The Student Room Group

Advice: Absolute gym novice.

Hey.
I just wondering could somebody give me tips/ideas what to start on at the gym?
I've never been to the gym before.
I'm female, 5'2 and currently very unfit oops.
I'd really appreciate any sort of help!
Thanks
Just copy a girl at the gym

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make sure you eat enough, the worst thing you can do is diet and start exercising at the same time. This sends your body into a catabolic state where you start burning muscle as well as fat, so you wont make progress.

Also, take progress pictures, once a week or so, it sounds silly but it genuinely very helpful to motivate yourself to keep going.

Finally make sure you have a good balance of cardio and muscle exercises :smile:
Original post by IIEquinoxII
Make sure you eat enough, the worst thing you can do is diet and start exercising at the same time. This sends your body into a catabolic state where you start burning muscle as well as fat, so you wont make progress.

Also, take progress pictures, once a week or so, it sounds silly but it genuinely very helpful to motivate yourself to keep going.

Finally make sure you have a good balance of cardio and muscle exercises :smile:

Loled at first sentence xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Read the FAQ at the top of the fitness page. If you are left with more specific questions then ask those but all your 101 general stuff is in the sticky
Just become a cardio bunny
Original post by The_Blade
Loled at first sentence xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why?
Reply 7
Bench, squat and deadlift.

Add accessory movements and make sure you eat enough food if you wish to actually progress, body should recomp anyhow if you're new to the gym and haven't lifted.

Add cardio if you want, but 10-20 minutes pre-workout or post workout should be sufficient enough for cardiovascular health.

Youtube and Google is your friend, search up for movements and create a routine. Or just look for a standard 5x5 routine such as starting strength etc.
Reply 8
I came across a great post on weight lifting for women that really helped me change my game plan when it comes to working out- http://www.beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/fitness/10-reasons-women-need-lift-weights It's important that you find what works for you and I hope this article gives you some direction. Good luck and stay with it.
Reply 9
Original post by kendellex
Hey.
I just wondering could somebody give me tips/ideas what to start on at the gym?
I've never been to the gym before.
I'm female, 5'2 and currently very unfit oops.
I'd really appreciate any sort of help!
Thanks

Don't go to the gym

Go to sports direct, buy some cheap trainers and run for as long as you can multiple times a week.
Original post by zKlown
Don't go to the gym

Go to sports direct, buy some cheap trainers and run for as long as you can multiple times a week.

Sounds like a cracking way to get shin splints or achilles tendinopathy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Join a MMA gym instead, best way to get fit and you learn something useful. Win-win situation.
Reply 12
Original post by RollerBall
Sounds like a cracking way to get shin splints or achilles tendinopathy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why I said "as long as you can".

Obviously you take things gently and ease your way into it.

C'mon man, don't overcomplicate things

Quick Reply

Latest