The Student Room Group

What A-Level do you regret taking the most?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by _Charlotte15
What's philosophy like? Thinking of taking it for A-level.

If you never study at Philosophy in your life, you can certainly live without it; if you study Philosophy, you don't know how a person could live without it and yet call themselves an aware human being.

If you are able, take a Philosophy A-Level, not Philosophy and Ethics. The Philosophy A-Level has a significant section on ethics, but that is only a single field of philosophy. In the Philosophy A-Level you get to look at Philosophy of Mind, as well as Epistemology and Philosophy of Religion (new syllabus), and so it gives you a much more well-rounded approach to the subject.
Regretted taking A/Levels in general. Did 3 years of it and found out that I am not good at exams. I would have been better off with BTEC's but I didn't know anything about them until I was in A2. By then it was too late. Reasons for this are 1) my school was very A/level orientated and 2) everyone I knew did A/levels so why not myself 3) pressure from family led me to do A/levels.
Reply 122
Original post by CeeDixon
I took English Language (best thing ever), Religious Studies (also REALLY good) and Psychology (worst mistake ever).

Psychology is one of those subjects that you think is going to be really interesting and exciting, but for me it really wasn't. I felt like my memory was constantly being tested, and not my knowledge of the actual subject. I had to remember countless studies off by heart for exams, and it drove me mad at the end of the day. So not worth my time, I dropped it after AS level and didn't continue into the A-Level.

But religious studies was so good, especially the debates we had and hearing people's different views on certain things. Made it easier to listen to other people's opinions too, no matter how controversial they were!
English language really improved my knowledge of grammar. I've always loved English Language, however first year was better than second. Second year involved Old English and was really time consuming and difficult. But interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really appreciate this! I was considering Psychology, but now I know not to go through with it, especially because my memory is awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by an.enigma
Really appreciate this! I was considering Psychology, but now I know not to go through with it, especially because my memory is awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's different for other people, but it involves a LOT of studying, and I'm definitely not a study friendly person hahaha! Each to their own :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biology :indiff:
Biology.. got an E in the end.
Chemistry
Taking Philosophy was one of the worst mistakes of my life, incredibly useless and unbelievably boring
Reply 128
Original post by Bourbonator
Taking Philosophy was one of the worst mistakes of my life, incredibly useless and unbelievably boring

Nah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biology. Just no.

Original post by Bourbonator

Haha I enjoyed philosophy while I did it but found the workload, with all my other subjects, would be too much. Dropped it soon after :tongue:
Wish I'd dropped it too tbh :/ Oh well
I regret taking RS at AS and Government & Politics at A2. I should have taken the latter at AS and continued on with History of Art instead.
Reply 132
Original post by Birkenhead
I regret taking RS at AS and Government & Politics at A2. I should have taken the latter at AS and continued on with History of Art instead.

Was my 6th form the only one that didn't offer funky subjects? Not even philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
History. Fully prepared for the impending E

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VannR
If you never study at Philosophy in your life, you can certainly live without it; if you study Philosophy, you don't know how a person could live without it and yet call themselves an aware human being.

If you are able, take a Philosophy A-Level, not Philosophy and Ethics. The Philosophy A-Level has a significant section on ethics, but that is only a single field of philosophy. In the Philosophy A-Level you get to look at Philosophy of Mind, as well as Epistemology and Philosophy of Religion (new syllabus), and so it gives you a much more well-rounded approach to the subject.

Where I study they only offer ethics&philosophy though so may not be as interesting? Thank you for the info!!
English Lit AQA :/ Just horrible imo
i loathe and despise chemistry, should have taken electronics, what a waste of time. I also took AS history which was bull****
I took Biology (to AS), Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. I don't really regret taking any of these (biology was the one I was most concerned about before starting). My only possible regret is not taking computer science instead of biology at AS, as I feel like that would have been much more useful.
Biology was the bane of my life for 1 year, I am planning on dropping it but eh I did worse in chemistry so whatever
Reply 139
I adore history and sociology! I love english language but i got a bad grade at AS so now ive got the horrible dilemma on whether to drop it for the one subject i like the least (geography) :s-smilie: i wish i had not taken geography and for a while now i wish i had taken english literature! It looks amazing and i dont know why i didnt take it!!:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest