The Student Room Group

Work experience for Nottingham GEM

Hi

I am hoping to study Graduate medicine after my current clinical science degree. I am hoping to go to Nottingham and attended their open day earlier this year and was told that they like you have work experience especially HCA work. I am really struggling to find work as a health care assistant as they all want experience. I currently work as a theatre cleaner at a private hospital and as a home care assistant. I also volunteer at the Azheimers Association once a month.

My question is if I can't get work as a HCA in a hospital is this enough?

Thanks for an replies :-)
Being a home care assistant sounds like really good experience, I wouldn't worry about getting into a hospital necessarily. Have you had any experience of shadowing doctors or just generally volunteering in an NHS setting?
Reply 2
I've heard it from Paul Garrud that they consider HCA work the gold standard of experience but it is not an essential requirement to get on to the course.
Reply 3
Original post by Zorg
I've heard it from Paul Garrud that they consider HCA work the gold standard of experience but it is not an essential requirement to get on to the course.

I work as a research assistant and got a high score on the work experience at Notts for GEM (your experience is graded from 1-5, one being the best, five being the worst), I was under the impression you could only get a '1' f you were already a registered healthcare professional, like a nurse or physio?
Original post by ssjt
Hi

I am hoping to study Graduate medicine after my current clinical science degree. I am hoping to go to Nottingham and attended their open day earlier this year and was told that they like you have work experience especially HCA work. I am really struggling to find work as a health care assistant as they all want experience. I currently work as a theatre cleaner at a private hospital and as a home care assistant. I also volunteer at the Azheimers Association once a month.

My question is if I can't get work as a HCA in a hospital is this enough?

Thanks for an replies :-)

I was never a HCA and I got onto the Nottingham GEM course. My profile is listed in the sticky somewhere. The main point of the work experience is to give you things to reflect on, can you think of an example of something that thought you leadership skills/teamwork/anger management/etc. It's not about what you've done, more about how you can talk about what you learned from it.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies that has certainly put my mind at ease :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending