The Student Room Group

Progress towards a first class degree?

Hey, does anyone know how I can determine my current progress at uni based on my second year marks? I know that they decide my final grade based on both years but I was wondering if I could figure out how close I am to a first class.

I would really appreciate the help guys:redface:.
On the information provided?
Reply 2
Original post by mickinleye
Hey, does anyone know how I can determine my current progress at uni based on my second year marks? I know that they decide my final grade based on both years but I was wondering if I could figure out how close I am to a first class.

I would really appreciate the help guys:redface:.

You need to know:
+ your course weightings (e.g. i think it's standard that 2nd year counts maybe 20% and 3rd year 80%?)
+ your module grades from 2nd year and their weightings or your overall grade from second year

from that you can work out what you need to achieve in 3rd year to get 70% overall
Reply 3
Original post by k3ro
You need to know:
+ your course weightings (e.g. i think it's standard that 2nd year counts maybe 20% and 3rd year 80%?)
+ your module grades from 2nd year and their weightings or your overall grade from second year

from that you can work out what you need to achieve in 3rd year to get 70% overall

But how would I use that to figure it out? Do I take 20/25% of my overall second year grade and subtract that from 70% of 100 marks?
Assuming you're on a 3 year degree and your classification is 25% second year, 75% third year:

- Find out the weightings of your second year modules.
- Calculate a weighted average for your second year
- Multiply the weighted average for second year by 25% to get the percentage of your degree that you've already earned.

Or, if you want to give me the info I'll calculate it for you.

*obviously the numbers change based on your uni, but it's just an example
Reply 5
Original post by mickinleye
But how would I use that to figure it out? Do I take 20/25% of my overall second year grade and subtract that from 70% of 100 marks?

Just use this.

Original post by butterscotch_
Hi - I'm currently going into my 4th year of a masters undergraduate degree. I need 72.38% this year to overall get a first. Is this doable or too high/difficult to achieve?

bearing in mind my 4th year is 75% courswork and 25% exams so I'm feeling a bit confident about but can't help to doubt. I did achieve first class marks for some exams in my 3rd but it was mostly down to my horrible dissertation superivisor which ruined my chance to get a first over my 3 years and graduate. Nevertheless, I am currently on 68% overall of my degree which is good but I really want a first. I find it difficult to be proud of my current achievement.

My 4th year is worth 40%

I'd say that's definitely doable, especially if it's mostly coursework.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending