The Student Room Group

Oxbridge FAQ!

Scroll to see replies

necessarily benevolent
don't put down anything you've learned from them unless you're confident of talking about them at interview.

In which case, have you really learned anything at all?
Hedgeman49
In which case, have you really learned anything at all?

I mean in depth. Some may have a structured vague knowledge of a book but this wouldn't help them if they're being tested on any aspect of it.
Reply 382
These questions might be a little weird but I hope someone can help me with them! ^^

1) How come some schools have wayyy more people getting accepted into Oxford than Cambridge, or vice versa?
At my school, I think it's something like for every 8 Oxbridge aaceptances, only 1 is for Cambs.

I really don't get it! :confused: Aren't the two unis pretty similar in what they are looking for?

2) For Oxford, we know they select people for interview based on their BMAT to GCSE chart (http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/courses/preclin/applying/assessingchances)
So let's say someone has 70% A*s at GCSE and so they need to be in the top 38% for BMAT, so does that mean if that person did achieve that, he/she will be selected for interview automatically?
Is it very possible for someone who satisfies the BMAT and GCSE chart who don't get automatically shortlisted for interview?

3) Who puts a much bigger emphasise on BMAT? Cambridge or Oxford?

4) I've heard some colleges gives out interviews before the BMAT resutls are out, is it more advantageous to apply to those colleges if you want to do medicine/Vet med/physiology and etc?

5)How hard is it to study medicine at Oxbridge? What kind of person are the medicine courses suited to? Those who can cope with lots of independent learning/studying?

Thanks!
Reply 383
aaaah! I need help, i'm so confused at the moment what with the a levels and advanced highers thingiemajiggers ;/

I hope this is in the right section, I have no idea to be honest xD

I got A1112223 in Standard grades, I don't have any idea what the english equivilant to that is, i hope its good enough, I'm looking for 5A's at higher?

I want to apply to oxford next year, but I dont know about doing a sixth year at my school, because I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE OF THE NEDS (chavs) and i'd much rather go to college, it's more relaxed and independant

Thing is the college only offers 2 adv highers I'd want to do(english and modern studies), the others being subjects i've never done before. They do however offer biology and music at A level, so I don't know if I should just do my last year at school and have another rubbishy year but do 3 adv highers(english, modern and RMPS) or go and do 2 adv highers and an A level at college? Do you think they would count this against me becuase I didn't stay on at school? I'm so confused and I need to decide soon :frown:

Any help is appreciated :smile:
Nimbus
These questions might be a little weird but I hope someone can help me with them! ^^

1) How come some schools have wayyy more people getting accepted into Oxford than Cambridge, or vice versa?
At my school, I think it's something like for every 8 Oxbridge aaceptances, only 1 is for Cambs.

I really don't get it! :confused: Aren't the two unis pretty similar in what they are looking for?

2) For Oxford, we know they select people for interview based on their BMAT to GCSE chart (http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/courses/preclin/applying/assessingchances)
So let's say someone has 70% A*s at GCSE and so they need to be in the top 38% for BMAT, so does that mean if that person did achieve that, he/she will be selected for interview automatically?
Is it very possible for someone who satisfies the BMAT and GCSE chart who don't get automatically shortlisted for interview?

3) Who puts a much bigger emphasise on BMAT? Cambridge or Oxford?

4) I've heard some colleges gives out interviews before the BMAT resutls are out, is it more advantageous to apply to those colleges if you want to do medicine/Vet med/physiology and etc?

5)How hard is it to study medicine at Oxbridge? What kind of person are the medicine courses suited to? Those who can cope with lots of independent learning/studying?

Thanks!

1) Perhaps more people at your school apply to Oxford than Cambridge? It may be that the people being accepted into Oxford didn't have the module scores required to give them a better chance at Cambridge.

2) Dunno.

3) Cambridge I think.

4) If a lot of people think this way, this is would be a disadvantage, wouldn't it? Otherwise I think it's a silly thing to do. You should apply for a college that you like, not because of the chances of getting in.

5) The medicine course is regarded as on par with the courses at every other medical school in the UK. However, Oxford and Cambirdge are the only ones (I think) to still have a lecture based course. Don't quote me on this, I'm just regurgitated what I've picked up over the forum.
Lidka
Do the A-level you enjoy most. Seriously, it won't make a difference whether you do Chem or Eng lit for A-level. Unless you're planning on being a doctor, in which case Chem might be better. :p:

And no, admissions tutors at Oxford and Cambridge don't (and shouldn't...) give a toss about your extra-curriculars. Concentrate on getting decent AS grades and reading around your prospective subject(s) - it'll be better for you in the long run. (Though bear in mind that other unis might want to see some extra-currics on your UCAS form.)

Are you really sure about that? Because I really don't want to play higher-league ruby, having loads of work experience etc just for the sake of Oxbridge :rolleyes:

Also, I know you can put ECs in your PS, but I feel they will take up too much space. Is there a place in the UCAS form excluding PS where you can put your ECs?

Also, if you took subjects like Business Studies, Citizenship, ICT, Sociology, Psychology, Textiles, Art etc AT GCSE and got good grades in them, will it disadvantage your application as they are not really "respected subjects"? :s-smilie:

thank you.
Reply 386
im so academic
Are you really sure about that? Because I really don't want to play higher-league ruby, having loads of work experience etc just for the sake of Oxbridge :rolleyes:

Also, I know you can put ECs in your PS, but I feel they will take up too much space. Is there a place in the UCAS form excluding PS where you can put your ECs?

Also, if you took subjects like Business Studies, Citizenship, ICT, Sociology, Psychology, Textiles, Art etc AT GCSE and got good grades in them, will it disadvantage your application as they are not really "respected subjects"? :s-smilie:

thank you.

For the the admissions tutors and interviewers whom I have spoken to (from both universities), yes.

No, the UCAS form doesn't have any extra space for extra-curriculars: the PS is for both academic and non-academic achievements. A good personal statement should balance both.

GCSEs are one of the less important parts of your application. What really matters is that you got good grades in subjects related to your degree. So no, not really. Though obviously, good grades in everything is ideal.
Lidka
For the the admissions tutors and interviewers whom I have spoken to (from both universities), yes.

No, the UCAS form doesn't have any extra space for extra-curriculars: the PS is for both academic and non-academic achievements. A good personal statement should balance both.

GCSEs are one of the less important parts of your application. What really matters is that you got good grades in subjects related to your degree. So no, not really. Though obviously, good grades in everything is ideal.

thank you!

also, when you mean "yes" was you answering my question (yes, they don't matter, or "yes, they actually do matter£? :confused:

so, also, what you are trying to say is that it doesn't matter what subjects in GCSE, as long as you get the grades, but in A-Level, you have to get the correct subject combinations?
Well obviously, you'd hardly give a second look to a Physics applicant taking Drama, Photography, DT and Accounting would you? :rolleyes:
necessarily benevolent
Well obviously, you'd hardly give a second look to a Physics applicant taking Drama, Photography, DT and Accounting would you? :rolleyes:

heck I would recycle his/her application!
Reply 390
hey you all,

Which university do you consider to be more "hardcore" in their subjects, say, for the really tough courses like medicine?

Yes, both universities are hard work but somehow, Cambridge uni kind of gives me this impression of being more pressurised working environment compared to Oxford. o__O whereas Oxford seem to be more of the type "study hard, play hard" type of uni.
Nimbus
hey you all,

Which university do you consider to be more "hardcore" in their subjects, say, for the really tough courses like medicine?

Yes, both universities are hard work but somehow, Cambridge uni kind of gives me this impression of being more pressurised working environment compared to Oxford. o__O whereas Oxford seem to be more of the type "study hard, play hard" type of uni.

Based on talking to the Cambridge transfer medics, everything seems pretty similar. Debatable in any case whether preclinical medicine is "really tough" compared with other undergraduate degrees.

One factor in the Cambridge course is that a set percentage don't get to do medicine finals for the three years and have to transfer to natural sciences, which probably makes things a bit competitive.

In general, Oxford and Cambridge are far more similar than they are different, and the differences tend to be superficial things.
Im a international student who will be taking GCSE A level.

May i know what are the differences between A level and AS level?
Crystalline
Im a international student who will be taking GCSE A level.

May i know what are the differences between A level and AS level?

AS level is 'Advanced Subsidiary' level, and the first half (usually one year) of a full A level course. A2 is the second half. Scores for both are accumulated to give you a final grade for your A level.
Reply 394
Hey guys,

I don't know whether this has been posted or not but I've got some interesting news on Oxbridge's use of A*AA offers for the 2010 entry and onwards:
Oxford and Cambridge have spoken out about their "A*" requirement decisions as follows:

For Oxford, they will not be introducing any A*(at least for now) for the 2010 entries, likely to introduce it in 2012.
That includes Medicine, still AAA and not expecting anything more.

For Cambridge, most of their subjects will be asking for a requirement of A*AA ffrom the 2010 entry onwards (in some subjects' cases, it's "at least").
The "definite ones" are :
---Natural sciences
---Medicine
[---Mathematics(I think? I'm pretty sure I heard a tutor saying it but not 100% sure)]
H&E
Maximising your chance of getting in:

AS/A2 choices:

AS/A2 choices should be as academic as possible. If [...] you've got a choice between a well respected subject and a one viewed a soft touch (say, history or critical thinking) do the respected one.

What? Since when was History a "soft touch"? Cambridge University themselves say that it is a "keystone" Arts subject.
I Am Herenow
What? Since when was History a "soft touch"? Cambridge University themselves say that it is a "keystone" Arts subject.

I think they mean, if you have the choice between taking History or taking CT, you should take the more academic option i.e. History.
Hey, I was just wondering if im in for a chance at Oxbridge Law, because i know its one of the most competative courses in the world.

For GCSE i got 7A*'s 1 B and 3 A's

At AS and A2 im expecting 2A*'s and 2 A's in History, Law, Physics and Maths

Thanks
srry wrong place XD
BazTheMoney
Private school think they're discriminated against, state schools think they're the ones with the raw deal; when in reality, everyone's treated equally. It's just another excuse for why people get rejected; when the only reason people are is, quiet simply, they're not good enough.

On a side note, it also interesting how people think admission tutor will know every single private school in the country. Yes the top public school are well known, but the local independent school down the road which charges £1,500 a term, and is no better than a good comprehensive will not be known to every admissions person.

Absolute crap, every year dozens of people that deserve to go to oxbridge dont, because of flaws in the system. Similarly every year dozens of people that dont deserve to go to oxbridge so because of flas in the system. Dont use generalising sweeping statements because they be massivly inaccurately potentially dangerously and mentally wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending