The Student Room Group

Need advice for IGCSE results

Hi folks! As you may know, the CIE IGCSE 2015 M/J results have been released. I felt pretty good about my exams but was heavily disappointed when I actually got them. I'll post my grades here with my percentage uniform marks so you can see what predicament I'm in.

World Literature: B, 77
Drama: A, 83
History: A, 87
First Language English: B, 78
Foreign Language Spanish: A*, 95
Cambridge International Mathematics: A*, 92
Biology: A, 88
Chemistry: A*, 94
Physics: A, 89

I'm from a family filled with professionals (Lawyers, doctors, aeronautical engineering) so I am expected to perform well. My parents are fine with my As and A*s but they won't let me hear the end of it when it comes to World Lit and First Language English. They make it seem like B is toxic and I'm just having a terrible day because my mother just won't stop talking about peers who outperformed me in some subjects and missing the fact that I outperformed the same people in other areas as well.

My problems/questions which hopefully one of you awesome people can help me with:

I am aware about remarks. Do you think it's worth giving in Biology, Physics, First Language English, History and World Literature in for remarks? I've heard stories about our senior year getting a substantial increase on a remark. I really want to get rid of those B's so my parents can simply stop.

Is there any way to make my parents stop? Sure, some people performed better than me and they won't stop talking about how X person got 5* and I only got 3. It's not even like they want me to perform in a specific area. It's like they want me to ace the entire board. I told them it's not possible but they won't listen to me. They keep saying I didn't "work enough" regardless of them knowing I worked for 9 hours a day during study leave and holidays and as much as I could in a school week.

Have any of you people found a weird trend with English results? I've noticed that some excellent English students got out of the place B's while average (C grade students) got out of the place A's. Do let me know if this happened to you. What do you think has caused this?

I've heard the community here is great and it would be just great if I could have some answers. Thanks guys and I hope your IGCSE results are great!
Aww :frown: I'm sorry about your parents. I know the feeling.
Well I think your results are amazing :hugs:
Yeah you can get them re marked. You never know if you never try.
Do it because you want to though and not because of your parents.
Just sit them down and tell them that the exams are over and done with and giving you grief about your results won't make it better. Tell them you worked really hard and tried your best. It's not like you can re take the exams because by most college's standards your results are perfect :smile:
You have to say all this politely though.
If that doesn't work then just tune them out. So long as you believe you did good their opinion doesn't really matter does it? Don't compare yourself to your family members. You are you and you might probably do better/be more successful than all of them in the future so long as you keep on working hard.
Gcse's don't matter much in the long run anyway. You just need them to get into sixth form :smile:

I know all this seems easier said than done but it's the truth :redface:
Original post by StrawbAri
Aww :frown: I'm sorry about your parents. I know the feeling.
Well I think your results are amazing :hugs:
Yeah you can get them re marked. You never know if you never try.
Do it because you want to though and not because of your parents.
Just sit them down and tell them that the exams are over and done with and giving you grief about your results won't make it better. Tell them you worked really hard and tried your best. It's not like you can re take the exams because by most college's standards your results are perfect :smile:
You have to say all this politely though.
If that doesn't work then just tune them out. So long as you believe you did good their opinion doesn't really matter does it? Don't compare yourself to your family members. You are you and you might probably do better/be more successful than all of them in the future so long as you keep on working hard.
Gcse's don't matter much in the long run anyway. You just need them to get into sixth form :smile:

I know all this seems easier said than done but it's the truth :redface:

Thanks for being super positive. Means a lot.

Yeah, I'm super interested with remarking my exams because on closer examination, I can see that all the grades which weren't A* were damn close so it's worth a shot. I don't need to retake these exams but I want to see if I can push my FLE and Lit results over the edge of B into A for my own satisfaction as well.

I personally am a little disappointed but I am moving on and focusing on my IB now. If my parents won't let me start fresh and will ramble on about the past, I will shut them out until they realize their mistakes. I'm a person who is looking forward to a competitive college. These grades are sort of competitive but I feel the B is a bit out of place for a student who constantly aims high. I have an issue with my parents because they're constantly voicing their disappointment. I am disappointed too but I don't want to hear constant nagging.

I'm eligible for the IB diploma so no worries about my results in that way haha!

Quick Reply

Latest