The Student Room Group

What's driving a car like for the first time?

A dumb question, but I've passed my theory, and have my first driving lesson tomorrow. To those of you with experience in driving a car, what's it like? Did you get nervous on your first lesson? :colondollar: I'm nervous. I don't know why.

Scroll to see replies

Dont be nervous! Just enjoy it! :biggrin:

I found it exciting and loved it!
I was nervous. However it wasn't that hard, just listen to the instructor and follow their instructions. Don't be worried or frustrated if you stall at first, everybody does. Soon you will be on your way driving around. The thing which hit me first was how quickly your travel around compared to walking and running. Also don't look at things out of the window, keep your eyes on the road at all time. I have nearly crashed 3 times because looking at fields and pretty houses around where I live. :smile:
Original post by cupcakes87
Dont be nervous! Just enjoy it! :biggrin:

I found it exciting and loved it!

It will be a mixture of excitement and apprehension, but after the first few weeks it will pass and it will be fine. She has done the hard bit, passing the theory.
I really struggled changing gears for the first time
Reply 5
Original post by william walker
I was nervous. However it wasn't that hard, just listen to the instructor and follow their instructions. Don't be worried or frustrated if you stall at first, everybody does. Soon you will be on your way driving around. The thing which hit me first was how quickly your travel around compared to walking and running. Also don't look at things out of the window, keep your eyes on the road at all time. I have nearly crashed 3 times because looking at fields and pretty houses around where I live. :smile:

Omg nearly crashed omg hope you're ok.
Ahh okay so you are currently still taking lessons? :smile:
Original post by arfah
A dumb question, but I've passed my theory, and have my first driving lesson tomorrow. To those of you with experience in driving a car, what's it like? Did you get nervous on your first lesson? :colondollar: I'm nervous. I don't know why.

You're a little nervous, but if your instructor is good then he/she wont rush you. They'll tell you what to do and will usually take you on quiet roads for you to get the hang of clutch control and changing gears. Once you drive for like 10 mins you be fine. Just make sure when you break, you press it gently and dont slam them. Also remember to press the clutch in too to save you embarrassment :tongue:
Original post by arfah
Omg nearly crashed omg hope you're ok.
Ahh okay so you are currently still taking lessons? :smile:

Yep. I have my own car. I nearly crashed today actually because some white van driver started to pull out, stopped and then started pulling out again as I moved forward. Then I c"cked up the left turn because of was p**d off by it. I have anger problems. :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by Numan786
You're a little nervous, but if your instructor is good then he/she wont rush you. They'll tell you what to do and will usually take you on quiet roads for you to get the hang of clutch control and changing gears. Once you drive for like 10 mins you be fine. Just make sure when you break, you press it gently and dont slam them. Also remember to press the clutch in too to save you embarrassment :tongue:

Thanks for the advice. I'll remember that for tomorrow :colondollar:
Yep. I have my own car. I nearly crashed today actually because some white van driver started to pull out, stopped and then started pulling out again as I moved forward. Then I c"cked up the left turn because of was p**d off by it. I have anger problems. :colondollar:

Wow keep the anger at home/outside not in the car! :tongue: I'm quite a patient person so hopefully I won't get pissed easily.
Its Glorious!

TO FREEDOM
Your thread will be moved to 'Motoring'/'Learning to drive' soon :yep: @Blackrose

Awh don't be nervous! I bet you'd even manage to find it fun. It's not that daunting at all. I'm going to be honest, for my first lesson I wasn't nervous at all. In fact I was excited. The only part in which I was slightly bricking it was one, my driver's test and two, driving my car for the first time on my own. You'll be alright Arfah :h:
Presumably you've been practicing with a family member? Its a bit of a waste of money to pay a professional instructor to watch you stall for 40 minutes.

I would say for every hour your go out with an instructor, you should go out for 5 hours with a family member.
Original post by arfah
Wow keep the anger at home/outside not in the car! :tongue: I'm quite a patient person so hopefully I won't get pissed easily.

I get annoyed when other people make mistakes or try and bully me on the road. :angry: You will see what I mean people will be right up behind you when you are going slow at first. Even now when I am traveling perfectly quickly people are up my bottom. Also annoying when people over take me forcing me to slow down which I am gathering speed coming out of a junction.
Reply 13
It will be a mixture of excitement and apprehension, but after the first few weeks it will pass and it will be fine. She has done the hard bit, passing the theory.

Btw I thought the practical would be harder than the theory?
Original post by Anоnymous
Its Glorious!

TO FREEDOM

Not really when is cost money for fuel, car, insurance and so on. The freedom thing with cars is a lie.
Not really when is cost money for fuel, car, insurance and so on. The freedom thing with cars is a lie.

With my car I can go where I want
Original post by arfah
Btw I thought the practical would be harder than the theory?

No the driving part is easy. In terms of hours spent driving, compared to hours spend revising. The theory is harder. Driving is easy, once you get the hang of it. :biggrin: You should be fine in 8-10 lessons.
Reply 17
Original post by cole-slaw
Presumably you've been practicing with a family member? Its a bit of a waste of money to pay a professional instructor to watch you stall for 40 minutes.

I would say for every hour your go out with an instructor, you should go out for 5 hours with a family member.

No I've never practiced before at all :frown:
I get annoyed when other people make mistakes or try and bully me on the road. :angry: You will see what I mean people will be right up behind you when you are going slow at first. Even now when I am traveling perfectly quickly people are up my bottom. Also annoying when people over take me forcing me to slow down which I am gathering speed coming out of a junction.
Lol get what you mean tbh that sounds like some real pisstake
:lol: anger management problems:ninja:
Original post by Anоnymous
With my car I can go where I want

So long as their is a road? Yeah.
I was nervous and not really interested in driving - I just wanted to get it over with..however when I drove 20mph down an empty road I felt really good and powerful :') it felt like a big accomplishment so enjoy that feeling!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending