The Student Room Group

I am 16 and I want braces

I went to my dentist he check my teeth for like 2 seconds and said I do not qualifiy for nhs braces. My teeth at the front look oka but still can be improved but at the sides there are alot of gaps and mesed up and I dont like it when i smile. I really want braces and tips how i can get them. Not privatr thou I am not payong 2000 for braces when I should be getting them for free.

Thanks
Are you prepared for the amount of pain you have to go through to get straight teeth?
^ literally!! I've had my braces for 8 months and i hate them (10 months to go, sob).

They're irritating and painful when they scrape on your gum, you're left with sores that are just so annoying. and don't even get me started on tightening!! it's just so horrible. getting mine tightened this thursday (cries)

but that's just my opinion. yes they're uncomfortable but you see results so so quickly. my bottom set are literally perfectly straight. my top still has a lot of time to go but I should be getting them off soon!

if you really want them, my friend had lovely straight teeth but she had quite a big gap between her front teeth. she wasn't allowed to get braces on the NHS but she complained that it gave her lots of pain, so under some circumstances she was allowed to get them. Maybe you could try that??
Reply 3
Original post by Cazi7
I went to my dentist he check my teeth for like 2 seconds and said I do not qualifiy for nhs braces. My teeth at the front look oka but still can be improved but at the sides there are alot of gaps and mesed up and I dont like it when i smile. I really want braces and tips how i can get them. Not privatr thou I am not payong 2000 for braces when I should be getting them for free.

Thanks

I would go to an orthodontist and ask to have x-rays taken of your teeth because that is how you know if you truly qualify for nhs braces. I was borderline so they had to decide whether mine was worth it but usually the nhs will only pay for them if they will affect you in later life for example my teeth sat on top of each other in a cross shape rather than the front teeth slightly over the bottom ones. This would have gone on to cause problems when my wisdom teeth came through and with eating etc so that is why I got them. They will very very rarely pay for them for cosmetic reasons so if your dentist has said you do not qualify for them then chances are you don't and you definitely shouldnt be getting them for free for purely cosmetic reasons, there are people with far worse teeth which the nhs need to pay for otherwise they will be severely affected in later life. Im afraid you probably aren't going to be top of their priority list. But still go to an orthodontist and see what they say

Quick Reply

Latest