The Student Room Group

PgDip adult nursing

After finding this course available at sheffield hallam I knew it was what I wanted to do. However, I have a degree in criminology which I completed studying in 2011, and I'm concerned that this degree won't be suitable for a nursing course.I have a job working in care and volunteer with a homeless charity so I think experience wise this is good. However with the course you need to have a degree but you have to show how your education and experience meet the expectations.What do people think? I'd prefer to go down the 2 year post grad course rather than another 3 year degree.Thanks
Original post by Eyesascandles
After finding this course available at sheffield hallam I knew it was what I wanted to do. However, I have a degree in criminology which I completed studying in 2011, and I'm concerned that this degree won't be suitable for a nursing course.I have a job working in care and volunteer with a homeless charity so I think experience wise this is good. However with the course you need to have a degree but you have to show how your education and experience meet the expectations.What do people think? I'd prefer to go down the 2 year post grad course rather than another 3 year degree.Thanks

It doesn't matter (really) what degree you've done first, as you have the practical experience. When you write your Personal Statement, just highlight the transferable skills from your Criminology degree, such as being able to write academically to Level 6 standard, being good at time management and having problem solving skills. You can showcase other skills/values such as compassion and communication from the care and voluntary work that you've done :smile:

I can certainly understand why you'd want to do the PgDip, and not another 3 years!

Hope that's helpful. Good luck!
Original post by PaediatricStN
It doesn't matter (really) what degree you've done first, as you have the practical experience. When you write your Personal Statement, just highlight the transferable skills from your Criminology degree, such as being able to write academically to Level 6 standard, being good at time management and having problem solving skills. You can showcase other skills/values such as compassion and communication from the care and voluntary work that you've done :smile:

I can certainly understand why you'd want to do the PgDip, and not another 3 years!

Hope that's helpful. Good luck!

Awww thank you so much for your help and advice, it has reassured me. Hoping i can pass the application and interview stage :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending