The Student Room Group

Subjects to pick for Oxford Law?

I'm in Year 10, moving in to Year 11 and I achieved 7 A*s and 4 As for my mock exams at the end of the last school year, with my predictions being all A*'s next year. I'm more than confident I can achieve at least 11 A*s and 1A for my GCSE's (with that A being for Spanish), so I've started to look at what I should pick for sixth form. I want to study Law, and the subjects I want to pick are;
History, English Literature, Economics (I want to hopefully go on to study corporate law) and Government and Politics. However, I have had people tell me, mainly family members who did their GCSE's years ago, that Politics is a weak subject to pick for A Level and would limit my chances, and I'd be better of picking something that would show I'm a flexible learner, such as a Science subject, because of how the A Level Politics course requires minimal critical thinking and analysis and is more based on reading and learning facts from textbooks. What I'm worried about though, is that if I were to choose Physics/Chemistry, it could hurt my grades for my other subjects because it is relatively difficult and would take up a lot of my time. My argument is that it would be better for me to get something along the lines of 3 A*s and an A with Politics as one of my subjects than it would be to get 3/4 As and maybe an A* with Physics or Chemistry as an option. What do you think? Also, there is no way I'm doing Maths as one of my options for A Level. I hate Maths. Also, keep in mind I am genuinely interested in Politics
Reply 1
Politics is not a weak subject at all. Many people who have gone to study at Oxford have done politics.
Don't think too much now. Next year you may drastically change your opinions on what you want to do.

Think about what subjects you enjoy more. UCAS's facilitated A Levels : Geogtaphy, History, Maths, Further Maths, English Lit, 3 sciences and MFL.

So I'd do 3 from here, and 1 of econ or gov pol to be safe. For Cambridge, your UMS percentages will be taken into account. For Oxford, they won't have this information, so doing respected a Levels may help. You can afford to take harder subjects, you just need 4 As. Obviously, to get an interview you need good LNAT and good GCSEs. And after that it's all on the interview!
A girl at my school got given a place for Law this year at Oxford. Her subjects are Maths, History, Sociology, Spanish and General Studies... take from that what you may.
Reply 4
Really? Because Oxford specifically says that General Studies isn't a viable A Level
^Well the other 4 seem fine enough, provided she's doing atleast 3 of Maths, Sociology, Spanish and History to A2, there shouldn't be a problem.
Original post by lucsus
I'm in Year 10, moving in to Year 11 and I achieved 7 A*s and 4 As for my mock exams at the end of the last school year, with my predictions being all A*'s next year. I'm more than confident I can achieve at least 11 A*s and 1A for my GCSE's (with that A being for Spanish), so I've started to look at what I should pick for sixth form. I want to study Law, and the subjects I want to pick are;
History, English Literature, Economics (I want to hopefully go on to study corporate law) and Government and Politics.

That is a perfectly good and respectable set of subjects for a Law application.

If those are the subjects you want to do, then go for it.
She is doing all 5 plus general studies is compulsory at my school

Quick Reply

Latest