The Student Room Group

Best CAS and EE to do for applying to medicine?

Hiya! Starting college in a couple of days and thought it'd be a good idea to get an early start on some things. I'm doing HL: Bio, Chem and Eng Lit. SL: French, Maths and History.
Thinking of applying to medicine, so what would be the best kind of essay and CAS to do for the best chance for getting into my course ? :smile:
Thank you!
Whichever EE will score you an A. Nobody gives a **** what topic you have for it, don't torture yourself into doing a Biology EE if your strongest subject is English Lit, the only thing that matters at the end of the day is the grade. Unless you do a research level project in a University lab, nobody will blink an eye whatever your EE.

As for CAS, more or less anything can be used to gain plus points towards medicine. Stuff like being a leader or being a team player or being caring, dealing with people blah blah... more or less anything you do for CAS will tick some boxes for medicine.
Reply 2
For an EE you probably want to do a science subject, especially because if you interview at a university you'll have a subject you're really familiar with to talk about.

I know in the US you can sign up to be an EMT while in high school, if you can do that type of thing that would be really good because it's service (and you could argue for action too) and it really shows that you want to do medicine. Also look into whether you can volunteer at hospitals or care homes etc.
Reply 3
Hey! I'm in second year IB and I wanna do Med too.

For the EE, do whatever will get you the highest grade with the least amount of time. My advice is DON'T do a science EE, my friends spent months in the lab only to find that their experiment didn't work? I'm really glad I didn't get a science EE

All CAS can be twisted into being relevant for Medicine. If you can kill two birds with one stone and use elderly visits, volunteering etc. as CAS, even better.
Original post by afern
For an EE you probably want to do a science subject, especially because if you interview at a university you'll have a subject you're really familiar with to talk about.

I know in the US you can sign up to be an EMT while in high school, if you can do that type of thing that would be really good because it's service (and you could argue for action too) and it really shows that you want to do medicine. Also look into whether you can volunteer at hospitals or care homes etc.

Okay thank you! I'm from the UK, so I don't think that EMT thing would actually be something that I could do as a 16 year old (unfortunately). I'm thinking of working with disabled children being their buddy or something like that.
Original post by CYsuxx
Hey! I'm in second year IB and I wanna do Med too.

For the EE, do whatever will get you the highest grade with the least amount of time. My advice is DON'T do a science EE, my friends spent months in the lab only to find that their experiment didn't work? I'm really glad I didn't get a science EE

All CAS can be twisted into being relevant for Medicine. If you can kill two birds with one stone and use elderly visits, volunteering etc. as CAS, even better.

I always thought that even if the experiment didn't work you could still make a good report, but obviously with ways to improve the experiment for next time or by identifying what went wrong and why ???????
And, if you don't mind me asking, what did you do for your EE? :smile:
Original post by juliethecool
Okay thank you! I'm from the UK, so I don't think that EMT thing would actually be something that I could do as a 16 year old (unfortunately). I'm thinking of working with disabled children being their buddy or something like that.

Just for the record, most Universities don't have the first clue what the EE is and won't ask you about it in your interview even if you have a relevant one. So unless sciences are also your strongest subject and would have been your choice anyway, don't bother forcing an EE in science, because they don't tend to score as highly as humanities, languages etc. There will be so much in your personal statement that doing your EE in biology will be similar to trying to tell them you wrote them a poem about medicine or something. It's small print!

Working with disabled children would be great for your interview. Just make sure you also get some work experience in a GP or hospital setting at some point - you were probably planning to anyway, I only mention it as the working with disabled children will earn you ++ brownie points but not replace work experience, in case you thought that :smile:

EDIT: Also an experiment that doesn't work can also get an A for an EE. But science EEs in general have very high standards and it's hard to get an A whether your experiment succeeds or fails.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by juliethecool
I always thought that even if the experiment didn't work you could still make a good report, but obviously with ways to improve the experiment for next time or by identifying what went wrong and why ???????
And, if you don't mind me asking, what did you do for your EE? :smile:

I think that's okay, my friends just decided personally to not continue with ones that didn't work.

I did a Geography EE! Just finished my first draft, actually. I was really interested in my topic of urban model/CBD investigation, so it was pretty fun.
Original post by seaholme
Just for the record, most Universities don't have the first clue what the EE is and won't ask you about it in your interview even if you have a relevant one. So unless sciences are also your strongest subject and would have been your choice anyway, don't bother forcing an EE in science, because they don't tend to score as highly as humanities, languages etc. There will be so much in your personal statement that doing your EE in biology will be similar to trying to tell them you wrote them a poem about medicine or something. It's small print!

Working with disabled children would be great for your interview. Just make sure you also get some work experience in a GP or hospital setting at some point - you were probably planning to anyway, I only mention it as the working with disabled children will earn you ++ brownie points but not replace work experience, in case you thought that :smile:

EDIT: Also an experiment that doesn't work can also get an A for an EE. But science EEs in general have very high standards and it's hard to get an A whether your experiment succeeds or fails.

Right, okay, thanks!! I didn't realise that I had to do work experience on top of the CAS so thank you very much for pointing that out. I always thought that those wanting to do science in uni had to do science EE's...I don't know..my tutor has also advised me to do a science EE. I guess I'll talk to him and see what he thinks before I make any final decisions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending