The Student Room Group

CFE Higher English 2015 - 2016

Scroll to see replies

Yeah just doing the same basically, mind maps etc for possible 10 mark questions that could come up.
Hope your exams go well @Jeff548
Original post by colour_free
What is the first bit about commonality for 2 marks? I seem to have completely missed that until now! Is it identifying generally how the question/extract relates to the rest of the text? I'm reading the marking instructions from last year's paper and still not really getting it.

Area of commonality is basically just explaining how that part of the book or quotation relates to the question being asked.
Anybody else doing 'The Godfather' for their critical essay? I can't find anything about symbolism in it online and I think it might come up. Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Also doing MacCaig which i'm quite scared about - got 4/10 on the last question in the prelim - It was humour though and nobody did well. What do you think is going to come up?
Original post by colour_free
What is the first bit about commonality for 2 marks? I seem to have completely missed that until now! Is it identifying generally how the question/extract relates to the rest of the text? I'm reading the marking instructions from last year's paper and still not really getting it.

The area of commonality refers to that theme etc that is common to your two texts. E.g. in MacCaig it could be the theme of loss.

That first question - the 2 mk question - is where you demonstrate where this area on commonality can be found in the two texts you will be answering on. E.g. where is the theme of loss demonstrated in the set text and how is it demonstrated in your chosen example to compare it with. It is a 2mk question so you are just painting in broad strokes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QueenEM
Yeah just doing the same basically, mind maps etc for possible 10 mark questions that could come up.
Hope your exams go well @Jeff548

What's your prediction for the 10 marker?
Original post by Jeff548
What's your prediction for the 10 marker?

I don't think it'll be nature?( i wish it was!!) , sacrifice or Duror because that's in the specimen, exemplar and 2015 paper. I think its probably going to be like Death/war , Good vs evil or social class?
What do you think?
Original post by Jeff548
No one else worried about the close reading? I just did a paper and it went horribly, now I am even more scared and want to go in a cave and hide and cry forever :frown: :frown: :frown:

English is my WORST subject :'(

OMG YES!! everyone always finds Close reading so easy and i find it so difficult too!
Original post by Jeff548
Anybody got any quotes on either Calum and Neil relationship OR Lady Runcie Campbell as a characater who struggles with her position of power???

(CONE GATHERERS)

Thanks

For Calum and Neils relationship I know:

"it was enough that they were together" - brotherhood
(in the tree at the start where they both need each other's help: Calum needs Neil to find the way home and Neil needs Calum to get down from the tree.

"Neil knew what Calum represented, pity so meek"
Neil acknowledges the fact that his brother is vulnerable to the outside world and therefore believes it is his duty to look after him.

"To look after his brother he had never got married but once came near it...revived his heart melancholy" and "His dignity and composure, proper to a sea captain, crumbled into abjectness of a peasent." -sacrifice to look after his brother

After the beach hut: "we were driven out like slaves... does she think we were monkeys?" shows he is infuriated at Calum's mistreatment.

For LRC's power:

"She would have given the cone gatherers the use of the beach hut if Duror hadn't dissauded her." - her inability to take responsbililty and follows Duro's advice.

At the beach hut scene she enters with the "loudest peal of thunder" implying her destruction. "Get out, for god's sake. Get out!"- The cone gatherers are afraid of her as she scolds them for using her beach hut.

"people below us on social class, I agree we ought never to be arrogant" yet she comments "Obviously they are our inferiors and it is our duty to find an attitude towards them"
-her struggle with her aristocratic status and religious beliefs. First she implies everyone should be treated equally but soon remarks that it is only a "duty", a aristocrat's responsibility to look down on them.
Original post by tiff4ny
I'm doing Men Should Weep for the Scottish text, can't say I'm too happy about it though. I'm doing Duffy for the essay. How's Men Should Weep been for you?

I'm pretty confident with Men Should Weep. Just about got my head around the language n such but i feel like i'm trying to memorize 345665636633 quotes bc there's so many areas that could pop up 4 the 10 marker. My teacher seems to think it will be one of the bigger themes or characters but there's so many main characters and themes nnrefnrngin. I'm praying that it's poverty but at the same time i think i prefer more specific questions ahh idk. How are you finding it?
Original post by what2heck
I'm pretty confident with Men Should Weep. Just about got my head around the language n such but i feel like i'm trying to memorize 345665636633 quotes bc there's so many areas that could pop up 4 the 10 marker. My teacher seems to think it will be one of the bigger themes or characters but there's so many main characters and themes nnrefnrngin. I'm praying that it's poverty but at the same time i think i prefer more specific questions ahh idk. How are you finding it?

This is so true, I don't even know how many quotes I know.
So I'm doing higher English at college and I'm totally stressing! Thursday is a pure dread for me.
I don't feel my Lecturar is that good at teaching which hasn't helped over the year.
I basically have 6 Iain Crichton smith short stories to learn and 6 Norman MacCaig poems! Have 6 of each seems ludicrous to me because at school we maybe focused on 2 of each which could be used in a lot of the questions.. I'm planning on doing short story for the first section and a poem for the essay but so far Im really struggling for quotes to stick and learning the tones and connections between them.
I tell myself I need to revise because I need at least C pass for university but it's like my brain/body just doesn't want to.. I can sit and 'revise' for an hour and feel like I've learned nothing.

Anyone offer some tips? Or useful quotes? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mystery.
I don't think it'll be nature?( i wish it was!!) , sacrifice or Duror because that's in the specimen, exemplar and 2015 paper. I think its probably going to be like Death/war , Good vs evil or social class?
What do you think?

I think it may be nature, but worded differently if you know what I mean. Either that or war or LRC or Roderick. Probs not social class because that was specimen paper but not sure?
For Calum and Neils relationship I know:

"it was enough that they were together" - brotherhood
(in the tree at the start where they both need each other's help: Calum needs Neil to find the way home and Neil needs Calum to get down from the tree.

"Neil knew what Calum represented, pity so meek"
Neil acknowledges the fact that his brother is vulnerable to the outside world and therefore believes it is his duty to look after him.

"To look after his brother he had never got married but once came near it...revived his heart melancholy" and "His dignity and composure, proper to a sea captain, crumbled into abjectness of a peasent." -sacrifice to look after his brother

After the beach hut: "we were driven out like slaves... does she think we were monkeys?" shows he is infuriated at Calum's mistreatment.

For LRC's power:

"She would have given the cone gatherers the use of the beach hut if Duror hadn't dissauded her." - her inability to take responsbililty and follows Duro's advice.

At the beach hut scene she enters with the "loudest peal of thunder" implying her destruction. "Get out, for god's sake. Get out!"- The cone gatherers are afraid of her as she scolds them for using her beach hut.

"people below us on social class, I agree we ought never to be arrogant" yet she comments "Obviously they are our inferiors and it is our duty to find an attitude towards them"
-her struggle with her aristocratic status and religious beliefs. First she implies everyone should be treated equally but soon remarks that it is only a "duty", a aristocrat's responsibility to look down on them.

Legend, thank you!!!! :smile:

OMG YES!! everyone always finds Close reading so easy and i find it so difficult too!

Like I don't understand why or how but last week my close reading was around 25-26/30 and now I am at 17/30. Like wtf!?!? More practice in this case = more failure. I honestly hope it's as straight forward as last years.

I cannot do imagery questions for the life of me because I can never spot a metaphor, ever. Simile is fine and personification upto an extent, but a question I just did on imagery got me 0/4 since they were all metaphors. This is why I am more scared because with more practice I am doing worst!!!!!
Struggling to show how these quotes represent nature, help please?

"Mottled yellow of the chestnuts"

and "bronze of beech"
Original post by Jeff548
Struggling to show how these quotes represent nature, help please?

"Mottled yellow of the chestnuts"

and "bronze of beech"

Wow, you either didn't sleep till 4 or woke up really early?

well they are literally both about nature and metaphorically:

"Mottled yellow of the chestnuts" suggests they are rich in bright yellow colour so it's probably Spring? Also, chestnuts are kinda brown in colour so "mottled yellow" must mean they haven't been opened and the writer is describing the shell.

"Bronze of the beech"
Again, "bronze" suggests the richness of the brown colour of the trunk.
Metaphor so you can say just as bronze is a valued metal so too is the old tree, they both are rich of colour and they can shine/stand out in their surroundings?
Yet the writer could have said "gold of the beech" instead so using "bronze" conveys even though it's beautiful, it isn't as valuable as other trees like conifers because you can actually sell them as Christmas trees (firs have connotations of wealth); for beech, the wood from its branches is the only product sold often for low prices like bronze compared to gold.

Also, for close reading I think you are being way too harsh. Mockery and sarcasm are more or less the same. I know it's not the exact same but I'm pretty sure you'd get the mark.
If not, then well, I'm screwed.
Original post by Jeff548
I think it may be nature, but worded differently if you know what I mean. Either that or war or LRC or Roderick. Probs not social class because that was specimen paper but not sure?

Legend, thank you!!!! :smile:

Yeah, I'm praying for nature.
For Roderick, what quotes do you know?
Oh, that's interesting, I interpreted the specimen paper as good vs evil /sacrifice.

And, no problem! :smile:
For national 5 cone gatherers, they had Duror for 2014 and Calum for 2015 so maybe it'll be Calum?
Ugh, there are too many possibilities!
Original post by Jeff548
Because I know someone who for word choice questions for example does:

"grotesque" implies ugly showing writer's attitude of disgust towards farming

Would that get the mark? If so, I write waaaaay too much!

Do you think our close reading passage will be as straight forward as last year's? And do you think our last question will be agree or diasgree? Lastly, would the sqa normally ask questions about tone or isn't this quite rare, what is the likelihood of it being asked???

I want 5A's but English is my main concern, and then Biology. Funny because those are two most english heavy subjects and two I dread and they're the two that are BLOODY FIRST!!!!!!!!

Last years paper was not straightforward imo.
Anyone else doing the 'A Time to Keep' stories by George Mackay Brown? Do you think symbolism might come up in the 10 marker?
Any one doing The Slab Boys and 1984??
I'm so scared for the critical essay! There are so many possibilities and the questions can be so specific... :frown: I'm going mine on drama. Also do you still get marks if you quote SLIGHTLY wrong or does that analysis and the quote become completely useless if it's misquoted? Like instead of "in" I say "to"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending