The Student Room Group

Gap year

i am currently in a university but thinking about taking a gap year this year but with the grades i got i know i can't really get into any university without a foundation year and i really don't want to do a foundation year so i don't know what to do and i know that people in the upcoming year are more likely to get better grades as this years a levels were horrible so i know im competing with students with better grades but i don't know what to do. Could anyone advise me
I'm very confused by what you want to do. Why would you want to take a gap year when you've already started university? Walk me through your situation and thoughts, please, so we can understand what's going on and provide better advice.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Dichhya12
i am currently in a university but thinking about taking a gap year this year but with the grades i got i know i can't really get into any university without a foundation year and i really don't want to do a foundation year so i don't know what to do and i know that people in the upcoming year are more likely to get better grades as this years a levels were horrible so i know im competing with students with better grades but i don't know what to do. Could anyone advise me

Hiya , I understand what your mean. I'm retaking my alevels and I really wish I didn't have to and they I could be at uni rn. Your life is a different pathway to others, the important thing is - are you enrolled on a foundation degree that leads into the degree that you want to go to?
Reply 3
no I'm not doing a foundation year i just don't like the place tbh

Original post by Jannet2ester
Hiya , I understand what your mean. I'm retaking my alevels and I really wish I didn't have to and they I could be at uni rn. Your life is a different pathway to others, the important thing is - are you enrolled on a foundation degree that leads into the degree that you want to go to?
Reply 4
i really don't like the university i go to and i am just not happy here.
Original post by Scotland Yard
I'm very confused by what you want to do. Why would you want to take a gap year when you've already started university? Walk me through your situation and thoughts, please, so we can understand what's going on and provide better advice.
i really don't like the university i go to and i am just not happy here.

Well, I'd give the university a few more weeks to see if your opinion changes, but it it doesn't then you might want to quit and reapply. If your A levels don't meet the entry requirements for the places you want to apply to, then resit them. Your old school will probably let you resit your exams with them. Hope this helps.
Reply 6
thank you but im just worrying about the tuition fee because i don't think there is a point in dropping out if i have to pay the whole fee
Original post by Scotland Yard
Well, I'd give the university a few more weeks to see if your opinion changes, but it it doesn't then you might want to quit and reapply. If your A levels don't meet the entry requirements for the places you want to apply to, then resit them. Your old school will probably let you resit your exams with them. Hope this helps.
thank you but im just worrying about the tuition fee because i don't think there is a point in dropping out if i have to pay the whole fee

You're better off asking student finance, but I think you don't have to pay the whole fee if you drop out during the first semester.

Quick Reply

Latest