The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Why have I still not received an accomdation offer?

Hi, I applied for accomodation at manchester Uni months ago and recently people have been getting their offers but I still haven't heard back. People have been getting accomodation offers from my first preference yet I haven't heard anything. Is this normal?
The accommodation office has only had Thursday and Friday to send them out so far, not everyone will have theirs yet. They also don't send them out in the order that people applied so it doesn't really mean much if you've yet to get yours. If you still haven't heard anything by the end of next week, try contacting them.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by A-smith96
Hi, I applied for accomodation at manchester Uni months ago and recently people have been getting their offers but I still haven't heard back. People have been getting accomodation offers from my first preference yet I haven't heard anything. Is this normal?

I haven't heard anything from them yet either!! I'm going to contact them if I don't hear by the end of the week! At least we're not alone haha
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
The accommodation office has only had Thursday and Friday to send them out so far, not everyone will have theirs yet. They also don't send them out in the order that people applied so it doesn't really mean much if you've yet to get yours. If you still haven't heard anything by the end of next week, try contacting them.

I thought they sent out offers on a first come, first serve basis?
Original post by Coffeetime
I thought they sent out offers on a first come, first serve basis?

They allocate rooms on a first-come, first-served basis, I don't think the actual emails get sent out in any particular order though.
They allocate rooms on a first-come, first-served basis, I don't think the actual emails get sent out in any particular order though.

Ah okay. I'm screwed then. Haha.
Ah okay. I'm screwed then. Haha.

Why's that?
Why's that?

I planned on doing private accomodation, but circumstances prevented that. So I only applied two weeks ago.
I planned on doing private accomodation, but circumstances prevented that. So I only applied two weeks ago.

Oh, right. At least you're guaranteed a room, that's more than most university students get.

None of the halls are bad so even if you don't get what you want, you might be pleasantly surprised. Once they've been there a few weeks and have made friends with flatmates etc., most people tend to wonder why they had originally been so worried. :smile:
Oh, right. At least you're guaranteed a room, that's more than most university students get.

None of the halls are bad so even if you don't get what you want, you might be pleasantly surprised. Once they've been there a few weeks and have made friends with flatmates etc., most people tend to wonder why they had originally been so worried. :smile:

At this point, as long as I get an ensuite, I'll be okay. I do not share. Haha. I'm also surprised by the guest policies. I put Opal Gardens as my first pick because I like the smaller amount of flatmates, but it says no overnight guests.
At this point, as long as I get an ensuite, I'll be okay. I do not share. Haha. I'm also surprised by the guest policies. I put Opal Gardens as my first pick because I like the smaller amount of flatmates, but it says no overnight guests.

The ensuite halls tend to be the most popular, which won't help your chances. The shared bathrooms aren't bad at all, I'm surprised how against them a lot of people seem to be. It's not really any different to sharing a bathroom at home, which I assume the majority of people have had to do before coming to Manchester.

I don't have first hand experience but I suspect that the no overnight guests rule is one of those things that rarely gets enforced.
The ensuite halls tend to be the most popular, which won't help your chances. The shared bathrooms aren't bad at all, I'm surprised how against them a lot of people seem to be. It's not really any different to sharing a bathroom at home, which I assume the majority of people have had to do before coming to Manchester.

I don't have first hand experience but I suspect that the no overnight guests rule is one of those things that rarely gets enforced.

I guess we'll see. I don't have any siblings and I'm a bit older, so sharing isn't something I'm used to or keen on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending