The Student Room Group

How to know if medicine is for you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sam1875
Geography, Biology, Chemistry, how about yourself? :smile:

Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. Which unis are you thinking of applying to? :smile:
I disagree with those saying that as a doctor work is your life. That is certainly true as a junior doctor which is when I had least spare time but once you reach consultant/GP level there is more of an option to work part time and because you aren't continually studying/ working your way up/ moving around things settle down. I think this is where mature students can have a hard time if they are trying to combine being a med student/ junior doc with being a parent and attentive partner.
You have to like problem solving, people, be comfortable with risk, thick skinned and able to cope with stress.
It's not a good career for those who like science but are very anxious. Some of the thick skinned stuff develops over time. It is a people career not a science career though primarily, even in specialties like neurology and surgery dealing with patients' personalities, health beliefs and expectations is a major part of the job.
Reply 22
Original post by wannabedoctor21
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. Which unis are you thinking of applying to? :smile:

Great, all 3 sciences and a 4th A-Level sounds pretty tough so good luck! Guessing you got really good GCSEs? And regarding Unis, I haven't really looked into it, but I live near Birmingham. Have you got one in mind then? :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by taysidefrog
I disagree with those saying that as a doctor work is your life. That is certainly true as a junior doctor which is when I had least spare time but once you reach consultant/GP level there is more of an option to work part time and because you aren't continually studying/ working your way up/ moving around things settle down. I think this is where mature students can have a hard time if they are trying to combine being a med student/ junior doc with being a parent and attentive partner.
You have to like problem solving, people, be comfortable with risk, thick skinned and able to cope with stress.
It's not a good career for those who like science but are very anxious. Some of the thick skinned stuff develops over time. It is a people career not a science career though primarily, even in specialties like neurology and surgery dealing with patients' personalities, health beliefs and expectations is a major part of the job.

Thanks for the insight! What age would you say is when it becomes more manageable?
Original post by Sam1875
Great, all 3 sciences and a 4th A-Level sounds pretty tough so good luck! Guessing you got really good GCSEs? And regarding Unis, I haven't really looked into it, but I live near Birmingham. Have you got one in mind then? :smile:

They are going to be tough but worth all the hard work in the end! Your choices sound great, a good mix of sciences and humanities! I got 9 A*s, 2 As and a B in Drama (so not that important a subject!!). So yeah... I would say I achieved really well. How about you? Birmingham is a good uni, I've got a few in mind - quite a few Russell Group ones like Exeter. Depends if I reach the criteria...!! :smile:
Reply 25
They are going to be tough but worth all the hard work in the end! Your choices sound great, a good mix of sciences and humanities! I got 9 A*s, 2 As and a B in Drama (so not that important a subject!!). So yeah... I would say I achieved really well. How about you? Birmingham is a good uni, I've got a few in mind - quite a few Russell Group ones like Exeter. Depends if I reach the criteria...!! :smile:

Wow well done on those GCSEs! I got 3A*s 5As and a B in English Lit (wasn't my strong point aha), but before I started GCSE I was targeted 8Bs and a C so I'm obviously really happy and surprised with what I got! Yeah I've heard Birmingham is a top uni, but I heard they take GCSEs more seriously and expect A*s in English, Maths and the Sciences, along with 3 A*s at A-Level!
Original post by Sam1875
Wow well done on those GCSEs! I got 3A*s 5As and a B in English Lit (wasn't my strong point aha), but before I started GCSE I was targeted 8Bs and a C so I'm obviously really happy and surprised with what I got! Yeah I've heard Birmingham is a top uni, but I heard they take GCSEs more seriously and expect A*s in English, Maths and the Sciences, along with 3 A*s at A-Level!

Thank you! You got amazing results, well done!! A B is still really good in a subject that wasn't your strong point. You have surpassed your targets tremendously, I dislike targets a lot. For my GCSEs I was targeted all Bs but took little notice of them and it looks like that is what you have done. You never know, you may achieve those results at A level. Just as long as you work as hard as you can then you can do no more. One thing I have learnt recently by being on TSR is to apply to unis which look for things which are your strong points ie. for me I would apply to unis which look at GCSEs more than others. :smile:
Reply 27
its for those who want that bomb ass paycheck
Reply 28
Thank you! You got amazing results, well done!! A B is still really good in a subject that wasn't your strong point. You have surpassed your targets tremendously, I dislike targets a lot. For my GCSEs I was targeted all Bs but took little notice of them and it looks like that is what you have done. You never know, you may achieve those results at A level. Just as long as you work as hard as you can then you can do no more. One thing I have learnt recently by being on TSR is to apply to unis which look for things which are your strong points ie. for me I would apply to unis which look at GCSEs more than others. :smile:

Yeah I hope people don't get put off by targets, they mean nothing. Yeah 3A*s would be nice but incredibly hard, I feel I would need some tips with that, maybe we could be study buddies? :wink: aha. Do you know of any good revision guides/textbooks I should get for this year?
Original post by Sam1875
Yeah I hope people don't get put off by targets, they mean nothing. Yeah 3A*s would be nice but incredibly hard, I feel I would need some tips with that, maybe we could be study buddies? :wink: aha. Do you know of any good revision guides/textbooks I should get for this year?

Tip One: Work hard yet still have time for non-academic stuff if you know what I mean :wink: Yeah sure thing, I think it would be good as I don't know many people who want to study medicine at uni!! Have you had a list from your college of the books which you should purchase? These will be incredibly useful. :smile:
I found that after a couple of years as a GP principal it became more manageable, so when I was about 29. I just work part time though and would struggle with full time general practice as it is pretty full on from 8.30 until 6-6.30. People are very demanding and expect you to deal with several complex problems in 10 minutes and wave a magic wand and make them instantly happy. This week has been awful, but we've been a partner down for the past 3 months due to holidays. Really glad it's my turn to go away next week. My engineer husband has also had enough of his work this week though so I think most people get fed up with their jobs at times. My job pays more than my husband's.
Reply 31
Tip One: Work hard yet still have time for non-academic stuff if you know what I mean :wink: Yeah sure thing, I think it would be good as I don't know many people who want to study medicine at uni!! Have you had a list from your college of the books which you should purchase? These will be incredibly useful. :smile:

Good tip aha! No I haven't but I start on Monday anyways, any idea what you might be getting? :smile:
Original post by Sam1875
Good tip aha! No I haven't but I start on Monday anyways, any idea what you might be getting?

I was given a list of books by the college of what I should have for lessons. I go back on Monday as well, how are you feeling about college? :smile:
Reply 33
I was given a list of books by the college of what I should have for lessons. I go back on Monday as well, how are you feeling about college? :smile:

Do you do AQA, and if so could u share the list if possible? I'm feeling a mixture of excitement and nervousness, and I'm not looking forward to getting up early aha
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do some volunteering.
Original post by Sam1875
Do you do AQA, and if so could u share the list if possible? I'm feeling a mixture of excitement and nervousness, and I'm not looking forward to getting up early aha

I do OCR so I don't think my books will help you but if you think they will then please say and I will share the list. It's going to be so different to school so I'm really looking forward to it as I can be more independent!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do some volunteering.

I'm already volunteering on a regular basis, thank you for your advice (not sure who you directed this at)
Reply 37
I do OCR so I don't think my books will help you but if you think they will then please say and I will share the list. It's going to be so different to school so I'm really looking forward to it as I can be more independent!!

Well I guess you could share the list and I could see if those particular publishers have an AQA version? And yes it is going to be very different but should be wayy better :wink:
Original post by Sam1875
Well I guess you could share the list and I could see if those particular publishers have an AQA version? And yes it is going to be very different but should be wayy better :wink:

Biology - (OCR) AS/A level Biology A Second Edition Sue Hocking, Frank Sochacki, Mark Winterbottom Publisher - Pearson

Chemistry - A level Chemistry for OCR A Year 1 and AS Rob Ritchie, Dave Gent Publisher - Oxford

Hope this helps!! :smile:
Reply 39
Biology - (OCR) AS/A level Biology A Second Edition Sue Hocking, Frank Sochacki, Mark Winterbottom Publisher - Pearson

Chemistry - A level Chemistry for OCR A Year 1 and AS Rob Ritchie, Dave Gent Publisher - Oxford

Hope this helps!! :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending