The Student Room Group

Can I still get into medicine with my GCSE's

Okay so I've taken 10 GCSE's and so far I feel as though I'm not going to make it into medicine. I haven't received my results yet (results day august 20th) however the results I'm expecting are something on the lines of:
English lit a*
English Lang a*
Maths a
Additional science a*
Further a*
Core a
Spanish a
History a*
ICT a*
Art b

This may seem stupid but will the 'b' in art hold me back and do I stand any chance. I always hear those horror stories that some people get straight As/A*s and still don't get into med school. So my question is do I stand a chance against the opposition?
Reply 1
Yeah that B in art will ruin your life. Probably best to start applying for jobs in Mcdonalds now.
Original post by Kadesh
Okay so I've taken 10 GCSE's and so far I feel as though I'm not going to make it into medicine. I haven't received my results yet (results day august 20th) however the results I'm expecting are something on the lines of:
English lit a*
English Lang a*
Maths a
Additional science a*
Further a*
Core a
Spanish a
History a*
ICT a*
Art b

This may seem stupid but will the 'b' in art hold me back and do I stand any chance. I always hear those horror stories that some people get straight As/A*s and still don't get into med school. So my question is do I stand a chance against the opposition?

yh u defo can but really a levels are more important since thats whats the uni base it on
Reply 3
Original post by Kadesh
English lit a*
English Lang a*
Maths a
Additional science a*
Further a*
Core a
Spanish a
History a*
ICT a*
Art b

I got no A*'s and a couple of C's and I currently hold offers at 2 medical schools. It's literally all about applying to your strengths.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
(edited 8 years ago)
If you end up getting those results, you will put yourself in a good position so dw. Echoing what another person said is that applying to your strengths is key so dw you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you so much guys, my dream is too do medicine and I can't imagine doing anything else. This was honestly worrying me so I thought it would be helpful to at least ask someone :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Exeter and Barts. Also had interviews from Plymouth and Manchester
Original post by Kadesh
English lit a*
English Lang a*
Maths a
Additional science a*
Further a*
Core a
Spanish a
History a*
ICT a*
Art b

I only had 1 A* and got an offer from Bristol.

It's all about other things - work exp, leadership, motivation etc - as long as your GCSEs are good enough - which yours def are!
Reply 8
All have low GCSE requirements and focus on the UKCAT. Exeter wanted applicants to be predicted A*A*A or better although they don't advertise this on their website.
Interviews are all about preparation. Go through the ISC Medical book for your interview. It's extremely thorough and detailed.
Well done, I hope you get those results. You certainly can but A Levels are more important
Reply 10
Original post by DoctorInTraining
I only had 1 A* and got an offer from Bristol.

It's all about other things - work exp, leadership, motivation etc - as long as your GCSEs are good enough - which yours def are!

So what would you recommend in terms of work experience?
Original post by Clubba
I got no A*'s and a couple of C's and I currently hold offers at 2 medical schools. It's literally all about applying to your strengths.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

What universities did you apply to? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ScienceFantatic
What universities did you apply to? :smile:

Barts, Manchester, Exeter and Plymouth :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending