The Student Room Group

Hair disaster please help!

So for the past 6 years I've had lovely light ash blonde hair which I've dyed myself using various box dyes. My hair is naturally a medium golden blonde (pretty much the same colour as Taylor swifts for comparison) so getting it light blonde wasn't hard.

Anyway, about 8 months ago I decided to go ombre and used a semi permanent light brown on the roots and half the lengths, I did this every month until I decided to let it fade. So last week I decided it has faded enough to use colour b4...which didn't do much except turn my hair yellowy /orange.

I then used my trusty regular light ash blonde dye which turned my roots a lovely colour, but the lengths were still orangey/brown. This wasn't great but it was livable.

Anyway I got impatient and yesterday bought another box of colour b4 and bleach kit. Used them both and my hair has gone a ridiculous colour... It's platinum white at the roots, then a yellowy muddy colour, then golden blonde ends. It's hideous. I've toned it twice and it's made no difference.

What shall I do? Either I bleach again and run the risk of killing my hair, or do I put a light ash blonde over it and hope it lifts the colour enough to blend in with the roots? I actually really like the colour the roots have gone so I'm tempted to bleach again but too scared!
Reply 1
Either bleach it all, or see a hairdresser. It will be hard to fix it at home.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
So for the past 6 years I've had lovely light ash blonde hair which I've dyed myself using various box dyes. My hair is naturally a medium golden blonde (pretty much the same colour as Taylor swifts for comparison) so getting it light blonde wasn't hard.

Anyway, about 8 months ago I decided to go ombre and used a semi permanent light brown on the roots and half the lengths, I did this every month until I decided to let it fade. So last week I decided it has faded enough to use colour b4...which didn't do much except turn my hair yellowy /orange.

I then used my trusty regular light ash blonde dye which turned my roots a lovely colour, but the lengths were still orangey/brown. This wasn't great but it was livable.

Anyway I got impatient and yesterday bought another box of colour b4 and bleach kit. Used them both and my hair has gone a ridiculous colour... It's platinum white at the roots, then a yellowy muddy colour, then golden blonde ends. It's hideous. I've toned it twice and it's made no difference.

What shall I do? Either I bleach again and run the risk of killing my hair, or do I put a light ash blonde over it and hope it lifts the colour enough to blend in with the roots? I actually really like the colour the roots have gone so I'm tempted to bleach again but too scared!

Having bleached my hair from darkest brown to orangey blonde recently, I d give it at least a week before you put any more bleach or even anymore more than a semi perm dye with it.
Have you tried purple shampoo as yet?
If you cant live with the colour for a good few days then try the wash in wash out 8.1 golden blonde that superdrug sells for 99p, i ve been using whilst waiting to do one last bleach soon and at worst if it doesnt work then its a conditioner so no harm done or try a semi perm ash blonde that doesnt have peroxide in it
Stop!

Go to a salon. In the meantime, leave it alone and condition.

EDIT: I'm a qualified hair dresser.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Stop!

Go to a salon. In the meantime, leave it alone and condition.

EDIT: I'm a qualified hair dresser.

I know a salon won't touch it now for at least a month cos they wouldn't want to be liable for more damage. I can't go to work with my hair like this and I've got 2 weddings, a uni reunion and a meal with my boyfriends parents who I've never met before all in the next month.

My hair doesn't seem damaged by what I've done to it so far, but I don't want to keep pushing it. I'm guessing between further bleaching and dying a dye is the lesser of the two evils. I might just have to hope for the best, get it to a colour I can live with then go to a salon in a couple of months to do it properly.
Just go to the hair dressers (have you even tried asking them), it might cost a bit but it's worth it. Better than taking the risk of ruining your hair colour and permanently damaging it

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I think you should leave your hair alone for a few days, you really don't want it turning into over processed candyfloss.

If you have to fix it yourself, I would suggest bleaching the darkest sections only, then toning to see if it'll even the orange out slightly. Ash blonde dye will counteract the orange tones, however your very light roots may pick up all the ash pigment, and may go grey :s-smilie:

EDIT: Also a good conditioner, hair masks and oils are your best friends right now
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I know a salon won't touch it now for at least a month cos they wouldn't want to be liable for more damage. I can't go to work with my hair like this and I've got 2 weddings, a uni reunion and a meal with my boyfriends parents who I've never met before all in the next month.

My hair doesn't seem damaged by what I've done to it so far, but I don't want to keep pushing it. I'm guessing between further bleaching and dying a dye is the lesser of the two evils. I might just have to hope for the best, get it to a colour I can live with then go to a salon in a couple of months to do it properly.

It might not look it but your hair will be damaged. I used to be blonde (peroxide) and it was very well maintained but even mine stretched like a rubber band when tested in chemicals. Yours will currently be in a damaged state so you need to be really careful with it. When you use bleach or permanent dye you are affecting the inner part of the hair (the cortex) - if you keep hammering it with bleach dye your hair will literally snap off. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything else which affects the cortex (i.e. no bleach or permanent dye), I'd only affect the cuticle at present to correct your hair until the cortex is strong enough again. The product you should be using should only affect the hair cuticle (outer part of the hair strand) - those products are temporary/semi-permanent. I'd opt for semi-perm

Permanent has higher PH/peroxide and contains ammonia. Go semi-perm. If you do it twice it should last you until you next see a hairdresser. Personally I would not match the mid lengths and ends with your current roots as that would mean lifting the color which would mean bleach/permanent color which you need to avoid right now.

I'd choose a semi-permanent dye which is within the depth range of your darkest area (the ends) because you want an even color all over and without lightening - that means matching it all to the darkest part. So I'd chose a semi-permanent color with a depth to mach your ends and apply it all over. Since the mid section is muddy yellow, you need something to counteract that - look on a color wheel and see the opposite of yellow (violet), get a purple shampoo and apply mid lengths/ends (don't put it on the roots it could send them lilac). I used to use touch of silver (https://www.halfpriceperfumes.co.uk/en/shampoos/101488-touch-of-silver-twice-a-week-shampoo-200ml-5012008469302.html?gmc_currency=2&gclid=CIem4qyK98YCFUPLtAodgxUNLA) and then get a decent toner on it
If it doesn't do much after a couple of attempts then you need to chose a color to counteract it - something with elements of violet. 'La Riche Directions' are my personal fave - they are amazing semi-permanent colors in little tubs (they go along way). I've used them to go blonde/silver/purple and red (at different times :biggrin:) and what's cool is that you can mix them.

I'd recommend that you do this:

http://www.30somethingmel.co.uk/tutorial-toning-la-riche-directions-silver-remove-orange-tones-violet-yellow-tones/

Apply to the mid-lengths and ends to tone it all and leave your roots since they're platinum/white. Once you've toned all with Directions you can always apply a box semi-perm all over.

You really need to be applying it using 'hot cross bun' sectioning - it's simple to do but very difficult on your own because you can't see the back of your head - so ask a friend/relative, if that's impossible then get two mirrors and place one in front/one behind so you can see what you're doing. Look on Youtube - I'm pretty sure there will be a very quick guide for hot cross bun sectioning. If not, just do your best to keep it even.

Basically: step 1: violet shampoo and condition. Step 2: semi-permanent color - 'Directions' if poss (cheap on Amazon but you can get them from hair shops in most big cities), then box semi-perm all over if necessary. Condition the hell out of it, stay away from straighteners or a very hot hair dryer. Do again after a few weeks. Then see a hairdresser.
What i did in the end was this morning I made a homemade toner mask by mixing purple shampoo with conditioner and letting it sit for half an hour. This took a lot of the yellow out but it was still an obvious contrast to the roots. I had a box of my usual 'ultra light ash blonde' dye lying around so I decided to do a little strand test.. The hair turned a bluish ash when the dye was on but after drying it was a nicer shade.. So I just bit the bullet and applied it to the bad areas and left it on for 15 minutes before rinsing and using a conditioning mask.

My hair is much better, there are still some yellow/dull areas towards the back and underneath but mostly it's now a nice silvery blonde. ican at least live with it now until I can get it fixed or use a decent toner again. It doesn't feel too damaged, I did the 'pulling a hair' test and it didn't stretch or break.. Had a normal amount of give to it.. So I think I've just been lucky.

Thanks for the advice guys! I've learnt my lesson now and will go to a salon if I want to go from brown to blonde!

Quick Reply

Latest