The Student Room Group

HKU/CU LLB non-jupas applicants 2016

Thought I'd start this thread for HK university LLB (bachelor of laws) applicants, so we can share information on admission grades, interviews etc.

It would be great if you could post your results and predicted grades as well!! :smile:

this is my academic profile:

GCSEs: 10A*s 3As

AS: Maths- A (95%), Chemistry- A (93%), Economics- A (100%), Geography- A
Average UMS: 96.0%

A2/next year: Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Further Maths (AS)

A2 predictions: A*A*A*

THANKS!!!!
hi:biggrin:
do you know what the admission grades are?
Thx!
Original post by thesmallman
Thought I'd start this thread for HK university LLB (bachelor of laws) applicants, so we can share information on admission grades, interviews etc.

It would be great if you could post your results and predicted grades as well!! :smile:

this is my academic profile:

GCSEs: 10A*s 3As

AS: Maths- A (95%), Chemistry- A (93%), Economics- A (100%), Geography- A
Average UMS: 96.0%

A2/next year: Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Further Maths (AS)

A2 predictions: A*A*A*

THANKS!!!!

Hi im applying for Electrical Engineering.
post A level A*A*A*A
Reply 3
Original post by mint_chocolate
hi:biggrin:
do you know what the admission grades are?
Thx!

From what I've heard it's A*A*A to A*A*A* for HKU and AAA for CUHK....are you applying too??
Reply 4
Original post by Duke Glacia
Hi im applying for Electrical Engineering.
post A level A*A*A*A

Hey well I've heard the engineering admission grades aren't very high so I would think you have a very good chance.

Plus, I think I remember you from the cambridge thread (correct me if I'm wrong), r u from Hong Kong then?
Hey well I've heard the engineering admission grades aren't very high so I would think you have a very good chance.

Plus, I think I remember you from the cambridge thread (correct me if I'm wrong), r u from Hong Kong then?

:shock:Youre right, but im not from HK. Im a Japanese living in India. So if i dont get into good uni in UK then I would go to HKU or HKUST not sure though.
How good is it foe engineering ?
I think the requirement for HKU LLB is a joke. A*A*A is the minimum requirement whereas for Oxford is AAA and A*AA for Cambridge. It is absurd. What made them think that a candidate with A*A*A would go to their law school when their grades are probably good enough to get them into Oxbridge lse ucl or king's?

Also I am applying with Scottish qualifications (highers & Advanced highers), and I would have to say that the HKU non-jupas website is probably the least user-friendly application website for Scottish candidates. Not very good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by william0606
I think the requirement for HKU LLB is a joke. A*A*A is the minimum requirement whereas for Oxford is AAA and A*AA for Cambridge. It is absurd. What made them think that a candidate with A*A*A would go to their law school when their grades are probably good enough to get them into Oxbridge lse ucl or king's?

They maybe aren't rich enough to go to the UK?
Okay I am not saying this applies to every non-jupas applicant but if you were born in HK but are doing a foreign curricular, chances are you will be likely from a relatively comfortable background comparing to local students who are doing HKDSE
Original post by callum_law
They maybe aren't rich enough to go to the UK?

Also I am applying with Scottish qualifications (highers & Advanced highers), and I would have to say that the HKU non-jupas website is probably the least user-friendly application website for Scottish candidates. Not very good.

AAA is the entry requirement. that doesnt mean everyone with AAA can get into Oxbridge. There are people with amazing grades who gets rejected each year
Original post by Duke Glacia
:shock:Youre right, but im not from HK. Im a Japanese living in India. So if i dont get into good uni in UK then I would go to HKU or HKUST not sure though.
How good is it foe engineering ?

I would think ust is probably better for engineering but hku has a better overall reputations and arguably more connections with top firms etc. But I'm not too sure tbh

I think with hku grades are the single most important factor in admissions so I think the general consensus is if you have the grades ur pretty much guaranteed an offer whereas for Cambridge, even the strongest candidates on paper get rejected year on year whilst weaker candidates are accepted, because other aspects of the application are also considered important too
Don't HKU interview their candidates online too?

Anyway, my point is that their requirement might not be able to attract candidates with the most potential and talent because people with amazing grades like A*A*A would more likely go to a top law school in the UK or the US rather than HKU.

Say there are two groups of students. One group who got the grades A*A*A or better will probably go to the universities in the golden triangle. The other group with lower grades (say, A*AA), though almost equally intelligent and hard working, will be immediately put off applying because of the minimum requirement.

But I mean for people who would like to practice in Hong Kong, studying an LLB degree at HKU might be the most straightforward way anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
From what I've heard it's A*A*A to A*A*A* for HKU and AAA for CUHK....are you applying too??

oh really?? the admission grades are really harsh!! i thought they will lower them a bit for international students tho! i originally planned to apply for hku but now that i know that it required at least 2A* and an A, i think i might just apply for hkcu instead.
Original post by mint_chocolate
oh really?? the admission grades are really harsh!! i thought they will lower them a bit for international students tho! i originally planned to apply for hku but now that i know that it required at least 2A* and an A, i think i might just apply for hkcu instead.

Haha yeah I agree, will go for hku but it'll be my ambitious option lol...cu is really good as well (if not as good as hku)

What are your stats like?? And r u applying for law in the UK also?
Haha yeah I agree, will go for hku but it'll be my ambitious option lol...cu is really good as well (if not as good as hku)

What are your stats like?? And r u applying for law in the UK also?

yea, i guess applying for hku is a bit too risky for me.. are u also doing alevel in the uk now? yea i am, are u?
I have also received an interview offer from hku and its on 17th dec too. But im gonna stay in the uk over christmas. Just wonder if its possible for them to do it in an alternative way like skype maybe? otherwise i will have to book a flight ticket now

Quick Reply

Latest