The Student Room Group

Some stupid questions

I have been hired at my work experience for the summer. I work 5 days a week for 6 and a half hours. This will be for roughly 5 weeks. I get minimum wage (6.50). Really dumb question, but would I be paid half the minimum wage for the half an hour I work? Also how much tax am I going to have to pay towards NI? I know I shouldnt get income tax. Sorry if these questions are stupid but this is my first paying job. Thanks.
Original post by BlueDahlia
I have been hired at my work experience for the summer. I work 5 days a week for 6 and a half hours. This will be for roughly 5 weeks. I get minimum wage (6.50). Really dumb question, but would I be paid half the minimum wage for the half an hour I work? Also how much tax am I going to have to pay towards NI? I know I shouldnt get income tax. Sorry if these questions are stupid but this is my first paying job. Thanks.

Yes, you would be paid for the half hour dont worry. You wouldn't have to pay much tax at all since it's only 5 weeks of work. I think maybe some towards NI, but thats it. Expect to get around 1K at the end of it after tax.
Reply 2
Original post by bailfire
Yes, you would be paid for the half hour dont worry. You wouldn't have to pay much tax at all since it's only 5 weeks of work. I think maybe some towards NI, but thats it. Expect to get around 1K at the end of it after tax.

Thank you. I worked out I would get about 1,050 but I was worried I would only get about half of that due to tax.
Original post by BlueDahlia
Thank you. I worked out I would get about 1,050 but I was worried I would only get about half of that due to tax.

Nah, you're good. They would never take that much on minimum wage + 1 months work. You'll probably get more than 1,000 but that's just my rough estimate.
Reply 4
You would only get National Insurance if your over 155 a week, however I'm not certain how much.
Do u get taxed on ur salary if you're 18 and a student?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending