The Student Room Group

Sixth form college or grammar school sixth form?

I currently go to a grammar school and I'm really not sure about whether I should move schools to a much closer sixth form college and I have practically no time to decide.

The journey to my current school takes just over an hour every morning, whereas the sixth form college is only a few miles away. I'd get much more sleep if I went to the sixth form College. The sixth form college is also probably one of the best of its kind in the country; according to Ofsted it has the 'best' sixth form teaching in the country, whilst my school is only ranked as 'good.'

At the sixth form college I'd get to study Sociology rather than Geography (which is what I'd be have to do at my current school and I hate Physical Geography) but I'd also have to do General Studies as a fifth subject which seems pretty pointless.

My current school obviously gets much better grades, but I don't know how much of that is down to the fact that it's selective as opposed to the work environment/teaching at grammar schools being massively different. To establish how academically successful it is compared to the college, my school has around 800 people between years 7-13 whilst the sixth form college has around 4000, but more people go to Oxbridge from my school (around 22 in a year of 150) than the college which has 2000 or more a year. The college still achieves grades considerably above the national average.

I really don't like my current school, (mostly the people/environment) but I'm not sure if that, studying Sociology over Geography and having a shorter journey justify moving, especially because I don't know anyone at the college. My brother claims that it's extremely hard for people to make new friends because of the size of the college and that a lot of people who don't know anyone at the start don't make friends. Most people go to schools in the area so already have friends going to the college. I'm quite introverted so I don't want be sitting by myself in the library for two years.
If I were you I'd stick to the grammar school, as you'd do better due to the pressure etc
But it's up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by spiritless98
If I were you I'd stick to the grammar school, as you'd do better due to the pressure etc
But it's up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I don't actually know if that's true though because from what my brother told me, there seems to be a lot more pressure at the college, e.g. people having nervous breakdowns and leaving because they're stressed out, whereas at my school they don't really care if you submit coursework late and so on.
Original post by asubkjfnsa
Thanks, I don't actually know if that's true though because from what my brother told me, there seems to be a lot more pressure at the college, e.g. people having nervous breakdowns and leaving because they're stressed out, whereas at my school they don't really care if you submit coursework late and so on.

You can do well in both, but people in grammar schools usually have better GCSE grades and you'll be in an environment where everyone wants to do well.
But if you think you can do well in college go for it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I go to a grammar school also, and whilst I am SUPER sick of the atmosphere and people, I don't think I'll move (I'll have to make a decision soon though).

I want to get very good a level grades, and I think I stand a better chance at that if I go to a grammar school because they push you.

I would only move sixth form if I got some amazing scholarship into a really good private school (which is never going to happen lol)

I live 45 minutes away from my school by public transport (when I get dropped off by the bus stop), but if I was to go all the way to school myself, it would take well over an hour. I know where you're coming from, when I'm travelling to school, people from my local school haven't even woken up yet, so if you really don't want to wake up early for more years, maybe consider going to the sixth form college.

I basically don't want to move because I don't want to start again somewhere new, with no one I know. I'm not really used to state schools as I haven't been to one for 4 years, so it may be a big change but idk. Plus, I go to an all girls school so my conversational skills with males aren't exactly polished (they're non existent lol). But, even if you don't want to start afresh at the sixth form college, if you do it will be a good experience, and I'm sure you'll make friends.

I don't know, I'm sick of my school and the people especially but I think I might just suck it up. However, you're in a different situation to mine because my school's sixth form has all the options I want to take whereas yours doesn't. What do you want to take at uni? Does it involve sociology?

Ultimately it's down to if you really think it's worth it to move or not.

This rant probably didn't help you at all lol. Anyhow, good luck with making a decision
Reply 5
Original post by Wanderlust20
I go to a grammar school also, and whilst I am SUPER sick of the atmosphere and people, I don't think I'll move (I'll have to make a decision soon though).

I want to get very good a level grades, and I think I stand a better chance at that if I go to a grammar school because they push you.

I would only move sixth form if I got some amazing scholarship into a really good private school (which is never going to happen lol)

I live 45 minutes away from my school by public transport (when I get dropped off by the bus stop), but if I was to go all the way to school myself, it would take well over an hour. I know where you're coming from, when I'm travelling to school, people from my local school haven't even woken up yet, so if you really don't want to wake up early for more years, maybe consider going to the sixth form college.

I basically don't want to move because I don't want to start again somewhere new, with no one I know. I'm not really used to state schools as I haven't been to one for 4 years, so it may be a big change but idk. Plus, I go to an all girls school so my conversational skills with males aren't exactly polished (they're non existent lol). But, even if you don't want to start afresh at the sixth form college, if you do it will be a good experience, and I'm sure you'll make friends.

I don't know, I'm sick of my school and the people especially but I think I might just suck it up. However, you're in a different situation to mine because my school's sixth form has all the options I want to take whereas yours doesn't. What do you want to take at uni? Does it involve sociology?

This rant probably didn't help you at all lol. Anyhow, good luck with making a decision

I'm in a very similar situation to you then, the main drawback for me is having to adjust to a new school. I go to an all boys school but I'm alright speaking to girls, (I probably get on better with girls than boys.) I went to a mixed comprehensive school for year 7 and then moved to my current school for year 8 and remember being utterly shocked by how different the people at grammar schools are. I'm completely sick of the people too, that was half of my reason for moving but I think I can also put up with it for 2 more years.

I'm definitely strongly considering doing sociology at university, it's not important to do it at A-level though, I'd just much rather do it than geography because I hate physical geography. I already have a good background knowledge in sociology for someone who hasn't studied it so it's not disastrous if I don't do it at A-level.

Thank you for replying, I think I'm slightly leaning towards my current school now.
Reply 6
Original post by Wanderlust20

But I'm sure if you absolutely hate your current school you'd be fine at a comprehensive school and you'd fit in, talking to boys is quite simple, but obviously if you feel you can put up with your school then stay.
No problem, I'm glad I could help - it's good to know I'm not the only one feels this way and is in a similar situation :smile:

Ps: as it happens, I hate physical geography too but I'm gonna take geography for a level because I like human geography too much (too bad there's no option to just take human geography!)

Quick Reply

Latest