The Student Room Group

Mini-Pupillage Thread 2015/16

Although every year there is a thread for pupillage applications, I notice that apart from individual questions, there isn't really a general mini-pupillage thread, which I think could be quite useful, especially for chambers with set deadlines.

To start, Quadrant rejection/acceptance e-mails and Devereux acceptance emails and letters are out for the 30 June deadline, 20 Essex Str (30 June d/l) have delayed letting people know due to the debate about whether to move the PG deadline to January 2016 (informed applicants via e-mail of this), and Henderson acceptance letters are out.

Scroll to see replies

We did have a mini-pupillage thread one year: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2272810, but it didn't really take off.

I've just realised I've missed the deadline for 20 Essex St and they are a 'must do a mini to get pupillage' set. Sure it will be fine if I apply in the next cycle as can still do a mini before the GW opens, unless they move it forward. Oh well. I think there was one other that I had to apply for, Fountain, but that's not till the end of the month...
Reply 2
Original post by Forum User
We did have a mini-pupillage thread one year: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2272810, but it didn't really take off.

I've just realised I've missed the deadline for 20 Essex St and they are a 'must do a mini to get pupillage' set. Sure it will be fine if I apply in the next cycle as can still do a mini before the GW opens, unless they move it forward. Oh well. I think there was one other that I had to apply for, Fountain, but that's not till the end of the month...

Ah sorry, I did double check first to make sure it wasn't a duplicate thread by doing a search, but admittedly I didn't go that far back. Here's hoping this one takes off then :smile:

Re 20 Essex St, I'm sure it'll be fine, especially as there was something from this month on the BSB/BC (can't remember) website about possibly waiting until 2017 to move the deadline due to exactly your type of situation (ie. not enough notice).

Re Fountain, I'm applying there too (again), but feeling a bit uneasy about it because I got through to interviews last round, but f-ed it up because of a really awkward question they asked... What do you think are the chances of being successful 2nd time round and will they even consider it?

PS. For those looking at tax sets, Gray's Inn Tax want the cover letter handwritten, even though it doesn't say so on their website. But they let you know of the outcome via email (rolling deadline).

Edit: Found it:
http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/media-centre/news-and-press-releases/2015/august/pupillage-gateway-opening-date-change-on-hold-gateway-must-be-robust-not-rushed/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LadyLaw23

Re Fountain, I'm applying there too (again), but feeling a bit uneasy about it because I got through to interviews last round, but f-ed it up because of a really awkward question they asked... What do you think are the chances of being successful 2nd time round and will they even consider it?

I don't know, but I suspect they will consider it.

Apart from Fountain and 20 Essex St, I'm done applying for minis, I think. I have a reasonable spread of sets on my CV already, and though it would be nice to visit every set I was considering applying to, that isn't practical. I got to the point a few weeks ago, having done 5 minis in 5 weeks, where I just though 'enough'. I do have one more already organised in September, though, at Tanfield.
Reply 4
I don't know, but I suspect they will consider it.

Apart from Fountain and 20 Essex St, I'm done applying for minis, I think. I have a reasonable spread of sets on my CV already, and though it would be nice to visit every set I was considering applying to, that isn't practical. I got to the point a few weeks ago, having done 5 minis in 5 weeks, where I just though 'enough'. I do have one more already organised in September, though, at Tanfield.

Here's hoping!

Fair enough - I've got something like that lined up for Sept/Oct. How far in advance did you apply for Tanfield? I was thinking about it, but it says a year in advance on their site :s-smilie:
Here's hoping!

Fair enough - I've got something like that lined up for Sept/Oct. How far in advance did you apply for Tanfield? I was thinking about it, but it says a year in advance on their site :s-smilie:

Applied in March for the mini in September.
Reply 6
Applied in March for the mini in September.

Ok that's not too bad - might have to give it a go... Where else have you done minis? Mine so far are Essex Crt, Erskine and Stone, and to be done soon Gray's Inn Tax, Devereux and Henderson. Rejected from Quadrant, 3VB & 1 Essex Crt more recently, still applying for more
Ok that's not too bad - might have to give it a go... Where else have you done minis? Mine so far are Essex Crt, Erskine and Stone, and to be done soon Gray's Inn Tax, Devereux and Henderson. Rejected from Quadrant, 3VB & 1 Essex Crt more recently, still applying for more

Serle Court, One Essex Court, Essex Court, Pump Court Tax, New Square, Erskine, Henderson, Falcon, 5 Stone Buildings (and Tanfield to come).

Incidentally I just noticed that you did your LLB at Westminster. We may know each other - did you do an LLM at UCL this year?
Reply 8
Serle Court, One Essex Court, Essex Court, Pump Court Tax, New Square, Erskine, Henderson, Falcon, 5 Stone Buildings (and Tanfield to come).

Incidentally I just noticed that you did your LLB at Westminster. We may know each other - did you do an LLM at UCL this year?

Very nice! I've also applied to Pump Court Tax and Serle Court, and the rest are on my list for the upcoming deadlines, bar OEC who've already rejected me :frown:

No I didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we did know each other, seeing as we're at roughly the same stage and in London. Which Inn are you at, if any yet?

Btw, for Tanfield, did you mention when you'd like the mini in your covering letter or did you just apply generally and then sort the dates once you received an offer? I'm just thinking how to best apply there and if accepted, to do the mini before this time next year!
(edited 8 years ago)
Interesting.

I have Henderson next month and a handful of outstanding applications. Not sending any more off this month because I'm dissertating, but then I'm going to be all over it.

I applied in the last round for 10 old square, 7kbw, and south square (unfunded), but haven't heard anything -- anyone?
Very nice! I've also applied to Pump Court Tax and Serle Court, and the rest are on my list for the upcoming deadlines, bar OEC who've already rejected me :frown:

No I didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we did know each other, seeing as we're at roughly the same stage and in London. Which Inn are you at, if any yet?

Btw, for Tanfield, did you mention when you'd like the mini in your covering letter or did you just apply generally and then sort the dates once you received an offer? I'm just thinking how to best apply there and if accepted, to do the mini before this time next year!

No inn yet, applying for inn scholarships this coming year, will probably go for Lincolns.

I just applied generally and then the chap in charge of mini-pupillages emailed me back to arrange a date. I know the website mentions that you have to apply at least 12 months in advance but they didn't seem to be enforcing that.
Reply 11
No inn yet, applying for inn scholarships this coming year, will probably go for Lincolns.

I just applied generally and then the chap in charge of mini-pupillages emailed me back to arrange a date. I know the website mentions that you have to apply at least 12 months in advance but they didn't seem to be enforcing that.

Thanks, that's good to know (hence the benefit of this kind of thread :smile:)

I'm at Lincoln's, but I joined really early in 2nd year uni so I could use the library and go to dinners. For me personally it was a good move and I get to pick and choose the best dinners to go to as I have more time than just the 1 year during BPTC (ie. where the bar/bench/students all sit together, so great for networking). Actually that's how I landed one of my marshalling gigs.
Reply 12
Oh, almost forgot, and Lincoln's is the only one with a decent member's common room, ie. a restaurant/bar with a massive terrace for nice weather :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Interesting.

I have Henderson next month and a handful of outstanding applications. Not sending any more off this month because I'm dissertating, but then I'm going to be all over it.

I applied in the last round for 10 old square, 7kbw, and south square (unfunded), but haven't heard anything -- anyone?

Re Henderson, seems that I'll be going a couple of weeks or so after you (I'm in Oct), so it would be good to hear how yours went. I missed the d/l for 10 Old Sq and South Sq last round, but also applied to 7KBW and haven't heard anything back yet. Good luck with the dissertation! Where else have you been/applied to?

You should know the Fountain Court d/l is end of August, if you want to get that one in for Oct-Dec (it's one of the compulsory assessed ones).
(edited 8 years ago)
Re Henderson, seems that I'll be going a couple of weeks or so after you (I'm in Oct), so it would be good to hear how yours went. I missed the d/l for 10 Old Sq and South Sq last round, but also applied to 7KBW and haven't heard anything back yet. Good luck with the dissertation! Where else have you been/applied to?

You should know the Fountain Court d/l is end of August, if you want to get that one in for Oct-Dec (it's one of the compulsory assessed ones).

Oh maybe I'd better make it then. Will just have to find time sigh.

I've not done that many. I've done 4 Stone, XXIV Old Buildings, Selborne, and Maitland. I've been too busy this year :colondollar:
Reply 15
Oh maybe I'd better make it then. Will just have to find time sigh.

I've not done that many. I've done 4 Stone, XXIV Old Buildings, Selborne, and Maitland. I've been too busy this year :colondollar:

But the ones you've done are very good! You should give Essex Court a try at some point - their minis are good and they don't seem to be too harsh on applicants, seeing as that was my first ever one!

Re Fountain, it's a short-ish app form with only 1 long form question (why us) and the rest is just the usual work exp and academics.

Has anyone done the Brick Court application yet? If so, what kind of example did you use for the last question (a time when you tried to change someone's mind)?
(edited 8 years ago)
But the ones you've done are very good! You should give Essex Court a try at some point - their minis are good and they don't seem to be too harsh on applicants, seeing as that was my first ever one!

Re Fountain, it's a short-ish app form with only 1 long form question (why us) and the rest is just the usual work exp and academics.

Has anyone done the Brick Court application yet? If so, what kind of example did you use for the last question (a time when you tried to change someone's mind)?

Thanks -- I seem to have more luck with commercial chancery sets than straight commercial ones for some reason. I've been rejected a couple of times by Quadrant and OEC. Will try the latter again in September I guess.

Hm yeah essex court re-opens applications in November, so that should work. Also reimbursed costs is pretty nice -- I live at the opposite end of the country so it gets a bit pricey for me to do them outside of term time (which now is forever, since I've finished my master's :redface: )
Reply 17
Thanks -- I seem to have more luck with commercial chancery sets than straight commercial ones for some reason. I've been rejected a couple of times by Quadrant and OEC. Will try the latter again in September I guess.

Hm yeah essex court re-opens applications in November, so that should work. Also reimbursed costs is pretty nice -- I live at the opposite end of the country so it gets a bit pricey for me to do them outside of term time (which now is forever, since I've finished my master's :redface: )

I know what you mean - same here for those two, which is even weirder considering I was accepted by Stone & Essex Crt.... oh well. Do you know of anyone who's actually gotten a mini at Quadrant? From what I've heard/read, they seem to practically reject everyone! Also, when you reapply to ones with CV/covering letter reqs, how much do you usually change the cover letter (apart from obviously adding new exp, etc)?
(edited 8 years ago)
I know what you mean - same here for those two, which is even weirder considering I was accepted by Stone & Essex Crt.... oh well. Do you know of anyone who's actually gotten a mini at Quadrant? From what I've heard/read, they seem to practically reject everyone! Also, when you reapply to ones with CV/covering letter reqs, how much do you usually change the cover letter (apart from obviously adding new exp, etc)?

No, come to think of it I don't know anyone who's been to quadrant, that I know of anyway.

Honestly I've never directly talked about experience on a cover letter. I only mention mooting in relation to 'why the bar' and minis in relation to 'why this area of law' and/or 'why this set'. They're usually my three paras (sometimes I combine the latter two, leaving me with just two) and the first stays substantially the same, although I redraft it from scratch occasionally :dontknow: I like to keep my cover letters brief and it seems to work okay, for minis at least.

What do you change?
Reply 19
No, come to think of it I don't know anyone who's been to quadrant, that I know of anyway.

Honestly I've never directly talked about experience on a cover letter. I only mention mooting in relation to 'why the bar' and minis in relation to 'why this area of law' and/or 'why this set'. They're usually my three paras (sometimes I combine the latter two, leaving me with just two) and the first stays substantially the same, although I redraft it from scratch occasionally :dontknow: I like to keep my cover letters brief and it seems to work okay, for minis at least.

What do you change?

Interesting...

Re cover letters, mine also follow a similar-ish format, with a section on what areas of law and why, and why the bar (where I include minis & other exp etc. for evidence), why I would be well suited to the Bar (mooting, skills, etc.) and then why that set (tying in to the areas of law). Mine are probably a little long, but still within 1 page of A4, so should be ok... Thinking about it, I tend to tweak over time and add in new relevant exp, but I haven't redrafted from scratch in ages :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending