The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
fredstar
How much value do you guys reckon getting a Masters in Economics from say UCL/LSE will add following graduating with econ from Notts with a 2:1/1?
I quite like the idea of having a masters, but would like it to also add something in line with the effort, and cost, to obtain one.
Cheers

Well, it'll pretty much have to be a top first from Notts, if you want it from LSE...
Reply 381
Alexey
Well, it'll pretty much have to be a top first from Notts, if you want it from LSE...

You talk like Notts is a below par university, it has one of the best Schools of Economics in this country.
I asked not how viable the option was but how much it would add. Also in term of getting into IB and how much they would rate it.
fredstar
You talk like Notts is a below par university, it has one of the best Schools of Economics in this country.
I asked not how viable the option was but how much it would add. Also in term of getting into IB and how much they would rate it.

dude you are comparing notts with LSE. alexey is completely right. you need a high first to get into masters programme at LSE, or you need a lot of work experience I think.
Reply 383
Lol, I am not degrading your uni:rolleyes: - they have kicked out a large number of applicants from Oxbridge Econ/PPE with 2:1s - and this current year there is noone on the Econ masters who does not have a 1st.

Oh, and in terms of adding - it will add you the extra year of knowledge, but no big deal - you will still have to start from the same place as anyone with a BSc/BA.
Reply 384
Thanks Alexey, just an option I was considering. I have started to really enjoy econ this year so I really wouldn't mind a further year of study with the added bonus of being a more attractive applicant to IB's/whereever I choose to work
Reply 385
fredstar
Thanks Alexey, just an option I was considering. I have started to really enjoy econ this year so I really wouldn't mind a further year of study with the added bonus of being a more attractive applicant to IB's/whereever I choose to work

If you are in to academics, you should try for sure. In terms of IB - not much more attractive though, but still, if you can gain a lot from it personally, that will improve your chances. Good luck on that.
boomboomboom
and the point is? you saddo. you might as well just go and google me and find out my autobiography.

lol, I was just looking through the forum and found this thread at the top - assumed, naturally, that you would be behind it.

Why do you keep second-guessing yourself? I thought you made up your mind on the issue and were going with Cam.
Reply 387
MonteCristo

Don't be so short sighted as to believe the hype - LSE or not, it will be hard to get in, end of. You'd think the way some people talk on here, an LSE degree guarantees you the world - it doesn't. Neither does a degree from any other university. Plus, don't let your naviety distort your view, there are other measures of how good a university is at getting people into banking than just how many absolute numbers get in, if you fail to recognise that, I dare say you'll have trouble passing your numerical reasoning tests (though going on how some people on this forum have gained offers despite ridiculous use of logic, it shouldn't too hard on second thought...:rolleyes: ).
And that is different from Cambridge or Oxford or Imperial or Loughborough because...?

Chill out Matey :cool:, i take back all the stuff i have SAID but i though i read in on eof his post that it was sorry if that was wrong and i mislead it to people. i guess what people say on here does influence what people's perception of things are. people probably dont take what i say seriously anyways :redface:
Reply 388
Alexey
Lol, I am not degrading your uni:rolleyes: - they have kicked out a large number of applicants from Oxbridge Econ/PPE with 2:1s - and this current year there is noone on the Econ masters who does not have a 1st.

Oh, and in terms of adding - it will add you the extra year of knowledge, but no big deal - you will still have to start from the same place as anyone with a BSc/BA.

i was reading some IB related thread from a few years ago, and yeah i have to say this forum has changed and not in a good way, it was once friendly and people seemed to enjoy helping eachother out. now its like wasy "my unis is better than yours blah blah blah"
Suc-Cesc!!!
lol, I was just looking through the forum and found this thread at the top - assumed, naturally, that you would be behind it.

Why do you keep second-guessing yourself? I thought you made up your mind on the issue and were going with Cam.

no i havent. it is tough decision to make. i dont think most of the people who got offers from both of these unis made up their decision.
Reply 390
why dont oyu just go to both for a visit, and talk to the people there and see which you like better :s-smilie::s-smilie: nothing better than first hand exp, (sorry if you have already done that lol)
Death Eater
i was reading some IB related thread from a few years ago, and yeah i have to say this forum has changed and not in a good way, it was once friendly and people seemed to enjoy helping eachother out. now its like wasy "my unis is better than yours blah blah blah"

Absolutely correct. I know tedious and repetitive questions are being put out, but some of the regular posters on the IB section, just come across as arrogant ******s. It's almost like they're putting people off from IB just so some competition will be reduced.
Synergetic
Absolutely correct. I know tedious and repetitive questions are being put out, but some of the regular posters on the IB section, just come across as arrogant ******s. It's almost like they're putting people off from IB just so some competition will be reduced.

Current stats say that 20% of UK grads want to be bankers. That's around 460,000 students. I'm not sure how much effect anyone trying to put of people becoming bankers on 1 measly student forum could have on the competition as a whole...
Reply 393
and roughly how many jobs are there at front office in the BB?
At a guess, I'd say somewhere around the 2000 mark (incl FI, Equities, ECM/DCM and M&A)
Reply 395
MonteCristo
Current stats say that 20% of UK grads want to be bankers. That's around 460,000 students. I'm not sure how much effect anyone trying to put of people becoming bankers on 1 measly student forum could have on the competition as a whole...

:rofl: If people can be put off by a forum anyway - that is kind of sad.
Reply 396
460,000/2000 = a lof of competition! lol
Reply 397
01 LSE
02 Oxford, Cambridge
[small gap]
04 Imperial
[big gap]
05 Warwick
06 UCL
[huge, huge gap]

I somehow wanted to agree with the above ranking (or whatever it is), but then noticed something. Namely, Imperial is ranked slightly below oxbridge but then warwick after as supposed 'big gap'. I was curious, how could Imperial be ranked (at the top) as Imperial has no single business (economics and similar) degree? If you mean Tanaka business school, it is an excellent one, but that's postgraduate and if i properly understand, this is supposed to be undergrad ranking for... Similarly UCL - they only offer economics course (which is ok, but that's not business). And frankly, I don't really believe there's such a huge gap between lse and oxbrigde on the one hand and warwick on the other. WBS is becoming incredibly famous, whereas teaching excellency is anyway superb. Not to mention, that if remember correctly - warwick's econ. course was rated better than Lse's in certain year... So, I mean..if being placed in london you count as such a huge advantage...than this rank is just 'a bit' over exaggerated.

So please, do explain:smile: I'm really curious...
Reply 398
Its a ranking of uni's for getting into IB, not for their finance/courses.
Maths, Physics, Engineerings, all very quantitative and good for this
Reply 399
I'm guessing because the quantitative nature of imperial students is recognised making them valuable for a company.

I personally don't feel that economics or finance has to be learnt in a degree. I think that one can be perfectly capable for a financial job if they have the appropriate skills such as numeracy, quick learning, quick analytical thinking, leadership, decision making, communication skills etc etc; things that can certainly be transfered from a numerate, analytical degree eg science from IC.

At least I'm hoping anyway! :p:

Ourkid

Latest

Trending

Trending