The Student Room Group

asking for a review of result

Hey!

If I were to request a review of results for a coursework-based subject like AS art, what would the process be like?

I was a few marks off from getting a higher grade, and was considering requesting for a review of result. However, I don't really know what the process is like. Would only my work be reviewed, or would my classmates' work also be reviewed? Would my teacher also be aware that I specifically asked for a review of results or would that information not be shared? I don't know, I'm just considering how that might change the way my teacher views me, or something like that...
Original post by Salame
Hey!

If I were to request a review of results for a coursework-based subject like AS art, what would the process be like?

I was a few marks off from getting a higher grade, and was considering requesting for a review of result. However, I don't really know what the process is like. Would only my work be reviewed, or would my classmates' work also be reviewed? Would my teacher also be aware that I specifically asked for a review of results or would that information not be shared? I don't know, I'm just considering how that might change the way my teacher views me, or something like that...

Which exam board are you with? I ask as the process might be slightly different for each (although I suspect not). Here's how AQA do it:

1. Internal standardisation takes place to ensure that all teachers within your school are marking to the same standards. This can result in the mark awarded by your teacher (or whoever assessed your work) being moved up or down.
2. These marks are submitted to the exam board, which selects a sample of those to be used in the moderation process.
3. The exam board visits the school and performs moderation of this sample - i.e. they check that the school is marking to the same standard as other schools. This can results in all marks awarded by the school being moved up or down.

Importantly, as you can see on page 7 of "Notes and guidance: Practical Guidance for non-exam assessment", here, "JCQ regulations require that students must now be informed of their centre assessed marks so that they may request a review of the centre’s marking before marks are submitted to the awarding body." This would allow you to challenge the mark awarded by your school. Did they provide you mark and allow you to query it?

Assuming that they did, and you were happy with that mark, then you're looking for a Review of Moderation. This is not a repeat of the moderation process (step 3 above), but is a review of the original moderation to ensure that the assessment criteria have been fairly, reliably and consistently applied. This is something which the school would request on behalf of all candidates at your school (as with the moderation itself, is is not applied to individual pieces of work, but to all candidates). To avoid bizarre situations where half the candidates want the review to take place and the other half don't, candidate consent is not required, and grades cannot be reduced as a result of this process. However, the mark can be. So if you're not in England and this AS will be followed-up by an A2, the overall A level mark (and hence grade) could be impacted.

So, ignore grades - the teachers, the internal standardisation process, and the moderation process all deal with marks.
1. Did your school provide your mark, as mandated by the JCQ (Joint Council for Qualifications)?
2. Did you school provide you with an opportunity to appeal that mark, and did you take advantage of that opportunity?
3. Are you now looking for the moderation process (performed by the exam board) to be reviewed? If so, your teacher will not be bothered at all, as you're not "judging" them in anyway by requesting a review of moderation - your judging the exam board. Any such request would need to go through your school - likely your exams officer. Note that the deadline for the exam board to receive a review of moderation is 28 September (this Thurdsay).

Quick Reply

Latest