The Student Room Group

Police force gives cannabis users green light to grow drugs

I've never envied people who live in Durham before, but now I do.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11753350/Police-force-gives-cannabis-users-green-light-to-grow-drugs.html

Durham Police and Crime Commissioner Ron Hogg says the force will not proactively target small scale cannabis producers who are growing for their own use.

In a move, which will be seen as a further step towards decriminalisation, Durham Police has said it will only go after people growing and using the drug if there is a complaint or if they are being “blatant”.

While the force has insisted it will continue to tackle large scale cannabis farms and other areas of criminality associated with the drug, those who grow and use the cannabis at home will not be actively pursued.

The move comes in the wake of comments by the force’s Chief Constable, Mike Barton, who has argued that investigating and prosecuting drug addicts is “waste of police time”.

The new approach to cannabis production came from the force’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Ron Hogg, who said that anyone caught in possession of the drug would be given the opportunity to avoid prosecution by signing up to a crime reduction initiative.
Cannabis users who have committed less than three crimes would be eligible for the programme and would only be prosecuted if they failed to comply.

Mr Hogg, a former policeman himself, told the Northern Echo: “Cannabis use is still illegal and smoking it is still a crime, but if you are caught, you will get this opportunity to stop reoffending.
“By and large we are saying it is not the top of our list to go out and try to pick up people smoking joints on street corners but if it’s blatant or we get complaints, officers will act.”
He added: “It’s about keeping people out of the criminal justice system and reducing costs, it’s about being more productive with the way we approach things. It’s also about seeking to prevent future use by keeping people out of prison."

“What we’re trying to do now is push forward for national debate on drugs policy it’s quite clear that what has been done for 40 years is not working and we need a different approach.”

I'm glad someone's got their head screwed on straight. It's rather reminiscent of the Spanish way of dealing with it (you can grow up to 4 plants in your own home for personal use, but you cannot smoke it in public nor sell it to other people), which I thoroughly approve of.

I've only quoted excerpts from the article instead of the whole thing, so do read it all if this piques your interest.

What's your view on this?

Premeditated answers to negative comments:
- No, I don't care that it's from The Telegraph. I don't read it myself, it's merely the article that came up on my news feed.
- Yes, I'm aware cannabis is still illegal. Aren't you a clever little sausage for figuring that out all by yourself?
- Yes, I'm aware that I haven't quoted the comments from the detractors. Mainly because it's nothing we haven't heard before, but I'm glad that the first one mentions that cannabis is harmful to your health just as alcohol is. It's nice for someone to actually bring that up instead of banging out the age old "drugz r bad mmkay" rhetoric.
- Yes, I'm aware that the thread title is ever so slightly misleading as it doesn't encompass all growers, but I merely copied and pasted it from the headline in the news story because I couldn't think of anything witty. I offer no apologies for offending your delicate perceptions.
In a time where we have no money, we don't need to waste precious police resources going after people growing a plant or two for themselves.
Reply 2
It's a trap
Reply 3
Idk if anyone's seen The Wire, but this has reminded me of Bunny Colvin's 'Hamsterdam' safe zone where the drug dealers were allowed to sell without police interference only if their corners were in particular places. I know it's not the same thing, but it's an interesting strategy if you're not going to just legalise and regulate.

Also another quote from the show on the 'drug war':

Fighting the war on drugs, one brutality case at a time.
You can't even call this **** a war.
Why not?
Wars end.
If you can't fight them, join them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get me a train ticket to Durham, 5,000 light bulbs and enough soil to bury the attitude of a young single mother, I'm coming home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending