The Student Room Group

Biology and Chemistry HL?

I will be studying the IB soon and I have already made my decision to study the following subjects:

Biology HL
Psychology HL
English Lit HL

Chemistry SL
German SL
Maths Studies SL

However, now I am slightly regretting my decision. Is it true that most universities require two sciences at HL - preferably Bio and Chem HL? I have looked at various different Uni requirements and Bio and Chem seem to be needed for most degrees which are science-based. I wish to pursue a degree in a science based subject such as neuroscience, biology or psychology, etc.

I will talk to my IB coordinator at school and see what he says, but for now.. What do you think?
Can someone please advice me?

Thanks!
Reply 1
If you are pursuing a science based career and are doing ib, you should definatly try to change to biology and chemisty hl
Hi! I also do two sciences and I've done a lot of research into what uni's require when you're looking into a field related to science. All in all, It really depends. If you're looking into a degree in medicine/dentistry/chemistry then Biology and Chemistry HL is definitely the option for you!

However, since you said you were thinking about psychology and biology, I would actually suggest that you take SL Chem because HL Chem is simply not required nor is there any preference to do so. It's also quite a tough course unless you find yourself particularly adept at Chemistry.

I personally think you would have better chances with HL Biology and SL Chemistry, as it would be likely for you to receive a higher IB total score, if you've given the same effort. But in the end, it is your choice. I suggest you pick whichever you'd prefer because it won't be affecting your acceptance chances in university unless of course, you're an aspiring medic :smile:
I also just noticed that you picked Math Studies as a SL, which further suggests to me you should take SL Chem because there are quite a lot of math calculations involved in HL Chemistry so you will have to be pretty comfortable with doing Maths throughout the course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending