The Student Room Group

FIRST YEARS & FRESHERS - Student Worries?

Poll

What is your biggest student worry?

Hello,

If you are a first year and fresher, I want to know what your student worries are? By this I mean what scares you about university? What do you know about university already that you are questioning whether it's true? What are you worrying about and so on and so fourth.

I run a blog on WordPress about my journey through university but providing helpful articles around 'STUDENT WORRIES' you can see them here: JustGeorgeJ

Reply below with your student worries, concerns or anything you feel you would like to share. :biggrin:

https://justgeorgej.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/student-worries-your-say-tsr-poll-results/ < Article written about the poll.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I start uni on the 21st my student finance isnt done yet had to change things...if my tuition fee doesnt get to the uni on time what can i do? Will they still allow be to study the course or no?
Original post by Remz00
I start uni on the 21st my student finance isnt done yet had to change things...if my tuition fee doesnt get to the uni on time what can i do? Will they still allow be to study the course or no?

Yes, don't worry. Universities are very understanding about how Student Finance can do. A lot of students have problems with SF year round so don't worry. I'd ring student finance and found out where they are with your student finance, it shouldn't take long to arrange and then contact your univerisity and explain your situation. Even if your tution fees go in a little later, you'll still be able to study on your course.
ok... so i originally got into physics, then switched to engineering...and now i applied to go back the physics. Just worried it would be unsuccessful, they can't let me do a course i don't particularly want to do and blow my money on...right? my course starts in 4 weeks, so it's not like a year in
Original post by Chung224
ok... so i originally got into physics, then switched to engineering...and now i applied to go back the physics. Just worried it would be unsuccessful, they can't let me do a course i don't particularly want to do and blow my money on...right? my course starts in 4 weeks, so it's not like a year in

So, let me just get this straight...
You started off doing physics but then switched to do engineering and now have applied to go back to physics because that's what you want to study?
It will be successful, I'd contact your university and ask how your application is going, they'll be more than happy to tell you. They'd never make you do a course you didn't want too. Most univeristies offer a two week window once lectures have started when you can swap course if you aren't happy.
You'll be fine, you'll be doing physics.
Reply 5
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Yes, don't worry. Universities are very understanding about how Student Finance can do. A lot of students have problems with SF year round so don't worry. I'd ring student finance and found out where they are with your student finance, it shouldn't take long to arrange and then contact your univerisity and explain your situation. Even if your tution fees go in a little later, you'll still be able to study on your course.

Thanks george, and what if I need to enrol soon and it still hasnt been sorted can i still enrol without any problems? I have to enrol online and i think the SF will be asked for during that process..
So, let me just get this straight...
You started off doing physics but then switched to do engineering and now have applied to go back to physics because that's what you want to study?
It will be successful, I'd contact your university and ask how your application is going, they'll be more than happy to tell you. They'd never make you do a course you didn't want too. Most univeristies offer a two week window once lectures have started when you can swap course if you aren't happy.
You'll be fine, you'll be doing physics.

ahh, thank you! that's very reassuring.
Original post by Remz00
Thanks george, and what if I need to enrol soon and it still hasnt been sorted can i still enrol without any problems? I have to enrol online and i think the SF will be asked for during that process..

No problem.
You enrollment is online? Enrollment is usually in the first week or so of uni so if it's then and you have to do it online, it'll be no problem. If you have to do it earlier, I'd find the contact number for your univerisity and explain the situation with student finance - hence why it's important to ring SF and find out where they are with your finances - and then they can sort it out for you and advise you about how you go around the process. However, enrollment doesn't usually include anything about finance - that's just to confirm you are attending the university for student finances knowledge.
Original post by Chung224
ahh, thank you! that's very reassuring.

No problem. You'll be fine. Like I said, whenever in doubt, just ring the university or email them. It's what they are there for. I started university with applying with Education with Joint Drama and then changed just before I got there and once I was there a lot of people went from joint to single in the first week or two. You have time.
Reply 9
No problem.
You enrollment is online? Enrollment is usually in the first week or so of uni so if it's then and you have to do it online, it'll be no problem. If you have to do it earlier, I'd find the contact number for your univerisity and explain the situation with student finance - hence why it's important to ring SF and find out where they are with your finances - and then they can sort it out for you and advise you about how you go around the process. However, enrollment doesn't usually include anything about finance - that's just to confirm you are attending the university for student finances knowledge.

Ahh thank you ive been soo worried.
Original post by Remz00
Ahh thank you ive been soo worried.

No problem, don't over worry yourself.
Would you mind if I used your 'worry' towards an article so I can advise other people in your similar situation?
Reply 11
Have another question for you sorry if im asking too much but how long will it take for SF to recieve the evidence I sent if I sent it off from the post office on wednesday?
Reply 12
No problem, don't over worry yourself.
Would you mind if I used your 'worry' towards an article so I can advise other people in your similar situation?

Thats fine 😁 just make sure to mention me lol
Original post by Remz00
Have another question for you sorry if im asking too much but how long will it take for SF to recieve the evidence I sent if I sent it off from the post office on wednesday?

You don't have to be sorry, you can ask as much as you want, it's what I'm here for.

It depends, does SF come with the envolpe for you to send it away, it's a freepost one is it not? (It's been over a year since I did mine) if so, from Wednesday, I imagine by at least Monday? If you haven't heard anything by the following Wednesday, ring up and ask. I wouldn't imagine more than week. Excluding the weekend of course.

If it wasn't a free post envolpe and you did it first class, next day, if second class, then about a week again.
Original post by Remz00
Thats fine 😁 just make sure to mention me lol

No problem at all!
Reply 15
You don't have to be sorry, you can ask as much as you want, it's what I'm here for.

It depends, does SF come with the envolpe for you to send it away, it's a freepost one is it not? (It's been over a year since I did mine) if so, from Wednesday, I imagine by at least Monday? If you haven't heard anything by the following Wednesday, ring up and ask. I wouldn't imagine more than week. Excluding the weekend of course.

If it wasn't a free post envolpe and you did it first class, next day, if second class, then about a week again.

I have to send it off in a envolpe i brought from the post office and it cost £7.90 just to send it off lol think its best if i do first class post its so annoying why cant everything be done online like their not taking money from my pocket already when i go uni😂😂😂
Original post by Remz00
I have to send it off in a envolpe i brought from the post office and it cost £7.90 just to send it off lol think its best if i do first class post its so annoying why cant everything be done online like their not taking money from my pocket already when i go uni😂😂😂

Ah I see! £7.90 is a lot, what did you send?! Your left arm?! I imagine it should be there now, it is the weekend though so I'd say wait till Tuesday to see if anything has changed, if not, ring them Wednesday!
Reply 17
Ah I see! £7.90 is a lot, what did you send?! Your left arm?! I imagine it should be there now, it is the weekend though so I'd say wait till Tuesday to see if anything has changed, if not, ring them Wednesday!

Hahah no i forgot my ear lol i need to send off my indentity form..my parent income form and my tuition free form too..i would tell you the whole story but its long as hell lool
(edited 8 years ago)
1) quick q; so i applied for student finance going on the impression that i'd be studying at my firm uni.

i didn't get into my firm.

will student finance still send the money to manchester uni (my firm) or to swansea (my insurance uni)?

and if they will send it (my student finance) to my firm (as stated on the letter theysent to me); how the hell do i notify them that i flopped and i'm now going to my insurance!? how do i tell them to change it..? is there a number i can dial or? and if there is a number; what is the number!?

2) how do i enrol onto my course; consideringi'm 'supposed' to start on the 18th of september?

3) i'm kinda worried if i'l be able to survive financially. how much (exlcusind accomodation and student fiancne; as my student fiancne covers my accomodation; and not a penny more left for me to live with)do i need to take to uni..? will £2000 be enuigh for the year to cover my food; transport; e.t.c? (that is roughly, £50 per week)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by theDanIdentity
1) quick q; so i applied for student finance going on the impression that i'd be studying at my firm uni.

i didn't get into my firm.

will student finance still send the money to manchester uni (my firm) or to swansea (my insurance uni)?

and if they will send it (my student finance) to my firm (as stated on the letter theysent to me); how the hell do i notify them that i flopped and i'm now going to my insurance!? how do i tell them to change it..? is there a number i can dial or? and if there is a number; what is the number!?

2) how do i enrol onto my course; consideringi'm 'supposed' to start on the 18th of september?

3) i'm kinda worried if i'l be able to survive financially. how much (exlcusind accomodation and student fiancne; as my student fiancne covers my accomodation; and not a penny more left for me to live with)do i need to take to uni..? will £2000 be enuigh for the year to cover my food; transport; e.t.c? (that is roughly, £50 per week)

Okay, let's break this down.

1. You can do all of this online, you can alter details on the Student Finance England website, they should have gave you a number to log in with and you choose a password? You can use them to log back into the site, the address is: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login - Log in and you can alter you details about university and what not, once you've done this Student Finance will spend you more letters of conformation, however, I'd suggest doing this over the phone, the number for SFE is: 03001000607 - you can ring them Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday to Sunday 9am to 4pm if that helps? Just ring them, explain your situation and they'll change it all for you.

2. Enrollment can differ depending on the university you attend. To 'enroll' at my university we had an enrollment day where we went and gave certain details and what not, we confirmed we were attending and we got our Student ID cards, however, I am aware of some universities that do enrollment over the internet. If you want to know, ring up your university, you will be able to find their numbers on their websites.

3. Finances wise, everybody panics about finances, so you aren't alone. You are lucky that your entire Student Finance covers your accommodation, at least you don't have to worry about that. £2000 for the year? and you've broken that down to £50 per week. I'd say you can survive off that amount per week. Shopping wise, make sure you are shopping at cheaper supermarkets such as Aldi etc, make sure if you are going out you aren't buying expensive drinks and what not, just be wise. It's good you've already budgeted. I lived off £70 per week during my first year and that was more than enough, I think £50 would be plenty.

Does this help?
If you want more information, just say.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending