The Student Room Group

questions about clubbing? thanks

I'm scared about going to a club for a first time with my friends. I turned 18 three months ago and I've never been in one and I feel so embarassed and inadequate because of it I promise I'm not a weirdo or a loner :L

I'm going to university, I have a part time job, i have lots of friends who I've been on holiday with at concerts, gigs and festivals with

Most of them have never been to a club either but we're going soon and I'm scared.

I'm a bit shy/awkward so I don't feel comfortable dancing around people - are there many people at clubs who just stay seated or stand at the sides or around the bar without dancing or will I just look weird?
(I've heard firewater in Glasgow is good if you don't want to dance - is this true? is there anywhere else in glasgow like this?)

I want to drink a bit so I'll feel a more relaxed and comfortable but I really really really really don't want my mum and dad to know I've had a drink so I can't get drunk :frown:
- how much would you say I could drink but be sober enough for them not tonotice when I come home?I know I'm not fat but I'm really self conscious that I'm not skinny. I hate my thighs and knees so I hate the thought of short skirt/dresses with bare legs :frown: - is it ok to wear black tights in a club? do other people wear black tights in a club? :P
If not I guess I could wear high waisted jeans, heels and a fancy strappy top but i hate the tops of my thighs in jeans :L

any advice at all is really appreciated :smile: thnku v v v much :smile:
If you have been to a gig and festival then I don't think a club will be that different. Its just loud and crowded but there's normally a space you can go.. I wouldn't say a chair is guarenteed but it depends where you are. With dress code jeans are fine, even if you feel self conscious noone will even be able to see your legs and it's much safer too.
To answer your alcohol question, my advice is to only have a couple of drinks and have tap water after each one :smile: just have fun and don't stay anywhere you don't feel comfortable
Original post by Daffodill

I want to drink a bit so I'll feel a more relaxed and comfortable but I really really really really don't want my mum and dad to know I've had a drink so I can't get drunk :frown:
- how much would you say I could drink but be sober enough for them not tonotice when I come home?

Just go straight to bed like I do :rofl:

Or say you're sleeping over at someone's.

It's hard to know your limit when drinking at first, but a few shots should be just fine.
Clubbing for the first time always seems the worst but looking back on it my first time was my best, all the club's I've been to there's been seats or chairs where people sit , dancing is usually better when you're a bit drunk as I fount out and I HATE dancing, everyone is usually much more friendly than you think as well, also jeans are fine, see lots of girls clubbing in jeans, best way to find what's good to wear is look on the club's facebook/twitter/insta page and they usually have a photographer who takes pictures of everyone in the club and then puts them on the page, just seem what those people are wearing and it's usually a good indicator of what sort of clothes to wear (weather it's more smart or casual) youll be fine aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depending how hot you are be prepared to get swarmed around by a number of guys wanting to sleep with you. A lot of people sit down and stand at the bars at clubs as well. You don't have to dance on the dancefloor, most people just move slightly anyway. Hardly anyone ever properly dances
Original post by Daffodill
I'm scared about going to a club for a first time with my friends. I turned 18 three months ago and I've never been in one and I feel so embarassed and inadequate because of it I promise I'm not a weirdo or a loner :L

I'm going to university, I have a part time job, i have lots of friends who I've been on holiday with at concerts, gigs and festivals with

Most of them have never been to a club either but we're going soon and I'm scared.

I'm a bit shy/awkward so I don't feel comfortable dancing around people - are there many people at clubs who just stay seated or stand at the sides or around the bar without dancing or will I just look weird?
(I've heard firewater in Glasgow is good if you don't want to dance - is this true? is there anywhere else in glasgow like this?)

- how much would you say I could drink but be sober enough for them not tonotice when I come home?I know I'm not fat but I'm really self conscious that I'm not skinny. I hate my thighs and knees so I hate the thought of short skirt/dresses with bare legs :frown: - is it ok to wear black tights in a club? do other people wear black tights in a club? :P
If not I guess I could wear high waisted jeans, heels and a fancy strappy top but i hate the tops of my thighs in jeans :L

any advice at all is really appreciated :smile: thnku v v v much :smile:

Hello,

It's a common misconception that university and Freshers is all about drinking, you don't have to go out clubbing if you don't want too? If I was you, I wouldn't look for going to clubs, I'd look for quiet bars where you can sit down and chill out. If you going to a proper nightclub where everyone dances, you'll look a bit weird if you're just stood at the sit or at the bar - however, a lot of clubs have different floors or rooms and some are just for sitting it so you can enjoy the music and just have a chat.

However, you shouldn't be nervous about dancing in a club. It's dark and no one dances good in a club anyone, it's just having fun and letting the music get the better of you! No one can tell you how much you can drink to be sober?
It sounds like you've been very shelted about drinking and what not. Sounds like you've never been drunk and that's not a bad thing, no one is judging you for that. If you've never drunk much, it won't take you much at all to get drunk.
Why don't you want your mum and dad knowing? You are 18. You are legal to drink. Girls were leggings and what not in clubs, high wasted jeans - however jeans aren't always allowed in clubs, make sure they aren't denim. If they are black you'll be fine - for the 'nicer' clubs, they is a sort of dress code. You can't wait trainers etc. You'll learn all this I believe though!
You just need some experience to be honest. No one can tell you what to wear or how much to drink or not drink.

You do know you don't have to drink though? You don't have to club?
If that's not what you want, don't force yourself.

If you want anymore information or have anymore questions, just PM me.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending