The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Travelling to Coventry University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Optimum_
I'd recommend catching the bus at first, but once you're comfortable with the area walking is the quickest option. I use to travel from Birmingham in my first year, now I'm moving to Cov.

Oh and reading a book is a pretty good way to kill some train time. I went through about 12 or 13 books during my first year reading only on the train. I had read roughly 3 books in the 2 years before that haha.

That's true, I'll probably catch the bus and once I'm comfortable I'll start walking. I enjoy reading books tbf, I particularly enjoy diary of a wimpy kid books. I will probably head out to my local library and borrow a lot of books to read :biggrin:

What do you study at Coventry University btw? :smile:
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by Anonymousxxxxxxx
Thank you sooo much! I'M 5ft 6 lmao. I was hoping to catch the bus from Coventry train station but I may walk but I'm scared of getting lost LOL.. I can always ask the person on the bus if this is going to Coventry University (Faculty of Engineering) .. This is what Coventry University website says:
"Alternatively, bus numbers 8/8A/9/9A/85/585/X30 leave the station for the city centre every ten minutes (every 30 minutes after 6pm). Ask the driver for 'Pool Meadow', which is the bus terminus. This is opposite Priory Street. Make sure you have the exact cash ready as no change is given on the buses.If you choose to walk, it will take you 15–20 minutes. There are extensive building works between the train station and the city. There are pedestrian diversion signs to the city centre, then pedestrian signposts to Coventry Cathedral."So my safe bet is catching the 8, 8A and 585?

I shall tell you how I learnt my ways from the station to the Uni.

In the mornings once you arrive at Cov Station, there will be a crowd of people with backpacks making their way out of the station. They will a take a right once they leave, follow them.

That's how I learnt my ways.
Original post by moonkatt
No need, it's only a short walk form Cov train station to the university. It's all been done up outside the station lately, I visited some family in Cov recently and it was unrecognisable and actually looks nice. (It takes a lot for me to compliment that place :tongue:)

Oh okay, I haven't been there recently so it will be nice to have a look! Hopefully it won't be so bad for me to walk, I don't mind walking I'm just scared of getting lost and missing my lectures LOL

I shall tell you how I learnt my ways from the station to the Uni.

In the mornings once you arrive at Cov Station, there will be a crowd of people with backpacks making their way out of the station. They will a take a right once they leave, follow them.

That's how I learnt my ways.

Oh okay, thank you. I will keep my eyes open for them :wink: .. Sorry for all the questions, I will be studying BSc Computer Science so I will need to make my way towards the Faculty of Engineering building :frown: .. Hopefully, all will be okay!

That's true, I'll probably catch the bus and once I'm comfortable I'll start walking. I enjoy reading books tbf, I particularly enjoy diary of a wimpy kid books. I will probably head out to my local library and borrow a lot of books to read :biggrin:

Aerospace Engineering
Aerospace Engineering

Oh, sounds interesting :smile:
Oh, sounds interesting :smile:

I enjoyed the first year. Btw, the engineering and computing building is sweet. There's also a Starbucks there when you need some energy in the morning haha.
(You probably already knew that)
Oh okay, I haven't been there recently so it will be nice to have a look! Hopefully it won't be so bad for me to walk, I don't mind walking I'm just scared of getting lost and missing my lectures LOL

It's pretty easy to get there from the train station, it's not a bad idea to pop over and have a trial run of getting there though. You could have a little look about and see what there is to do around the town centre too

I'm not at Cov uni, or a student any more, but I lived in Cov and have family there so I'm familiar with the place :smile:
Reply 28
Buses are definitely more bearable.

I think I could survive another year of travelling but I'd save so much time if I stayed in cov. Time is money :wink:

Oh, and being able to go home during the 3 hour breaks. That was a killer!

Fml, I had one of those 3 hour breaks in my first year but at least I had a day off in the week. For the second year I had two days with only one hour classes. I'm not sure which is worse, 9-6 day with 3 hours break or spending 1.5 hours hours commuting each way (3 hours total) for a one hour lesson.

Thank you sooo much! I'M 5ft 6 lmao. I was hoping to catch the bus from Coventry train station but I may walk but I'm scared of getting lost LOL.. I can always ask the person on the bus if this is going to Coventry University (Faculty of Engineering) .. This is what Coventry University website says:
"Alternatively, bus numbers 8/8A/9/9A/85/585/X30 leave the station for the city centre every ten minutes (every 30 minutes after 6pm). Ask the driver for 'Pool Meadow', which is the bus terminus. This is opposite Priory Street. Make sure you have the exact cash ready as no change is given on the buses.If you choose to walk, it will take you 15–20 minutes. There are extensive building works between the train station and the city. There are pedestrian diversion signs to the city centre, then pedestrian signposts to Coventry Cathedral."

So my safe bet is catching the 8, 8A and 585?

I study Accountancy :smile: I'm guessing you study some kind of Engineering course :biggrin:

Yes
As long as you get on the right one, the 9 and 9A are good too.

As for walking

Golden rule for any new student. I think we all did this lool just follow the crowd.
I live in Sandwell so I will be catching the one way train to Coventry University. My question is that, if I purchase the following pass for bus, train and metro will I be able to use it in Coventry? As it says it covers all zones and on the map Coventry is "zone 5". Feeling confused :frown:

I will be purchasing the "All Buses Plus all Rail Zones and the Metro
For all buses* in the Network West Midlands area plus all
rail zones and Metro travel. £260.00 http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/student/Student.aspx"

Does anyone here travel to Coventry University? If so, have you brought a travel pass or do you just buy tickets everyday? :s-smilie:

I live in Coventry and it is possible to walk from the train station to the university in 20 minutes depending on how fast you walk although there is a lot of building work and traffic and you might have to go under a few subways. Buses are expensive with £1.90 for an adult fare one way and taxis can be costly as well. As someone said the number 8 and 9 go stop outside the university but make sure you get on the one going to "university hospital" or "walsgrave" as these pass through the city centre but not the one saying "green lane". The city isn't the most attractive but is quite safe for its size. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
I enjoyed the first year. Btw, the engineering and computing building is sweet. There's also a Starbucks there when you need some energy in the morning haha.
(You probably already knew that)

Haha, I went there for open day and it was soo lovely. Yummy, starbucks! I love caramel frappucinos :wink: can tell I'm going to spend most of my time there LOL
Original post by moonkatt
It's pretty easy to get there from the train station, it's not a bad idea to pop over and have a trial run of getting there though. You could have a little look about and see what there is to do around the town centre too

I'm not at Cov uni, or a student any more, but I lived in Cov and have family there so I'm familiar with the place :smile:

Oh okay! Thank you for your help :smile: .. I'm going to take a trial with my friend after I get my bus, train and metro pass sorted :biggrin:
Original post by Compact
Fml, I had one of those 3 hour breaks in my first year but at least I had a day off in the week. For the second year I had two days with only one hour classes. I'm not sure which is worse, 9-6 day with 3 hours break or spending 1.5 hours hours commuting each way (3 hours total) for a one hour lesson.

I study Accountancy :smile: I'm guessing you study some kind of Engineering course :biggrin:

Yes
As long as you get on the right one, the 9 and 9A are good too.

As for walking

Golden rule for any new student. I think we all did this lool just follow the crowd.

Sounds interesting! Yeah, I'm going to be studying BSc Computer Science :smile: .. LOOL yeah just follow the crowd 8-)
Original post by Compact

Those one hour lessons were horrible. I got no days off sadly, 2 one hour days though. Another day on just one lecture in the morning (9-11 lol).

Pretty bad timetable.
Original post by iodo345
I live in Coventry and it is possible to walk from the train station to the university in 20 minutes depending on how fast you walk although there is a lot of building work and traffic and you might have to go under a few subways. Buses are expensive with £1.90 for an adult fare one way and taxis can be costly as well. As someone said the number 8 and 9 go stop outside the university but make sure you get on the one going to "university hospital" or "walsgrave" as these pass through the city centre but not the one saying "green lane". The city isn't the most attractive but is quite safe for its size. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Oh okay. Thank you so much for your help :smile: .. I will have a bus pass so I won't have to pay for bus fare right? :s-smilie: .. Tbh, I'd prefer to walk but I'm scared of getting lost. I'm going to go for a trial run with my friend and see how far we get! LOL .. I'm going to try walking first and see how it goes, if not just catch bus. In all honesty, I don't want to be waiting for the bus everyday otherwise I'll be late to my lectures so it's better for me to walk.

I've been to Coventry University before but I got the "shuttle bus" on the open day so I didn't really walk towards the University loll
Oh okay. Thank you so much for your help :smile: .. I will have a bus pass so I won't have to pay for bus fare right? :s-smilie: .. Tbh, I'd prefer to walk but I'm scared of getting lost. I'm going to go for a trial run with my friend and see how far we get! LOL .. I'm going to try walking first and see how it goes, if not just catch bus. In all honesty, I don't want to be waiting for the bus everyday otherwise I'll be late to my lectures so it's better for me to walk.

I've been to Coventry University before but I got the "shuttle bus" on the open day so I didn't really walk towards the University loll

Your bus pass should be fine to use on the buses 8 and 9. I think they actually painted a long dark blue line from the train station to the city centre for visitors so if you follow this you can't get lost. I don't know if it still exists due to all the construction work but I'm heading to the station tomorrow and I'll message you back if it is still there.
Original post by iodo345
Your bus pass should be fine to use on the buses 8 and 9. I think they actually painted a long dark blue line from the train station to the city centre for visitors so if you follow this you can't get lost. I don't know if it still exists due to all the construction work but I'm heading to the station tomorrow and I'll message you back if it is still there.

That's good then, do the buses come on time usually or are they usually running late? .. Thank you, that's great! :biggrin:
That's good then, do the buses come on time usually or are they usually running late? .. Thank you, that's great! :biggrin:

The buses usually are frequent to the station and in the city centre with a maximum wait of 10-15 minutes between each bus. I think the last buses for the 8 and 9 is 22:15 and times vary from Monday-Friday and weekends. Sadly, to other parts of the city the bus service isn't as quick and the electronic timetable you see at bus stops isn't the most accurate. If you're just travelling to the city centre from the station you'll be fine though.
Original post by iodo345
The buses usually are frequent to the station and in the city centre with a maximum wait of 10-15 minutes between each bus. I think the last buses for the 8 and 9 is 22:15 and times vary from Monday-Friday and weekends. Sadly, to other parts of the city the bus service isn't as quick and the electronic timetable you see at bus stops isn't the most accurate. If you're just travelling to the city centre from the station you'll be fine though.

Oh okay. Yeah, I'll just be travelling to and from Coventry University :smile:
Reply 39
Sounds interesting! Yeah, I'm going to be studying BSc Computer Science :smile: .. LOOL yeah just follow the crowd 8-)

It's funnier when you actually see the crowd. Best of luck though, the first few days can be daunting but you'll get the hang of it. Also, you have the induction and freshers week to get used to it all.

Those one hour lessons were horrible. I got no days off sadly, 2 one hour days though. Another day on just one lecture in the morning (9-11 lol).

Pretty bad timetable.

My second year timetable was like that with no days off but since we knew the teachers by then it was easier to change seminar classes. In the end I had one day off :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest