The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Accommodation Swap Thread

Hi all,

Due to the popularity of accommodation swapping in this sub-forum, we've decided to make a megathread.

So that we can cover ourselves and yourselves - please read the following pointers about accommodation swapping...

By initiating a room swap, you agree to:

Be really careful with your details as you don't know if TSR people are who they say they are;

Not post your address in this thread, current halls allocation or new;

Meet anybody in a public place, preferably on a uni campus - should you need to do anything face-to-face;

Be wary of anything that you do between the initiation of the room swap and possible completion with the university accommodation team.

Please also note that some of this thread may not make sense as it was a combined merge of 13 threads.

Thanks,

RF :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello I am nursing student about to start in September. I just received my accommodation it being my LAST CHOICE. I specifically stated that I couldn't share a bathroom and yet been giving Halifax. I am not happy at all. I have had bad experiences in shared bathrooms; was I meant to state the reason I didn't want one because I just said I can't share bathrooms. Having deferred my entry of York last year because of personal tragedy and it being my dream university I am seriously doubting if I want to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
Original post by MissENA
Hello I am nursing student about to start in September. I just received my accommodation it being my LAST CHOICE. I specifically stated that I couldn't share a bathroom and yet been giving Halifax. I am not happy at all. I have had bad experiences in shared bathrooms; was I meant to state the reason I didn't want one because I just said I can't share bathrooms. Having deferred my entry of York last year because of personal tragedy and it being my dream university I am seriously doubting if I want to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with your room. Just under half of our rooms are ensuite, so we're not able to offer them to everyone.

Please don't reject your offer before you speak to our accommodation team. I recommend that you call them as soon as you can on 01904 322165 so they can talk you through your options.

Thanks,
Alice
Original post by MissENA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! I have a friend who's starting York University in September and is not happy with her allocated halls of residence either. How many people would be sharing the bathroom? She's been allocated to James halls, it's en-suit and catered and was wondering if it would be possible to swap halls? Thanks.
Original post by ShannonJade6
Hello! I have a friend who's starting York University in September and is not happy with her allocated halls of residence either. How many people would be sharing the bathroom? She's been allocated to James halls, it's en-suit and catered and was wondering if it would be possible to swap halls? Thanks.

Hi there,

The number of people sharing bathrooms varies from block to block. We can't discuss other people's applications, so your friend would be best contacting the Accommodation team on 01904 322165 to discuss her options.

Hope that's a help.

Alice
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

The number of people sharing bathrooms varies from block to block. We can't discuss other people's applications, so your friend would be best contacting the Accommodation team on 01904 322165 to discuss her options.

Hope that's a help.

Alice

I've been allocated Derwent block A but it doesn't seem like many people have been given offers for my block yet? I've not found one other person while there's been loads for the other blocks. Also, can you direct me to a photo/video of an economy, shared bathroom, catered room at Derwent?

Thanks for any help.
Reply 6

Hi has your friend called the York accommodation reps about her issue. I don't mind swapping if it is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissENA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, im really not happy with my accommodation either and i got my 6th choice.
I was just wondering what type of room you have been allocated and what type of room you would like to move to?
Original post by MissENA
Hi has your friend called the York accommodation reps about her issue. I don't mind swapping if it is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, yeah she rang up and her room has been sorted now, hope your room also gets sorted out.
Hi, yeah she rang up and her room has been sorted now, hope your room also gets sorted out.

Hey sorry for just including myself into the conversation. Did she ring up and manage to change her room?
Reply 10
Ah that's good that she got it sorted out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by l0lchristina
Hey, im really not happy with my accommodation either and i got my 6th choice.
I was just wondering what type of room you have been allocated and what type of room you would like to move to?

Yeah I'm absolutely gutted it was my last choices what room were you allocated to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissENA
Yeah I'm absolutely gutted it was my last choices what room were you allocated to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One in Constantine college without an ensuite which is annoying see as all my lectures will be on Heslington west. My top two preferences were ensuite and to be on Hes west but that was completely ignored, making me feel like I don't even want to go anymore :frown:
Hi everyone! I've been given a standard shared bathroom self catered room at Halifax College. I have no problem with the room or the college, but I'd really rather be in Heslington East rather than Heslington West, as this is where my lectures will be. I was wondering if anyone wanted to swap?
I've already contacted the Accommodation Office and they've said that if I can find someone to swap with, it can be processed before term starts :smile: Thanks!
Original post by Dylank96
I've been allocated Derwent block A but it doesn't seem like many people have been given offers for my block yet? I've not found one other person while there's been loads for the other blocks. Also, can you direct me to a photo/video of an economy, shared bathroom, catered room at Derwent?

Thanks for any help.

Don't worry, there are lots of other people in your block - you're not going to be rattling around on your own!

Here are some photos of Block B which is the same room type: http://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/derwent/accommodation/newundergraduates/catered_corridor/

Hope that's a help!

Alice
Original post by University of York
Don't worry, there are lots of other people in your block - you're not going to be rattling around on your own!

Here are some photos of Block B which is the same room type: http://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/derwent/accommodation/newundergraduates/catered_corridor/

Hope that's a help!

Alice

Thank you, that was very helpful!

Also, I know that there are three showers to be shared between my floor in A block but are these all in different rooms or are they just in one room in separate cubicles? I just don't understand how they could be shared when the block is apparently mixed sex.

Thank you again :smile:
Original post by Dylank96
Thank you, that was very helpful!

Also, I know that there are three showers to be shared between my floor in A block but are these all in different rooms or are they just in one room in separate cubicles? I just don't understand how they could be shared when the block is apparently mixed sex.

Thank you again :smile:

They're in separate rooms rather than cubicles :smile:

Thanks,
Alice
Hey, i may as well jump in whilst i have the chance! I'm also looking for accommodation on Hes East since it's where the majority of my course takes place. I received a catered shared bathroom room in James college, if anybody is interested!
Hi Juppaware, is the premium ensuite you have in Alcuin self-catered and 40 let length? I have accommodation at Goodricke college (premium shared bathroom), but most of my courses are in Hes West so I would really love to switch with you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Pirtty much everybody who wants to swap has shared bathroom D:
The one thing I dont want to swap for D:!!!!!

But incase anybody wants to, Langwith, Premium shared bathroom.

Quick Reply

Latest