The Student Room Group

I really don't know what to do :(

Hello! I'm 22. Since I was about 12/13, I always wanted to be a photographer, or a journalist, or a bit of both. I didn't go to sixth form, but went to college instead and studied Media (I got a Triple Distinction).

I wasn't really interested in University, but I applied for a course at the last minute. My graphic design was apparently always really good when I did Media, so I studied Digital Design & Photography at Uni, where my photography improved by miles. (Literally that as well).

I'm currently employed in retail full-time.

It's so hard to get any job in the photography/video or design or journalism area. I've applied for a lot over the past few years, and it's either I've not received a reply, or I haven't got enough experience. I've asked companies for work experience, but no one seems to bother replying. One company said they couldn't due to "health and safety" - what!?

It just feels like I'm getting nowhere.However, I suppose I best not mention the company, but I currently work in a food hall of a store (it's not a supermarket). My managers have always said i'm a good, hard worker. A few months ago, I was asked if I'd like to progress in retail. I had my mind set to journalism & photography, I thought I was getting somewhere, so I said no.

But now I'm wondering if I should have gone for it? What if I'm destined to be a successful manager?I really don't know what to do. Thoughts?
I personally would not advocate going into retail if it's not what you care about. People have finitely many heartbeats and decisions like that can really waste them.

Work experience doesn't have to be from a company. I've got a few photographer friends - one in particular asked the local football club he supports if they'd like photos taken (for free, since he does it for its own sake - but the experience is what matters!). Building a portfolio of 'work' to present will count as experience. There are probably all sorts of events that might want freelance photographers, from airshows to gymnastics competitions.
In my opinion don't give up to achieve ur goal...it may be destined after a couple of months or so to study journalism & photography...just keep trying
I think u should have said yes to the offer but at the same time u did mention ur not really into retail I personally think its also a good career choice
it is ur decision what u wish to do though...just wait for the correct time u never know when u will be working for a big firm in journalism & photography
all the best
Original post by FireGarden
I personally would not advocate going into retail if it's not what you care about. People have finitely many heartbeats and decisions like that can really waste them.

Work experience doesn't have to be from a company. I've got a few photographer friends - one in particular asked the local football club he supports if they'd like photos taken (for free, since he does it for its own sake - but the experience is what matters!). Building a portfolio of 'work' to present will count as experience. There are probably all sorts of events that might want freelance photographers, from airshows to gymnastics competitions.

Original post by sim12345
In my opinion don't give up to achieve ur goal...it may be destined after a couple of months or so to study journalism & photography...just keep trying
I think u should have said yes to the offer but at the same time u did mention ur not really into retail I personally think its also a good career choice
it is ur decision what u wish to do though...just wait for the correct time u never know when u will be working for a big firm in journalism & photography
all the best

Thank you :smile:

Something will come up I hope!
Original post by 2scotty
Thank you :smile:

Something will come up I hope!

no worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest