The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ancient Beast
If you read the title 'The Top 20 UK Unis for getting an IB Job - LEAGUE TABLE HERE'

OK, fair point. It was late and I wasn't thinking straight.
Reply 181
well im going to get into IB without having gone to uni !
marcus123
well im going to get into IB without having gone to uni !

:confused: "Going to get into IB?" Are you just hoping for the best? Or have you secured some sort of placement/job? I hope you realise you can't just walk into an IB and get a job. The Pursuit of Happyness is a good movie, but a little too unrealistic in some aspects. :rolleyes:
Reply 183
diMo
:confused: "Going to get into IB?" Are you just hoping for the best? Or have you secured some sort of placement/job?

hoping for the very best ! and hoping to get some kinda back door in there or anything but i will find a way !
marcus123
hoping for the very best ! and hoping to get some kinda back door in there or anything but i will find a way !

It's not actually that easy. What are your GCSE's / A-levels, if any at all... :s-smilie:
Heres the thread I made a few days ago: http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=351049

Should give you an insight into where you stand :indiff:
Reply 186
GCSE's CRAP in capitals they wont be mentioned

A levels
A maths B physics A Further maths
maths and further maths self taught and physics semi self taught
marcus123
GCSE's CRAP in capitals they wont be mentioned

A levels
A maths B physics A Further maths
maths and further maths self taught and physics semi self taught

Err, okay. Go on, whatcha get for GCSE's? :p:
Reply 188
failed first time round 6 D's and 1 C ouch 2nd time round 4C's
a grand total of 5C's and loadsa E's and F's hence they wont be getting mentioned :smile:. im 25 too which doesnt help and by the time i go for an IB position i will be 27 !
Reply 189
lol ok just read that post and i dont care im still getting in without a degree ! it may be an uphill sturggle but it can be done
marcus123
lol ok just read that post and i dont care im still getting in without a degree ! it may be an uphill sturggle but it can be done

Hmm, dunno what to say. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what have you been doing for the past 8 years?
Reply 191
diMo
Hmm, dunno what to say. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what have you been doing for the past 8 years?

gangwars, bumming around, professional gambler, being a DJ, running a record label and amateur boxer (got a battered nose so had to quit).

now i have settled down and dont wanna end up getting shot like everyone else, im having to get all the qualifications i was supposed to have got years ago.

prob is being 25 its too late and costly for me to take 3 years out !

anyway like i say i prob wont get FO but i can def make middle or back and i will see you there

p.s make sure you take the UCL offer if you can get it, it doesnt matter about the degree
Hope you got a backup plan that doesn't involve IB, you'll need it
Reply 193
diMo
Hope you got a backup plan that doesn't involve IB, you'll need it
like i say i will see you there buddy
Reply 194
marcus123 realistically, your not going to be able to get into IB.

Even middle and back office, you’re going to face massive competition not only now but more so in the future. There will be grads like me competing for the ever-so decreasing amount of front office jobs, and then competing for the middle and back. 1000's of grads apply each year apply for these places. Grades of 2.1 or 1st in their degree with outstanding A levels and GCSEs and a list full of extra curricular activities and many with their own entrepreneurial business either online or off.

I'm afraid the school drop out/chav/thug/gangster now settling down/revelation/facing reality and into IB is a conception far from reality, especially at your age.
For back office, I think you have a better chance than most people on this forum will give you credit for. A lot of back offices are now hiring degree-less people, your GCSEs are not so good but your A-levels will suffice and you seem to have a few other things (apart from gang vilolence) that might stand out on a CV. I'm guessing you haven't been implicated in any crime. I'm unsure as to the dynamics but of this market but you should have an OK chance.
You got a criminal record of any sort?
Reply 197
my GCSE's wont be mentioned there are terrible so are most of the people who live within 1 mile radius of me.

I totally agree with the compeition but i will be going for back or middle prob at lower tier bank and then moving to a bigger bank.

One of my old schools friends has recently been promoted and is now studying ATT at top tier bank and he never went to uni and he went in as an administrator !!

i disagree barton, loadsa grads come out of uni and arent ready for work are to immature etc where as i have experience on my side.

I actually have proof of record label, boxing etc which i usually bring along to interviews.

oh forgot to add running my own online record store

Most of those people who claim to have there or started there own business simply setup a myspace page or something.

so like i say im always on the look out for back office middle office and then i will work my way to the front, but if i do get in any bank at any position given my position 5 years ago i will be more than happy !!

p.s no criminal record i think it gets scrapped when your 18 and then cautions are scraped if you dont do anything for 3 years
marcus123
p.s no criminal record i think it gets scrapped when your 18 and then cautions are scraped if you dont do anything for 3 years

So you did have something on your name?

Keep us posted I guess, it'd be a first if you did get into something big given your circumstances.
I'm quite pleasantly surprised with your positive attitude to this, makes a refreshing change from the brownnosing that goes on from A-level students on here looking for CT or someone to rate their chances of getting into banking. All the best mate.

Latest

Trending

Trending