The Student Room Group

Expat/immigrant communities...

...what's the sense of having them?

My father said that it's a good (and natural) way to kickstart foreigner's survival and integration in a new country...

I often notice that what happens is the exact opposite:

Most immigrants who start their new life among people of their old background tend to interact exclusively with people of their own nationalities in the future as well.
They learn how to survive, but only as a group.
They interact with other nationalities (and the host countrymen) mainly for the sake of employment and "getting around". But everything else... makes their lives and mentality look similar to ghettos.

I think that it's nice to go around in a city and find concentrations of people like "China Town", "Little India", or exotic ethnic communities such as "Christian Community for Sri Lankans"... but somehow I think that we are used to them and we appreciate them only in the touristic sense of culture.
That's a nice facet of cultural exchange.

However, when I look at these communities from inside, I somehow think that they are formed because they can't (or don't want, or don't think they are able to?) integrate with the rest of the people host country!
Why else would they need to form a Christian Community for Sri Lankans when there are so many local christian communities to attend?!

This "ghettofication" happens not only in religious contexts... look at sports, music, hobbies, shop networks, everyday activity. I'm not even sure whether this behaviour is natural or something the older generations of immigrants try to organize in order to impose their identity...

And I think that, despite everyone being interested in other cultures, this urban ghettofication contributes to the common problems of racism and xenophobia that might have not arisen prior to the creation of such communities.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

TheEntertainer
...what's the sense of having them?

My father said that it's a good (and natural) way to kickstart foreigner's survival and integration in a new country...

I often notice that what happens is the exact opposite:

Most immigrants who start their new life among people of their old background tend to interact exclusively with people of their own nationalities in the future as well.
They learn how to survive, but only as a group.
They interact with other nationalities (and the host countrymen) mainly for the sake of employment and "getting around". But everything else... makes their lives and mentality look similar to ghettos.

I think that it's nice to go around in a city and find concentrations of people like "China Town", "Little India", or exotic ethnic communities such as "Christian Community for Sri Lankans"... but somehow I think that we are used to them and we appreciate them only in the touristic sense of culture.
That's a nice facet of cultural exchange.

However, when I look at these communities from inside, I somehow think that they are formed because they can't (or don't want, or don't think they are able to?) integrate with the rest of the people host country!
Why else would they need to form a Christian Community for Sri Lankans when there are so many local christian communities to attend?!

This "ghettofication" happens not only in religious contexts... look at sports, music, hobbies, shop networks, everyday activity. I'm not even sure whether this behaviour is natural or something the older generations of immigrants try to organize in order to impose their identity...

And I think that, despite everyone being interested in other cultures, this urban ghettofication contributes to the common problems of racism and xenophobia that might have not arisen prior to the creation of such communities.

What do you think?

Its a two-way process, integratin. UNti British people and the British media stop making others feel unwlecome, there will be no proper integration, along with all yo say.

And that word- "ghettoification"- did you make it up? Its an awful word! Ghettoisation is more correct, but still a dumb word.
And that word- "ghettoification"- did you make it up? Its an awful word! Ghettoisation is more correct, but still a dumb word.

:biggrin: okay!

Its a two-way process, integratin. UNti British people and the British media stop making others feel unwlecome, there will be no proper integration, along with all yo say.

This is what one would usually conclude after the conflicting sentiments have been established.

What I'm saying: if there hadn't been certain elements in first place (such as these ethnicity/nationality-based communities), individual immigrants would have found their personal new life more naturally - not as Sri Lankans, or Indians, or whatever, but as other humans in the society.

There would be no need for "integration" if there were no community-imposed differences in first place...

Does a child being introduced to his new classmates for the first time usually show off his behavior and his differences to the classmates, or try to laugh and make new friends?
Reply 3
I think it depends largely on what you define as "community". It is quite obvious that if a community becomes sufficiently large and concentrated, it becomes more or less self-sufficient, which nicely destroys all incentive to interact with people outside the community. Especially for newly arrived people being sucked into such a community means that they never manage to integrate, at first due to, perceived or realm inability to do so due to language/culture barriers and later on, in case the initial situation does not persist, due to unwillingness and lack of need to do so.

However, as an international student I have to say that most communities are far from being so ghettoesque. Our ex pat community manifests itself in going for a drink/trip together once a week/2 weeks :wink: and I think you'll find that most of them are the same, consisting of a couple of people that simply maintain loose social ties.

As to the sense of having them, it's nice to have some network of people to fall back on when you need advice/help/whatever and lack the social network the people that are somewhere at home enjoy. It's also a great source of practical advice about just about everything concerning starting a life in a new country. And it helps maintain some level of cultural integrity and awareness.
Reply 4
The same could be said for the middle classes for instance - they choose to live within the same areas. People will always want to live within communities they feel more attached to - and culture and social status play their part.
Yeah, Flandarin. You're right, there are also expat groups which just meet once in a while, but don't really bother about their background.

Unfortunately, I also think that the background awareness (or "cultural integrity", as you call it) is overplayed beyond actual necessity in those big communities such as and similar to those I mentioned above.
It reinforces itself in their own heads and automatically excludes choices of behavior and affiliation by individual evaluation.

People will always want to live within communities they feel more attached to - and culture and social status play their part.

You made a statement... what makes them feel more attached to one specific culture or social status?

I can understand affiliations by social status within one country, since there is usually not much choice for a person without money to hang around in rich nightclubs.

What makes people need cultural integrity so much, and for which practical reasons would self-determined individuals need it in first place?
Reply 6
Depends on the reason why they're expats in the first place.

If it's you're choice to come to the country and live there, I don't think having an immigrant community: you might have well have stayed home. I'm French and live in the UK, and it's my choice, and I'd rather hang out with Scots than with French people, because if I'd wanted to stick with French folks, I would have stayed in Paris...

But if you're forced out of your country, well, it's not your choice, and then you might miss your home country, your customs, your friends, your language, and by joining an immigrant community, you try and recreate what you're missing so much.

My two pennies anyway - and expat's point of view :wink:
Reply 7
TheEntertainer

What makes people need cultural integrity so much, and for which practical reasons would self-determined individuals need it in first place?

Are you actually suggesting that cultural identity is a meaningless concept and/or that preserving it is undesirable? :confused:
Reply 8
Talking of which...

Not directing this to anyone, but this thread reminded me of a discussion I had with my flatmate's family, once.

I don't particuarly have a French accent when I speak English - as a matter of fact, people tend to think I'm Scottish or Irish, or an English native speaker at any rate - 'French' is never their first guess.
My friends were asking me how I felt about this losing my French accent when I speak English - did it feel like I was losing my Frenchness, so to speak ? I replied no, I'm French deep inside of me, no matter how British I may end up sounding when I speak English. I want to speak English as perfectly as I possibly can, no being a native speaker in the first place.

I don't think preserving my cultural identity has to do with the way I integrate . No matter how long I live in Scotland, I'll always be French, even if I don't hang out with French people. To me, it's more an inner thing. I have my language, my education, my customs and habits which will never leave me because I grew up with them. I love my country, I didn't decide I wanted to leave it because I didn't like it, but because I like the UK.

This might be off topic :rolleyes: just thought I'd say it anyway.
Reply 9
TheEntertainer
Yeah, Flandarin. You're right, there are also expat groups which just meet once in a while, but don't really bother about their background.

Unfortunately, I also think that the background awareness (or "cultural integrity", as you call it) is overplayed beyond actual necessity in those big communities such as and similar to those I mentioned above.
It reinforces itself in their own heads and automatically excludes choices of behavior and affiliation by individual evaluation.

You made a statement... what makes them feel more attached to one specific culture or social status?

I can understand affiliations by social status within one country, since there is usually not much choice for a person without money to hang around in rich nightclubs.

What makes people need cultural integrity so much, and for which practical reasons would self-determined individuals need it in first place
?

Why do you presume immigrants have much choice? There are too many logical reasons to list as to why immigrants tend to settle into certain areas. Proximity to places of worship, family connections, convenience etc etc
Flandarin
Are you actually suggesting that cultural identity is a meaningless concept and/or that preserving it is undesirable?

I'm not suggesting anything.

I'm asking, since I can't find an answer to it by myself :smile:

Fusion
Why do you presume immigrants have much choice? There are too many logical reasons to list as to why immigrants tend to settle into certain areas.
Proximity to places of worship,
family connections,
convenience
(such as the irish settling in kilburn = on the holyhead to london line).

And how come are the places of worship all close together?
Why do they move in families rather than individually?
Convenience... ok. Relative though.
In any case: this is what usually happens when they first come to the host country...
but if this carries on, are they really coming to the host country, or to an "enclave" of their own country within the borders of another?
Reply 11
I'd say the biggest reason tends to be convenience and support in general. The fact is that the people from your home country tend to provide a lot of practical and useful advice concerning everyday things (things like setting up bank account, getting references for jobs, lack of awareness as to prices of accommodation/food/whatever, procedures when it comes to various forms and so on can prove quite problematic) that would otherwise be hard to get by for a person that knows no one else in the area. It can prove a substitute for a lack of general social network natives acquire throughout their lives.

I also have to say that it's nice to be able to talk to someone who speaks your language, is aware of the cultural/political/economic background etc. This does not necessarily involve shunning contact with everyone else, though.

I mean, is it really that surprising that when someone who doesn't speak English that well (if at all) and is confronted by culture often vastly different from his or her own would regard turning to the community of people who (s)he shares cultural, national and often religious background with a first instinct?

Portraying all these communities as necessarily bad is IMHO mistaken, for most of them are helpful in early stages and actually provide a support to people, helping them to settle in the new environment faster. It only becomes a problem when it goes to the extreme, and it has to be said that most of these ghetto-like communities are formed over generations and actually consist of people who were already born in the UK in the first place. It's kind of a vicious circle - at first it is difficult to get along on your own, and once you become sucked in a community of this kind, you lose all incentive to actually integrate as you can find all you need within it. And, of course, the more removed your original cultural background is from that in the UK the harder the whole process is.

Well, if you had a wife (husband?) and children and were, say, offered a job in a foreign country, you would obviously be moving with them...
Flandarin
Well, if you had a wife (husband?) and children and were, say, offered a job in a foreign country, you would obviously be moving with them...

o rly? :P

I think I misunderstood you there. I thought you meant that the ghettoisation is correlated with migration through "family network" chanels (e.g. moving near apartment of cousins, other distant relatives, instead of going to real estate agents, speaking with locals, etc.)

///

Anyway, Flandarin. Everything you said is right; I guess they are matters of fact, and the point of my original posting was to magnify the issue you spotted as well...
Flandarin
It only becomes a problem when it goes to the extreme, and it has to be said that most of these ghetto-like communities are formed over generations and actually consist of people who were already born in the UK in the first place.

You got the point; Unfortunately the problem is quite widespread :biggrin: and I should add that I have personally seen such attitudes among new migrants as well... especially if the new migrants are caught (and kept!) by those who are in the host country since generations.

And you know what's the shrewdest "trap" created by these communities?
That - whether you are new in town or a pioneer - if you aren't part of them, you might easily be led to think and feel that you are "marginalized from your own countrymen".
(which is what FrenchGal managed to avoid being drawn into, as far as I understood)

Now, I've seen this phenomenon throughout Europe, in big cities and small towns alike. Sometimes it's really funny to see how each country has their own community of people from India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, China, etc., to see how they behave, what they do, etc. They can be interesting as hell, and yet they are a sad reality when looked at from the larger perspective... a great harbor for conflicts.
FrenchGal

No matter how long I live in Scotland, I'll always be French, even if I don't hang out with French people. To me, it's more an inner thing. I have my language, my education, my customs and habits which will never leave me because I grew up with them. I love my country, I didn't decide I wanted to leave it because I didn't like it, but because I like the UK.

In other words, you love yourself and your personal history, which by chance took place in France... right? :smile:
Is this what is so often called "cultural integrity"?

Just asking :wink:
(which is what FrenchGal managed to avoid being drawn into, as far as I understood)

Yeah, but you can't compare me to the people who came to a new country because they had too (work, political situation in their home country...). I chose to come, I can speak English correctly enough. And I want to integrate.

In other words, you love yourself and your personal history, which by chance took place in France... right?
Is this what is so often called "cultural integrity"?

Love myself? Where did I say that? It sounds like I'm the most selfish being on earth :p:
I wouldn't say I love myself and my personal history... I just meant that I'm not gonna slag off my home country because I decided to leave it.

What I meant with the words you've emboldened... I spent 21 years in France. But even if I stay in the UK for 30, 40 years, these 21 first years of my life will always make me French, deep inside. I'll always be French before I'm Scottish, because I grew up and was educated in France, and the first years of your life are the most important to you as an individual.
That is, I'll always feel more comfortable speaking French, no matter how fluent I am in English, I'll always think it's natural to kiss someone on the cheek to say hello, and I'll always think Irn Bru is the most disgusting drink ever made :wink:
TheEntertainer
I'm not suggesting anything.

I'm asking, since I can't find an answer to it by myself :smile:

And how come are the places of worship all close together?
Convenience... ok. Relative though.
In any case: this is what usually happens when they first come to the host country...
but if this carries on, are they really coming to the host country, or to an "enclave" of their own country within the borders of another?

To srat, i thinnk the word "expat" is being misused a bit. It isn't the correct term to describe a lot of these people. While 'technically' correct to use it, there are more suitable words to describe these communities you speak of- immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers...

And these groups don't have much say in where they are stationned once they get here. Ghettoisation is more often a result of councils and government assigning people to certain areas- often inner-city, low-rent type areas.

You ask why they move as families. Well wouldn't you? Take your kids with you? Close relatives? My mother lives around the corner from my grandmother, so is easy to visit her. My aunt lives in the same neighbourhood, easy to visit. I see nothing out of the ordinary about wanting famil close by.

Places of worship are close by because if certain religions are al placed in certain areas, it makes complete sense to have churches, mosques and temples in those areas.

They are in a new country, for whatever reason. They have the right to speak their own anguage when they want to. I accpt of course the need to know the manguage of the host country, but most do of course. They are subject to the same laws and custom of the host country to remember. I just dono't see anyting wrong with keeping their own cultures, while respecting the host ones too.
FrenchGal

That's exactly what I was trying to say :biggrin:

Basically, what you're saying is that if you had spent your first 21 years in Hungary, you wouldn't have the same feelings you have now, right?
TheEntertainer
That's exactly what I was trying to say :biggrin:

Basically, what you're saying is that if you had spent your first 21 years in Hungary, you wouldn't have the same feelings you have now, right?

I'd have the same feelings, but towards Hungary. I can't deny my personal history. I was born French, and then I've learnt to know my country as I grew up - and I was lucky enough to grow up in a nice environment, so I also grew up to love it.

Will: as you know, I'm in the same situation as you. Yesterday, I went to a French girl's birthday party, and there were only French assistants (that's what I am, a French assistant), and honestly... I was bored, and I didn't go out clubbing with them afterwards because I'd had enough of them. It takes a long time to get to know people out of your community... but hang on in there, you'll find people you want to spend time with and who want to spend time with you, whatever their nationality.
cottonmouth
To srat, i thinnk the word "expat" is being misused a bit. It isn't the correct term to describe a lot of these people. While 'technically' correct to use it, there are more suitable words to describe these communities you speak of- immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers...

Oh yeah, there is a distinction between just expatriating out of cultural interest or migrating because of economic or political duress.
If you look closely, though, the attitudes are analogous. In the case of expats it is simply at a smaller scale.
Think of all European businessmen who go to Asian countries - sometimes third world countries - and only occasionally "mingle with the locals". Exception: pleasure tourism.
They also have their small niche community, a small ghetto set up to survive in the wilderness, and their own network :smile:

cottonmouth
They are in a new country, for whatever reason. They have the right to speak their own anguage when they want to. I accpt of course the need to know the manguage of the host country, but most do of course. They are subject to the same laws and custom of the host country to remember. I just dono't see anyting wrong with keeping their own cultures, while respecting the host ones too.

I know. The fact is... you're talking about laws, about rights and duties.
I'm talking about love and friendship :smile:
Oh yeah, there is a distinction between just expatriating out of cultural interest or migrating because of economic or political duress.
If you look closely, though, the attitudes are analogous. In the case of expats it is simply at a smaller scale.

Let me introduce you to the community I'm supposed to be part of.
We are Foreign Language Assistants, French for the most.
We've migrated out of cultural interest, since we're here to improve our English and to get to know the culture better.
However... the assistants spend their life together. They go out clubbing together, they shop together, they even share flats.
As a result, they don't integrate at all. Yesterday, I was talking to one of them, and he was saying that British people don't use the F word that much... I was like, wow, where have you been for the past 6 months? And I told him, maybe you don't meet enough Scottish people... and he said I he didn't.
They stay in their small community because it's more difficult to go out and try and meet people out of it. Because Scottish people have their lives and their friends, and it's difficult to be integrated. Yes, it is bloody difficult, believe me, I've been here for a year and a half, and of course, I don't have as many friends as in France. But I stick to it because I want to stay there and feel like I'm at home. Quite often, I feel lonely, because I don't want to take the easy option and socialize with the other assistants - who are all leaving in June anyway, and if I was socialzing with them only, I'd be friendless as before when they leave.
And I'm starting to feel integrated here - in terms of love and frienship, to quote TheEntertainer - and it is really rewarding.

I don't see the point in expatriating out of cultural interest, and stick to your own community... you might as well stay home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending