The Student Room Group

Deloitte Consultant - Ask Me Anything

Hi all,

Starting an ask me anything for people that may have questions that I can answer. I work in Consulting at Deloitte on their graduate scheme, where I joined last year.

I used this website a lot during university and found it very useful to get my internship and eventual grad job, so happy to give back:smile:

Happy to chat about anything.
Original post by Bells&Whistles
Hi all,

Starting an ask me anything for people that may have questions that I can answer. I work in Consulting at Deloitte on their graduate scheme, where I joined last year.

I used this website a lot during university and found it very useful to get my internship and eventual grad job, so happy to give back:smile:

Hi,
Got a few questions.
1. Where did you study & what course?
2. What grade did you get?
3. How would I go about getting internships in consulting in 1st year alternatively 2nd or 3rd year? (I know this is a broad question lol)
Appreciate the help!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ytared123
Hi,
Got a few questions.
1. Where did you study & what course?
2. What grade did you get?
3. How would I go about getting internships in consulting in 1st year alternatively 2nd or 3rd year? (I know this is a broad question lol)
Appreciate the help!

No problem.

1) Studied a STEM subject (all the way to masters) at a very mid-tier university (think Essex, Kent etc.) - this proved to be difficult because although it's not right, not going to a target university means you're fighting an uphill battle from the get-go.

2) First

3) It's all about standing out from the crowd on your application, making yourself different on paper and doing tons of online tests until you can pass them easily. Then prepping for the interview to ensure that you breeze through it because every possible question they asked, you're practiced it. This is a lot of effort but internships in consulting are few and very competitive. I got mine in accounting at Big 10 then used that to leap frog into Consulting.

Not sure about getting an internship in first year, I've not seen any intern in that position. You would have to be pretty spectacular to beat all the other candidates with years more experience then you. I'd advise that you think outside the box to do this, you'll need senior management references from the firms in question to get your foot in the door, and then smash the process.
No problem.

1) Studied a STEM subject (all the way to masters) at a very mid-tier university (think Essex, Kent etc.) - this proved to be difficult because although it's not right, not going to a target university means you're fighting an uphill battle from the get-go.

2) First

3) It's all about standing out from the crowd on your application, making yourself different on paper and doing tons of online tests until you can pass them easily. Then prepping for the interview to ensure that you breeze through it because every possible question they asked, you're practiced it. This is a lot of effort but internships in consulting are few and very competitive. I got mine in accounting at Big 10 then used that to leap frog into Consulting.

Not sure about getting an internship in first year, I've not seen any intern in that position. You would have to be pretty spectacular to beat all the other candidates with years more experience then you. I'd advise that you think outside the box to do this, you'll need senior management references from the firms in question to get your foot in the door, and then smash the process.

Thanks for the response, really helpful. Do you have any specific tips for standing out from the crowd on your CV? What do you mean by "accounting at Big 10 (new to all of this haha)? And what unis did you see mainly represented at both the internships you went for as well as consulting? Appreciate you taking the time.
Original post by ytared123
Thanks for the response, really helpful. Do you have any specific tips for standing out from the crowd on your CV? What do you mean by "accounting at Big 10 (new to all of this haha)? And what unis did you see mainly represented at both the internships you went for as well as consulting? Appreciate you taking the time.

Standing out:
Everyone will have a first class degree from a good university and be on the committee for society X. So think of ways to improve that. Anything that can show that you're a leader/self-starter will help here. If you can say you ran events, raised money, created a new society etc. will improve your CV. Always related numbers to what you did if you can. Also apply for as many scholarships you can these will look impressive. There's a ton of content out there to learn how to tailor your CV to consulting you should research. Finally, know how to best showcase your skills and experience, don't undersell yourself!!

Big 10 are the 10 largest accounting firms in the UK.

University's I saw were mostly Russell Group, with a lot of Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Durham and Warwick. Also a lot of people from internationals schools. That said, people come from all sorts of university's, not just the above.
Standing out:
Everyone will have a first class degree from a good university and be on the committee for society X. So think of ways to improve that. Anything that can show that you're a leader/self-starter will help here. If you can say you ran events, raised money, created a new society etc. will improve your CV. Always related numbers to what you did if you can. Also apply for as many scholarships you can these will look impressive. There's a ton of content out there to learn how to tailor your CV to consulting you should research. Finally, know how to best showcase your skills and experience, don't undersell yourself!!

Big 10 are the 10 largest accounting firms in the UK.

University's I saw were mostly Russell Group, with a lot of Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Durham and Warwick. Also a lot of people from internationals schools. That said, people come from all sorts of university's, not just the above.

Ok awesome, thanks man
Reply 6
Hi,
I would like to know how many position we could apply for in Graduate Scheme.

Many Thanks,
Reply 7
Hi all,

hi, do you think a vet med undergraduate could apply.
thankyou
Reply 8
Original post by Bla Potatis
Hi,
I would like to know how many position we could apply for in Graduate Scheme.

Many Thanks,

You should check the FAQs on the website, but I believe it is one application per year (across both intakes they do a year)
Reply 9
Original post by sara174
hi, do you think a vet med undergraduate could apply.
thankyou

The degree you take doesn't matter, anyone can apply. There are people on the scheme that have done art degrees.
Reply 10
The degree you take doesn't matter, anyone can apply. There are people on the scheme that have done art degrees.

thankyou so much for your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending