The Student Room Group

What are the A level reforms?

So I post in the vet med threads a bit and I have a blog where I'd like to give people a little bit of advice on getting into bet school, but I heard the a level reforms were starting soon and for the life of me I can't find any info on them so if someone could clarify for me that would be great 😊
Basically, rather than taking 50% of the A level one year (AS) and then the other 50% the year after (A2) the full A Level is sat after 2 years of study.

And generally speaking the level of coursework in A Levels will be decreasing.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I understand it, AS and A2 still exist, they're just separate qualifications now. And as Fanatical Geek said A2 exams are sat after 2 years.

There's info here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-the-facts-gcse-and-a-level-reform/get-the-facts-as-and-a-level-reform
Reply 3
Thank you both! I think I get it, but if I understand correctly it seems kind of stupid to get rid of modules :colone:
Reply 4
2 of my subjects will be the full 2 year course, the other 2 will be the original AS then A2 course.

Pleased coursework is decreasing though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louiseee_
So I post in the vet med threads a bit and I have a blog where I'd like to give people a little bit of advice on getting into bet school, but I heard the a level reforms were starting soon and for the life of me I can't find any info on them so if someone could clarify for me that would be great 😊

There is a separate AS and A level qualification now. A levels must be taken at the end of 2 years. AS at the end of 1. That is the main change. There are still modules you just do them all at the end of 1/2 year/s. For example the science A levels in OCR will have 3 exams at the end of two years.

Coursework is also going wherever possible.

There are a number of subject specific changes as well. For example biology now is required to have 10% maths in the exams. Best way to know about the subject specific changes is to read the specifications. I've only looked into biology and chemistry myself.

Quick Reply

Latest