The Student Room Group

How do I respond to "You alright?"

I'm used to saying "How are you" so when someone says to me "You alright" or even "Yrite", what's the best way to respond?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, you?
Yeah what about you?
Reply 3
Yeah I'm good, you?
Haha i remember asking my sister this once :biggrin:
I usually say "you clearly don't care about how I'm feeling, so don't ask".
Sometimes, you can tell that when people say "You alright", they're really just saying hello. They don't care about how you are. In response to that I just say hello.
Reply 7
Original post by NotNotBatman
I usually say "you clearly don't care about how I'm feeling, so don't ask".

You sound like a bundle of joy
Reply 8
No idea about elsewhere but where I live in Ireland this is the most common greeting and you just respond with a greeting of your choice e.g.

Alright?
Hi, name.

Alright?
Right, name.

You alright?
Yes name how's it going?
Manz gud, wagwan wiv u bruv?
Reply 10
In the deep Midlands we say "orate" or "yrate" spelled with an 8 because we're cool.

Conversations go as follows.

"Or8 mate?" (Alright mate)
Yeah you?

"Yr8?" (You alright?)
Yr8 man (Yeah, you alright man?)

Also the use of Or8 can be a question and an answer in one to avoid double use. The response of Or8 can mean "(I'm alright, (are you alright)"
Reply 11
Original post by maddo
In the deep Midlands we say "orate" or "yrate" spelled with an 8 because we're cool.

Conversations go as follows.

"Or8 mate?" (Alright mate)
Yeah you?

"Yr8?" (You alright?)
Yr8 man (Yeah, you alright man?)

Also the use of Or8 can be a question and an answer in one to avoid double use. The response of Or8 can mean "(I'm alright, (are you alright)"

Yeah I was suprised how everyone greeted each other in the UK, the first time someone said "Yite mate" to me I had no idea how to respond lol. I wonder where that greeting came from
"You alright"

" 'Sup? "
Reply 13
Original post by loya61
Yeah I was suprised how everyone greeted each other in the UK, the first time someone said "Yite mate" to me I had no idea how to respond lol. I wonder where that greeting came from

Warsop. Google it
Yes, splendid, thank you. And how are you? :hat2:
Reply 15
Original post by MsFahima
Yes, splendid, thank you. And how are you? :hat2:

I wish people still spoke like this lol, sounds much better :smile:
Original post by loya61
I'm used to saying "How are you" so when someone says to me "You alright" or even "Yrite", what's the best way to respond?

Just say I'm all left actually :biggrin:
Reply 17
no
**** off
Another dumb question
Reply 19
Original post by missaxo
Yeah, you?

I go with this too.

Quick Reply

Latest