The Student Room Group

What sport should I play?

I have played many sports but never really succeed at any. I always wanted to be successful but I am 18 and I have left it too late. I have tried many sports. but also failed
Rugby; I am too small, and weak
Football; I am not skilful enough,
Tennis; but I'm not good enough
Athletics/Running; not fast enough
Cycling; too expensive at the moment so no bike
Swimming; just don't like it
Cricket; boring
GAA; new to it and everyone else has too much skill and fitness at my age

I am looking for one sport to focus on that I can meet people but also succeced and enjoy it and get fitter. This could be one of the above (e.g. Cycling) or one I have not tried. I also am wary of trying new sports and being completely new and crashing out when I am far behind the rest.

Basically, Help.
If you're small and light you should look into motorsports. Have you done go-karts? Expensive though if you're taking it seriously, getting your own gear and kart, racing outdoors.
Original post by kiko1997
I have played many sports but never really succeed at any. I always wanted to be successful but I am 18 and I have left it too late. I have tried many sports. but also failed
Cricket; boring

I am looking for one sport to focus on that I can meet people but also succeced and enjoy it and get fitter. This could be one of the above (e.g. Cycling) or one I have not tried. I also am wary of trying new sports and being completely new and crashing out when I am far behind the rest.

Basically, Help.

Why do you think you have to be good to play a sport?

I've been part of a 5-a-side football team for the last few years and I'm completely appalling at football. I have virtually no control over my own feet and the total extent of my game is that I can tackle half decently and am willing to fling myself into any penalty area melee without hesitation!

I've played tennis for the last decade and have never got beyond "very average" in terms of ability, still enjoy it and play most weeks.

I've gone rock climbing a couple of times a week for the last three years and yet have hit a plateau at a level most people will get past after about 18 months but I still keep going because I find it fun.

All that matters in sport is that you enjoy it, doesn't matter if you win or lose, doesn't matter if you're any good, as long as when you finish you have had a good time.

So **** success, just pick a sport you find interesting and that you enjoy and stick with it.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
If you're small and light you should look into motorsports. Have you done go-karts? Expensive though if you're taking it seriously, getting your own gear and kart, racing outdoors.

If he's saying that cycling is too expensive do you really think he'd be able to afford to go karting regularly or buy his own kart?
Cricket; boring

Basically, Help.

Anyway, I just realised I didn't actually give a recommendation!

Rock Climbing.

It's great fun, a sport where you don't have to be physically big to be good (the best climber I know is a girl who is exactly 5' tall and weighs about 7 stone), has an incredibly friendly community, is very varied so you'll end up doing different things almost every time you go and is one which will see you building up your strength & muscular endurance pretty quickly.
Reply 5
> Why do you think you have to be good to play a sport?

Original post by mackemforever
Why do you think you have to be good to play a sport?

I don't think I have to be good but it would be nice to pursue a sport and achieve something. I don't want to be any type of champion but something that I can progress at rather than just messing around.
Quidditch
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Cricket; boring

Basically, Help.

I think you should try tennis again, with just a few of the pros being:

-Fairly simple rules and therefore makes it easier to become good at it
-I feel like it may have been slightly neglected but I feel like it is starting to get attention again, so you could meet people by joining clubs
-If you really get into a game you can really feel it and see that it does require more than just a bit of wrist action, which means it will make you fitter.

I just really like tennis. I hope this helps, be sure to tell us what you end up going for!:tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by LifeOfA
I think you should try tennis again, with just a few of the pros being:

-Fairly simple rules and therefore makes it easier to become good at it
-I feel like it may have been slightly neglected but I feel like it is starting to get attention again, so you could meet people by joining clubs
-If you really get into a game you can really feel it and see that it does require more than just a bit of wrist action, which means it will make you fitter.

I just really like tennis. I hope this helps, be sure to tell us what you end up going for!:tongue:

I was big into tennis for ages, playing a few times a week then I just dropped off but I don't know why. I really like it, watching it too, Love Andy Murray, being Scottish too, and all the french guys, Wimbledon etc. I don't know if my uni has a club. I really should go back to it.
> Why do you think you have to be good to play a sport?

I don't think I have to be good but it would be nice to pursue a sport and achieve something. I don't want to be any type of champion but something that I can progress at rather than just messing around.

Well I refer you to my next post with the suggestion of rock climbing!

It's a sport that you can reach a good level at even if you're not big & strong to start with.
Reply 10
I was big into tennis for ages, playing a few times a week then I just dropped off but I don't know why. I really like it, watching it too, Love Andy Murray, being Scottish too, and all the french guys, Wimbledon etc. I don't know if my uni has a club. I really should go back to it.

:awesome: Yeah, tennis is awesome, I feel like it's kind of underrated. But your uni should have a tennis club, just check.:crossedf:
All about e-sports. I've been a pro-gamer for a while now and you make fairly good money :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest