The Student Room Group

Twin block braces.

So im 13 and i had twin block braces yesterday, ive had them for about 24 hours and they are hell. Im honestly not so bothered about the pain, apparently that goes away and i can deal with pain. The lisp doesnt bother me that much as i can already talk pretty well in them after only a day so im assuming it will get better. But the problem is how they make me look, they make my chin and jaw look MASSIVE and now im really self conscious. I cant even smile with them in. At school i dont really have any friends and i get picked on a lot already, i go back to school in 2 weeks so i am absolutely terrified. My orthodontist said i have to wear these 22 hours a day, would it still work if i didnt wear them for school? If i didnt wear them for school that would be 18 hours a day. Also, will my face look like this for the whole treatment? Please help lol im honestly just wondering if its even worth it, i didnt even realise i had an overbite until my dentist brought it up :/
Original post by lolineedhelp
So im 13 and i had twin block braces yesterday, ive had them for about 24 hours and they are hell. Im honestly not so bothered about the pain, apparently that goes away and i can deal with pain. The lisp doesnt bother me that much as i can already talk pretty well in them after only a day so im assuming it will get better. But the problem is how they make me look, they make my chin and jaw look MASSIVE and now im really self conscious. I cant even smile with them in. At school i dont really have any friends and i get picked on a lot already, i go back to school in 2 weeks so i am absolutely terrified. My orthodontist said i have to wear these 22 hours a day, would it still work if i didnt wear them for school? If i didnt wear them for school that would be 18 hours a day. Also, will my face look like this for the whole treatment? Please help lol im honestly just wondering if its even worth it, i didnt even realise i had an overbite until my dentist brought it up :/

I had the twin blocks in year 7 and I was lucky enough not to be bullied, sorry that this is happening to you. My dentist told me to wear them all day including school but take them out at night so I guess you could take them out for school but ask your dentist first. I only had to have mine for 6 months because I wore them all the time but my friend only wore them at home and had them for like 2 years 😶
Reply 2
My advice is to do as the dentist says. Just think of that beautiful hollywood smile you'll have at the end of your treatment.

Loads of teens wear braces including my youngest who has bright blue fixed braces and they look fabulous. She absolutely rocks the braces and is so pleased with them, she painted her nails to match them. She hasn't been bullied yet, (they went on before the summer holidays so she had a few weeks in school with them on). I know that about 3 of her close friends have had fixed braces and none of them have experienced bullying either. Don't worry about something that hasn't happened.

I think the key is probably to be confident about them. Because you know that at the end you will have perfect teeth and look even more fabulous that you did. Go and rock your new look, smile and be proud.
Original post by Anonymous
I had the twin blocks in year 7 and I was lucky enough not to be bullied, sorry that this is happening to you. My dentist told me to wear them all day including school but take them out at night so I guess you could take them out for school but ask your dentist first. I only had to have mine for 6 months because I wore them all the time but my friend only wore them at home and had them for like 2 years 😶

I think ill ask my dentist if i can take them out for school, i have to wear them at night too so hopefully 18 hours will be enough
Original post by lolineedhelp
I think ill ask my dentist if i can take them out for school, i have to wear them at night too so hopefully 18 hours will be enough

Hi, I know this is an old post but how did you get on? And were you allowed to take it out during school time ?

Quick Reply

Latest