The Student Room Group

Bizarre AQA AS Spanish results

Dear Forumers;
As background, I spend a month a year in Argentina, and my Spanish is very strong.
However for my AS, I only got a B - our teacher send an email (below) saying our whole school's AS Spanish grades were very low.
Did anyone else experience this?
"Looking at all the marks for unit 1 they are much lower than expected, and that includes all the UVI that decided to retake, which is a first, as they have always done better the second time round. I will therefore be asking for a remark for all of you and asking to get some scripts back too. With regards to the oral exam the examiner gave some dreadful marks to the UVI and was a little less horrible to you, so it will be more of an individual decision for you if you want that remarked too. As the school is dealing with priority remarks now we can wait until September to decide exactly what to do.
I do hope that despite the disappointment you're not feeling too down about your grades - there is definitely something odd going on with the marking this year but, having a look at how you did in comparison with the A2 retakes I'd say you've coped very well with a difficult paper and a harsh marking scheme."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by davidgibbons111
Dear Forumers;
As background, I spend a month a year in Argentina, and my Spanish is very strong. However for my AS, I only got a B - our teacher send an email (below) saying our whole school's AS Spanish grades were very low. Did anyone else experience this?
"Looking at all the marks for unit 1 they are much lower than expected, and that includes all the UVI that decided to retake, which is a first, as they have always done better the second time round. I will therefore be asking for a remark for all of you and asking to get some scripts back too. With regards to the oral exam the examiner gave some dreadful marks to the UVI and was a little less horrible to you, so it will be more of an individual decision for you if you want that remarked too. As the school is dealing with priority remarks now we can wait until September to decide exactly what to do.
I do hope that despite the disappointment you're not feeling too down about your grades - there is definitely something odd going on with the marking this year but, having a look at how you did in comparison with the A2 retakes I'd say you've coped very well with a difficult paper and a harsh marking scheme."

Use paragraphs goddamit

And from what i've gathered on TSR forums, many people had problems with AS and A2 Spanish results
Original post by Eux
Use paragraphs goddamit

And from what i've gathered on TSR forums, many people had problems with AS and A2 Spanish results

Many apologies; I wrote in a hurry!
That is (without schadenfreude) reassuring - at least it wasn't just us.
David
Original post by davidgibbons111
Many apologies; I wrote in a hurry!
That is (without schadenfreude) reassuring - at least it wasn't just us.
David

I have heard many stories in my school of years where the marking of controlled assessments was significantly lower than what was expected by teachers and the whole bunch was sent back for a remark, with peoples marks going up by whole grades in some cases.
Hi,
I'm so glad to find someone in the same position as me
At A2 I have been consistently getting A*s and A's in the mocks and me and my Spanish teacher (who also happens to be my mum) were kind of shocked an disgruntled to be honest when I got a B overall. Considering I'm doing it at uni; this is quite sad for me, and the fact I got a higher grade in French (an A) is even more scandalous.
I got 61/70 in the reading and listening which seems right and got marked 21/40 for my essay which is the lowest mark I have ever gotten - totally do not agree with it.
My English has also been undermarked it seems, I was expecting an A* but because they gave me some ridiculous marks I have to settle with an A unless this remark comes through.
AQA need to get their act together.
As regards your oral, ours are almost always undermarked, at AS and A2 - go for a remark because they almost always go up if you disagree because unless you had a visiting examiner your teacher will have known how you performed and they have a real sense of whether a remark is needed. (Probably, considering most examiners expect us to be fluent)
Good luck at A2, I think the most disappointing thing for me is that I loved Spanish at AS and A2, it was my fav subject alongside French and I feel like its ruined by these wayward marks.
Hope you and everyone else who was undermarked get the grade you deserve!

Quick Reply

Latest