The Student Room Group

Age requirements for Med Unis

Hi! I'm applying for entry in 2016, but throughout most of the first year I will be 17 years old (my birthday is in june). This is because I skipped a year when I was younger. Are there any universities that have minimum age requirements?
Reply 1
No. Who said there was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nicholaschung
Hi! I'm applying for entry in 2016, but throughout most of the first year I will be 17 years old (my birthday is in june). This is because I skipped a year when I was younger. Are there any universities that have minimum age requirements?

At Leeds, we had 17 year old girls that I know of in my year (turned 18 at Uni). I personally would recommend a gap year to gain more experience and mature, not just because you'll be the youngest, but you could benefit from travelling, a year of working in the NHS (invaluable experience) and get alittle break before the hard work :tongue: Some places might ask you to defer. I know Liverpool say you have to be 18 by October of the year you join (think that's when their placement starts)
(edited 8 years ago)
Some courses have clinical exposure before that though.I remember on work experience anything which involved examination of the private areas (was in gyae and obs) the nurse and doctors were told that I wasn't allowed to be there as I was under 18. Might have just been the hospital policy though considering people can start working as a HCA etc at 16 I think.
Original post by derma2019
At Leeds, we had 17 year old girls that I know of in my year (turned 18 at Uni). I personally would recommend a gap year to gain more experience and mature, not just because you'll be the youngest, but you could benefit from travelling, a year of working in the NHS (invaluable experience) and get alittle break before the hard work :tongue: Some places might ask you to defer. I know Liverpool say you have to be 18 by October of the year you join (think that's when their placement starts)

Is it possible to gain work experience from the NHS at college? Everywhere I've tried have refused :frown:
WOW! Could you possibly help me because I simply am getting NOWHERE?
Reply 6
Original post by nicholaschung

There have been several threads about this already this year, so if you search TSR, you should be able to find out the information.
Most Scottish Unis do not care, as they have a different education system, and until recently, people left School at 17. Also Newcastle/Durham, Manchester, Nottingham and (I think) Exeter are OK with it, but it is always worth checking with each individual Med School if you cannot specifically find it in their website.
I have work experience but not in places like clinics or care centres etc (which I really want). I don't really know of many people in the health profession either :frown:
Original post by wowthisiscool
Is it possible to gain work experience from the NHS at college? Everywhere I've tried have refused :frown:

I did at 16 , depends on the hospital :smile: I did some voluntary meal time helper at 17 too.
Original post by derma2019
I did at 16 , depends on the hospital :smile: I did some voluntary meal time helper at 17 too.

LUCKY!!! Which hospital was it (If you don't mind me asking) and did you get in through family or friends? If you didn't get in through someone, TELL ME HOW YOU GOT IN!
I'm so annoyed because I literally have no options left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending