The Student Room Group

A-level Additional Further Mathematics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by s_ahmed2
Are you going to do the step exams aswell? If not I suggest you do them instead as unis prefer them and it will give you an advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I will. One of the deciding factors was the notion that the extra modules would help a lot with STEP exams. Again, I want to do it because it's fun and a challenge, not because of its applicability to higher education :biggrin:
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
I'll definitely keep this in mind. I understand that this isn't child's play, but if physics has to suffer, then so be it. I'll likely drop the little **** when A2 comes around anyway, assuming I decide to do AFM. And I've already started working on my maths -- I taught myself a large proportion of C1 over the summer holiday, and can maintain ~73% UMS (on TeeEm's papers, which scale UMS with difficult) on the topics that I taught myself (diff/int, series, sketching graphs).

73% UMS isnt that great in all honesty. C1 is only a small step up from GCSE. I have a friend who could ace (90%+) C1s right from the start and he said he found FM, especially FP3 challenging. I dont mean to be negtive about it, just realistic. I assume you got close to full marks in GCSE maths?
Original post by nickmurp
73% UMS isnt that great in all honesty. C1 is only a small step up from GCSE. I have a friend who could ace (90%+) C1s right from the start and he said he found FM, especially FP3 challenging. I dont mean to be negtive about it, just realistic. I assume you got close to full marks in GCSE maths?

Wow, 90+ is nuts :eek3:! Did she do Further Maths GCSE? I know that helps tremendously with C1 -- I just wished my bloody school offered it to us.

To be fair to myself, AFM increases the workload, if anything. I'm sure the latter mechanics and statistics modules are equally, if not more difficult than FP3, so I'd be ****ed either way, in a sense :cheers:

Funny story about GCSE maths: I got a B (107/200) when I first opened the letter. Had it remarked and it came back with an A* (186/200)! EdExcel, ladies and gentlemen. What a rollercoaster of emotions the bastards put me through.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Don't waste your time of AFM. Do STEP like a man. It's how I got into Imperial :smile: :smile:
Original post by Buses
Don't waste your time of AFM. Do STEP like a man. It's how I got into Imperial :smile: :smile:

Or do both like a real man.
Hello.

I say you do the first few modules (C1, C2 and FP1) on your own and see how fast you progress. If you can finish them in less than two months then there is a good chance you can finish nine of them in one year (with studying in the holidays as well). And by finish them I mean you can achieve above 90% in more than three mock exams (past papers).

Also the mechanics modules are definitely the toughest of them all.

I also agree with Buses about STEP being kind off more important than AFM.
However, imo, AFM probably looks better on a Maths applicant than Economics does. As AFM is supposed to be harder.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by newblood
Or do both like a real man.

LOL joka

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello.

The chances of me doing this qualification are slim. My sixth form doesn't formally offer this choice, so I'd have to revise for and sit the exams externally. But, still, I'm interested in the possibility of taking it. It has this shroud of ominousness surrounding it -- almost as if it's so difficult that nobody even asks about it. Also, Googling it comes up with practically nothing.

My questions:

What does the course consist of? Do I simply pick 6 extra maths modules to go with the ones I'm studying in Maths/FM? Do these modules consist of Statistics/Decision/Mechanics modules exclusively, or are there extra pure modules available for AFM students to take?

Would studying for the exams independently be realistic? I'm not 'gifted' in maths -- I don't learn concepts ridiculously quickly. I do, however, love maths, and am prepared to put in as many hours necessary. As long as it's not impossible, I'm more than happy to pursue it

What order should I do my maths modules? Obviously, I'm going to do them linearly (S1, S2, S3 etc..) I don't know how AS will work, since all of the initial maths will be taken alongside regular maths and further maths AS.

Will it go something like this:

AS: C1, C2, FP1, M1, M2, M3, S1, S2, S3
A2: C3, C4, FP2, M4, M5, S4, S5, D1, D2?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I should probably supplement this post with some extra information:
If I do AFM, I'll compliment it with physics in AS. If I think I can handle it, I'll continue it to A2.
I plan on doing either maths, physics, economics or computer science at University. I understand that there isn't a single university in the world that requires AFM, but I stress that I'm doing it for the challenge and because I know I'd enjoy it. If I were doing A-levels exclusively for getting good grades and going to a Russel group, I'd do Maths, Physics, Economics and Further Maths. I want to do this because I want to learn maths.

You won't be ablt to do M3 in AS since you havent learnt C3/4 which are needed for M3.
I advise the following line up,
AS: C1-4 FP1 M1-2 S1-2
A2 FP2-3 D1-2 S3-4 M3-5
This gives you maximum learning time straight after AS allowing to do FP2-3 M3-4-5 off the bat or S3-4 since you have done enough mech and stats to get slightly used to it and all the core maths to start FP3 or FP2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest