The Student Room Group

A* in French/Spanish A-level.

Hi!
Just wanted some tips on how to get the highest grade in an Edexcel Language A-level please. It seems to be extremely difficult to achieve one and I was just wondering if anybody who has one can give me either some generic advice relating to all exam boards or some specific advice relating to Edexcel in particular.
Thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by hoafanuk
Hi!
Just wanted some tips on how to get the highest grade in an Edexcel Language A-level please. It seems to be extremely difficult to achieve one and I was just wondering if anybody who has one can give me either some generic advice relating to all exam boards or some specific advice relating to Edexcel in particular.
Thank you!

I did edexcel French, but I did it at a rubbish sixth form college. I think maybe1 person got an A* but I'm not 100% sure. Even the native French speakers got As and Bs, no A*.

Please bare in mind it may be completely possible to get an A* if you go to a good private school, or even a very good state school, but if your school is just normal it's very difficult indeed as you do need a fair bit of support from teachers when it comes to languages at a-level.

I was a few marks off an A in my French alevel, and I'm sure if I'd gone to a better school I could have easily got an A but instead I got a measly B

The AS is actually much more difficult with edexcel. The listenings and readings are massively more difficult from GCSE and as for the essay half the marks are about structure!

The A2 is comprised just of 2 essays, a small translation and the oral debate.

If you're good at plagiarising essays and have a bit of luck on your side the A2 written exam should be a walk in the park 😈

In sum, it's actually very difficult to get an A* but I think an A is doable if you're very committed
Reply 3
Original post by lachachacha
I did edexcel French, but I did it at a rubbish sixth form college. I think maybe1 person got an A* but I'm not 100% sure. Even the native French speakers got As and Bs, no A*.

Please bare in mind it may be completely possible to get an A* if you go to a good private school, or even a very good state school, but if your school is just normal it's very difficult indeed as you do need a fair bit of support from teachers when it comes to languages at a-level.

I was a few marks off an A in my French alevel, and I'm sure if I'd gone to a better school I could have easily got an A but instead I got a measly B

The AS is actually much more difficult with edexcel. The listenings and readings are massively more difficult from GCSE and as for the essay half the marks are about structure!

The A2 is comprised just of 2 essays, a small translation and the oral debate.

If you're good at plagiarising essays and have a bit of luck on your side the A2 written exam should be a walk in the park 😈

In sum, it's actually very difficult to get an A* but I think an A is doable if you're very committed

Thanks for your advice! I'm lucky enough to attend a private school with amazing teachers so I don't think I'll have an issue with the support available to me, rather the sheer difficulty of achieving the grade and the difficulties I might have with the language itself. I start sixth form this week (taking Bio, Chem, French and Spanish) so I haven't experienced the horror of A-levels yet but I was just wondering so I could apply it to my AS and then whichever of the languages I carry on to A2 (most likely French). I've heard from many people that getting an A* is incredibly hard. There's usually only one person every couple of years at my school. I guess I'll just have to graft and do the best I can. I did Edexcel IGCSE French this summer and my teachers said it's meant to prepare you better for A-level but who knows, most people seem to say it's still terribly hard so I'll see how it goes.
Thanks again!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest