The Student Room Group

How often do you get to play games consoles for at uni?

I'm starting in September and was wondering how much people get to play their games consoles? I have an Xbox which I'm regularly on, on daily basis.
Idea's anyone? Thoughts?
If you're my house mate then 24/7 while you don't pay rent or shower and stink up the living room and kitchen area with your poor hygiene and mess :angry:

Haha, but no seriously it'll depend greatly on your course and uni. Though from what I've seen first year you have a lot more free time, so you should be able to play on it on the weekends at the very least. Though I do recommend toning down how much you're on it and focussing on work.
First year - As much as you want as long as you are assured in getting 40 percent
The remaining years - If you're on some strenuous medicine course....yeah....you'll not be seeing your Xbox for a good few years. If you're doing Media Studies you'll spend more time on it than studying.
Depends on how busy you are with uni? My course was really demanding this year so I hardly had free time. When I did I was either really tired so slept, or was going out.
Original post by somemightsay888
First year - As much as you want as long as you are assured in getting 40 percent
The remaining years - If you're on some strenuous medicine course....yeah....you'll not be seeing your Xbox for a good few years. If you're doing Media Studies you'll spend more time on it than studying.

Just as another note, a lot of people say first year doesn't matter so long as you get 40% (pass).

I must say this is not at all true. Whilst yes in most cases your first year grades don't count towards your degree classification, how well you do can and often does matter in other areas.

For one some courses require more than 40% to proceed to the next level. Secondly it's important to build up your skills and work ethic/routine in first year so you don't fall behind in second year from the shock of it suddenly not being so easy. And also while first year grades don't count towards your degree classification your grades still go on your transcript, which many employers ask to see.

Also many universities won't offer help (or a good reference) for getting onto placement years and programmes if you get a poor first year grade. On my course if you get below a 2:1 (60%) in first year the university won't offer any help in finding a placement and they won't offer a recommendation either.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just create a routine. Dirnog the day do work. Evening is time off. Like a job. Sure every so often you will find yourself in the situation where it gets a bit on top of you but that is not all the time. Just makes sure you don;t leave things for last minute.
Reply 6
Ahh, i see! Thank you all! Well, i'm doing sports coaching and physical education (really does tell alot about me and my physical activity haha!) Buut thank you, i'm not too sure about what i need to get for a pass etc etc! im excited, however i think my dear xbox will be used for music and netflic then! Thank you all again!
Original post by SophieSmall
x

Oh yh, forgot about the experience year stuff, sound.
Original post by amyperridge
Ahh, i see! Thank you all! Well, i'm doing sports coaching and physical education (really does tell alot about me and my physical activity haha!) Buut thank you, i'm not too sure about what i need to get for a pass etc etc! im excited, however i think my dear xbox will be used for music and netflic then! Thank you all again!

These things vary for everyone, different people will always have different workloads and different amounts of free time, and choose how they spend that free time differently. Take your Xbox if you enjoy playing on it, even if you find you don't have time for daily gaming you're still more than likely going to get some downtime in the week where playing video games is fine :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest