The Student Room Group

tiny bumps around opening of cervix- normal?

hi, I was having a feel of my vagina (as you do) because Im considering getting an IUD and I wanted to see if I could touch my cervix opening. The walls of my vagina are very smooth with little texture, but when I reached the cervix could feel very small hard lumps around the opening, kind of the size of goose bumps? they are painless and feel like part of the skin. is this normal? do any of you girls have them?I have read about nabothian cysts but I obviously cannot see what my cervix looks like so it is hard to tell. I am worried it could be something dangerous. Im too young to have a smear test (19), even though I don't think its a sign of cervical cancer.
Reply 1
Could be fordyce spots?
Reply 2
Original post by Gogregg
Could be fordyce spots?

maybe. I dont think they happen internally though? and the cervix is right beneath the womb. googled it and no pics come up
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
maybe. I dont think they happen internally though? and the cervix is right beneath the womb. googled it and no pics come up

Damn my bad knowledge of anatomy. And I think you may be right. Either way, you might want to get it checked out? Or bring it up when (and if) you get the IUD
Reply 4
Original post by Gogregg
Damn my bad knowledge of anatomy. And I think you may be right. Either way, you might want to get it checked out? Or bring it up when (and if) you get the IUD

lol no worries! yeah I will, this thread was more to see if other people have them/if they are normal just to help my anxiety about what it could be
Reply 5
any girls?
Reply 6
I have not heard the term bumpy at medical school but the skin on your cervix right at the entrance (os) does change with puberty and hormones and that skin layer is different to the rest of the cervix. It could feel different because of that.

nabothian cysts: to my knowledge are far bigger and at a complete different location
STD infection: although many are asymptomatic I havent heard of any that are bumpy. The serious STD dont affect the cervix. If they did you would have symptoms all over.
Non-STD infection: this could be possible and nothing to worry about. (btw do u have any discharge or other symptoms?)
cervical cancer: you are too young but at the same time its possible.

when you book an appointment with the receptionist at your GP say you want a cervical examination. Otherwise you can also go to the sexual health walk in centres where they can quickly have a look (im not suggesting a sexual health cause but these guys have a pretty high standard down there)
Reply 7
Original post by Knugs
I have not heard the term bumpy at medical school but the skin on your cervix right at the entrance (os) does change with puberty and hormones and that skin layer is different to the rest of the cervix. It could feel different because of that.

nabothian cysts: to my knowledge are far bigger and at a complete different location
STD infection: although many are asymptomatic I havent heard of any that are bumpy. The serious STD dont affect the cervix. If they did you would have symptoms all over.
Non-STD infection: this could be possible and nothing to worry about. (btw do u have any discharge or other symptoms?)

when you book an appointment with the receptionist at your GP say you want a cervical examination. Otherwise you can also go to the sexual health walk in centres where they can quickly have a look (im not suggesting a sexual health cause but these guys have a pretty high standard down there)

Thanks for the reply. don't have any symptoms, normal amounts of discharge. Im pretty sure nabothian cysts are located around the cervical entrance an also resemble small bumps? very unlikely its an std as I've been with the same person for 2 years now. if it was cervical cancer wouldn't I be having other symptoms too?

I don't have any symptoms, normal amounts of discharge
Just see the doc, its a genuine symptom/concern.
Reply 9
Original post by earthworm
Just see the doc, its a genuine symptom/concern.

Im not sure if it is though! nothing online says that they are dangerous or sinister
Original post by Knugs

Also, already booked GP for a different matter was going to bring it up at the end. Would it be strange to ask my sexual health clinic where i get my pills from if they would do a cervical examination? they have cervical screening listed as one of their services but I don't know if a examination would be out of place for them
Bumps are real and your concern is real, the internet is not a great self diagnosis tool.

Im not sure if it is though! nothing online says that they are dangerous or sinister
Original post by earthworm
Bumps are real and your concern is real, the internet is not a great self diagnosis tool.

I'm going to my GP and perhaps the clinic too.. but not all bumps: cancer, and they feel more like little pimples not a lump in the skin. there are things such as polps, cysts, which are all harmless and go by themselves. this thread was just to see if anyone had experience with them so I know what I'm getting into
Reply 13
Also, already booked GP for a different matter was going to bring it up at the end. Would it be strange to ask my sexual health clinic where i get my pills from if they would do a cervical examination? they have cervical screening listed as one of their services but I don't know if a examination would be out of place for them

Thanks for reminding me where nabothian cysts lies and then I realised they are usually bigger and less of them on the cervix than you described.

Bringing up at the end is the worst you can do. GP doesnt have time and will disregard your problem. I have seen it too often at placements.

If you have been to a sexual health clinic before then its a good idea to go there again. If they offer cervical screening, they know and can do a cervical examination. A cervical examination is always done in cervical screening. Is it a walk in centre or do you have to have a referal to get there?
Nothing is strange in a sexual health clinic! Everyone there wants to help.
Original post by Knugs
Thanks for reminding me where nabothian cysts lies and then I realised they are usually bigger and less of them on the cervix than you described.

Bringing up at the end is the worst you can do. GP doesnt have time and will disregard your problem. I have seen it too often at placements.

If you have been to a sexual health clinic before then its a good idea to go there again. If they offer cervical screening, they know and can do a cervical examination. A cervical examination is always done in cervical screening. Is it a walk in centre or do you have to have a referal to get there?
Nothing is strange in a sexual health clinic! Everyone there wants to help.

Oh right :frown: Yes I have been a handful of times to this clinic. I don't need a referral its walk-in /appointments . So you think asking for an examination alone is normal?

Still slightly confused about nabothian cysts - i think i have about 2, maximum 3 (don't want to examine right now) and they aren't on the OS, the are surrounding it. and i think the biggest one is half the size of a pea. are you ruling them out as an option based on my description?

Cervical screenings are usually done by nurses for the sole purpose of obtaining brushings to send to the lab. They wouldn't be able to examine you and give you a diagnosis.

Your GP is really the best place to go. Nobody here can tell you what they are.
Original post by Etomidate
Cervical screenings are usually done by nurses for the sole purpose of obtaining brushings to send to the lab. They wouldn't be able to examine you and give you a diagnosis.

Your GP is really the best place to go. Nobody here can tell you what they are.

So you think a sexual/family planning clinic wouldn't be any help? The other user said the GP would just brush me off as they usually just give you 15 minute slots and are rushed. don't know what to do now !
On pregnancy forums other women seem to be pretty sure what they are e.g. http://forums.thebump.com/discussion/5630984/cervix-bumps , obviously still want to get them checked by a professional though.
A blog I follow actually answered this question a few days ago, I'll link you to the answer and if you have any more questions you can ask her (she's a midwife, knows pretty much everything about female sex organs so you're in good hands).

WARNING - the page contains explicit full colour photographs of cervixes, just in case any of you fell uncomfortable about that
http://themidwifeisin.com/post/126861326902/is-it-normal-to-have-a-couple-bumps-on-your#notes
Original post by HuggleyDuck
A blog I follow actually answered this question a few days ago, I'll link you to the answer and if you have any more questions you can ask her (she's a midwife, knows pretty much everything about female sex organs so you're in good hands).

WARNING - the page contains explicit full colour photographs of cervixes, just in case any of you fell uncomfortable about that
http://themidwifeisin.com/post/126861326902/is-it-normal-to-have-a-couple-bumps-on-your#notes

Hey thanks for the link! basically reading her whole blog now lol I actually went to the clinic today and she told me she couldn't see any cysts/obvious bumps, just a little bit of rougher skin, something to do with follicles/mucus glands, and that i had nothing to worry about
Thanks for your update! I have those same bumps and this made me feel a whole lot better about it haha. Sorry about the few rude people on here… what the heck people?! Be nice!!!!!

Latest