of:

'Why do you want to become a doctor?'
'What qualities do you think a medical student should possess?'
'Do you think that you have the abovementioned qualities?'
'What do you think is your best quality in terms of becoming a doctor?'

And so on so forth.

Problem is, I'm not that effusive of a character and I hate self-glorification, so if interviews are going to be in this sort of format, my chances are next to nil. Will any questions like those be asked or are interviews purely academic in nature?

Advice about international interviews would be greatly appreciated!

My interview, and all those I am aware of, were almost entirely scientific. Some colleges have an "academic" and a "personal" interview, and you may be asked some of those questions in the personal interview, but the majority of questions for Cambridge will be quite science-oriented.
Original post by Helenia
My interview, and all those I am aware of, were almost entirely scientific. Some colleges have an "academic" and a "personal" interview, and you may be asked some of those questions in the personal interview, but the majority of questions for Cambridge will be quite science-oriented.

Will they mind if you come across as uneffusive? I'm committed towards this but I'm not very good at spewing my passion out in interviews. I do really want to do medicine.
Hi, I applied for medicine this year and have just received the SAQ. I have a couple of questions concerning this and also the interview process.

1. Do most people enter an additional personal statement, and will I be at any disadvantage if I leave it blank?
2. I was told by teachers/friends at school that I should know the AS/A2 syllabuses for biology/chemistry really well, as they will test you on A2 content in the interview. How true is this? As I know the interviews are largely science based, but will we be expected to know A2 content?
Reply 1594
Original post by StaedtlerNoris

2. I was told by teachers/friends at school that I should know the AS/A2 syllabuses for biology/chemistry really well, as they will test you on A2 content in the interview. How true is this? As I know the interviews are largely science based, but will we be expected to know A2 content?

I can't really answer q1, but they will generally ask questions based on topics you might have covered or will cover in A-level. Different exam boards have different syllabuses and therefore will cover topics in different orders, and your interviewers won't be aware of which you have covered, so you may be asked about things you have not covered yet. For my interview I revised my AS level Bio + Chem. I was asked a couple of questions that were based on topics I hadn't covered yet. However they are not looking to test your ability to memorise the A-level syllabus, but your ability to apply information and solve problems.
Hi!

I just got my first essay handed back today. The mark wasn't exactly what I had wanted, so I was just wondering if any of the older medics can give some advise? I'm not dwelling on this essay, as I think it's a decent mark to get for the first one, but it would be really nice to learn how to improve for future ones.

Thanks,

Onee-chan
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, I'm a prospective student for 2013. I gather that year 3 of the medicine course is research led. what does this mean?
Reply 1597
Original post by Little Miss Sunshi
Hi, I'm a prospective student for 2013. I gather that year 3 of the medicine course is research led. what does this mean?

Well, you can do some research if you opt for one of the Natural Sciences courses, but you don't have to do this, as far as I'm aware. Some colleges will push you more towards science-y options, but you can do pretty much anything in the third year.
Original post by Little Miss Sunshi

The 3rd year is what other medical schools would call an "intercalated year", where you study a different subject to medicine, thus giving you a BA degree.

Most people do something within the Natural Sciences (it's more difficult to do a different subject now than it was in the past, essentially every medic does NatSci in their 3rd year). So for example, you could do pathology or neuroscience etc etc. You then choose whether you want to do a research project or a dissertation with the subject. So there's the potential for a research project, but you don't have to do one.
Is the amount of prompting during the interview related to the quality of your performance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending