The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you converted to Islam you'd have a much better chance, and they'd be accepting
To Most of them religion is more important than culture

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
She is very serious about us. We're both 21 and we met when we were 18. She brought up the marriage talk and her parents a couple of days ago. Seems like the only thing we can do is run away. (she suggested)

You say she is very serious about you guys, but what about you? There's always the chance that, if you do elope, in ten years time you guys may fall out and get a divorce. And then the girl will be left all alone in this miserable world without anybody there to provide any moral support.

Do you know what her parents are like? Have you ever met them? Do you think they'll react badly if come out to them? Try your best to not run away together cause that romanticism tends to screw people over. You're too young and immature to know what's best for you yet.
Original post by mr.purplelambkin
You say she is very serious about you guys, but what about you? There's always the chance that, if you do elope, in ten years time you guys may fall out and get a divorce. And then the girl will be left all alone in this miserable world without anybody there to provide any moral support.

Do you know what her parents are like? Have you ever met them? Do you think they'll react badly if come out to them? Try your best to not run away together cause that romanticism tends to screw people over. You're too young and immature to know what's best for you yet.

I've had a few friend's run away with a guy and family members, they end up returning but their family ended up disowning the or get them married off. I agree with purple here, you guys are young....plus famiy is important...once she runs away they will want nothing to do with her. This is an important thing to think about, I've seen these types of things happening and it never works out.
Original post by ftahir02
Omg you get me!! It's so true!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not true for all,
Most of them care about religion more well in my case and the people I know anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by noticemesenpai
I've had a few friend's run away with a guy and family members, they end up returning but their family ended up disowning the or get them married off. I agree with purple here, you guys are young....plus famiy is important...once she runs away they will want nothing to do with her. This is an important thing to think about, I've seen these types of things happening and it never works out.

It will be interesting to see such a case. A young woman decides to run away with her lover because her family did not accept him. The family gets worried about the girl’s safety and begin searching for her. When they find her in good health and okay, they disown her for running away.
Original post by Wired_1800
It will be interesting to see such a case. A young woman decides to run away with her lover because her family did not accept him. The family gets worried about the girl’s safety and begin searching for her. When they find her in good health and okay, they disown her for running away.

In Pakistani culture it's seen as an embarrassment, I've seen cases where pakistanis don't let girls marry to a dude from another caste.
Original post by noticemesenpai
In Pakistani culture it's seen as an embarrassment, I've seen cases where pakistanis don't let girls marry to a dude from another caste.

I thought that was more present in India. The caste system, which is abhorrent, has no place in modern society. Of course, parents will want the best for their children, but to prevent a child from dating or marrying another person because of a man-made construct like the caste identity is very sad.

It is the same with race, where a parent will prevent their daughter from dating a guy because he is black even though he has good character and from a very stable background.
pakistani's will not let their daughter marry a white man.. sorry
Original post by samina_ay
pakistani's will not let their daughter marry a white man.. sorry

That's a generalisation aha
If they're Muslim they will not all but some will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
That's a generalisation aha
If they're Muslim they will not all but some will

Posted from TSR Mobile

in my opinion, pakistani's aren't that nice, yes they might agree to the marriage - but there will be several quarrels etc. i'm a pakistani so i know all this - it's a shame really
Original post by samina_ay
in my opinion, pakistani's aren't that nice, yes they might agree to the marriage - but there will be several quarrels etc. i'm a pakistani so i know all this - it's a shame really

Aha so am I,
But my parents aren't bothered much about culture ~ it's mostly religion which he can change
But I doubt he will

Posted from TSR Mobile
my family is crap then i guess
Original post by Phantom Lord
I'm Pakistani and have a few White people in my extended family, there's not really many 'quarrels'. Do not generalise.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like I have made a mistake falling for a Pakistani girl :frown:
Her parents would never accept me since I'm white.
What shall I do? Break up? I couldn't possibly.

You could maybe have a chance if you convert. Religion is generally more important than ethnicity, though it depends on what her parents are like. There are many White-Pakistani couples in the UK, e.g. Zayn maliks parents
(edited 8 years ago)
[video="youtube;U3NoDEu7kpg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg[/video]

Play that on repeat.

Then go and burn down a few buildings.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
Paki girls be trending :cool: For real though you'd better off breaking up, her parents will go mental at you
Original post by arfah
Paki girls be trending :cool: For real though you'd better off breaking up, her parents will go mental at you

LOL, if he converts they'll be more accepting aha
It depends how cultural/religious they are tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfah
girls be trending :cool: For real though you'd better off breaking up, her parents will go mental at you

On a scale of 1-10 how liberal are your parents? :K:

Spoiler

Reply 57
Original post by GreenNinjaa
In this case, I guess I can relate.
I am a Pakistani
The problems that will arise with this situation and very much likely.
A) In the religion of Islam, dating is forbidden
B) Pakistani parents would prefer if their children could get married to someone of the same culture
C) The same religion is a MUST

As harsh as this will sound, sorry mate, but it won't work out at all
I suggest you just break up, and find someone who you actually have a chance with.

I am Pakistani and my parent doesn't give a f**k who I date.
Reply 58
Original post by spiritless98
LOL, if he converts they'll be more accepting aha
It depends how cultural/religious they are tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah there's a couple of Pakistani families who are quite liberal (if converts). Some are extremely cultural though like mine.

Original post by Law-Hopeful
On a scale of 1-10 how liberal are your parents? :K:

Spoiler

That scale is too narrow
Original post by arfah

He needs to read this carefully.
We all know them uncles that wont hesitate to break bones lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending