The Student Room Group

Warwick: Maths and Stats or just Maths

I am applying to uni this year and am debating whether to apply for just 'mathematics' or 'mathematics and statistics', specifically at the Unveristy of Warwick. Statistics has always been my favourite area of maths however I prefer the theoretical side to the practical side.
I was also wondering if it was worth applying to both 'Mathematics' and 'Mathematics and Statistics' or whether this would be pointless. I know on Warwick's website they say applying to both 'maths and stats' and 'morse' is pointless but these 2 courses are interchangeable for the first 2 years whereas 'maths' and 'maths and stats' are not. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Ray7
Maths&Stats at warwick is for those who aren't good enough for the real deal. It's basically an easy way for people to say they have a 'Maths degree' when they can't handle STEP.

If you like Stats at A-Level you probably only like basic computation/typing stuff into a calculator again and again without much thinking and problem solving. If so, then the straight maths degree might not be for you.

well said
Original post by Ray7
Maths&Stats at warwick is for those who aren't good enough for the real deal. It's basically an easy way for people to say they have a 'Maths degree' when they can't handle STEP.

If you like Stats at A-Level you probably only like basic computation/typing stuff into a calculator again and again without much thinking and problem solving. If so, then the straight maths degree might not be for you.

I like the parts of stats like normal distribution and probability, not things like Sxx and stuff where you just plug numbers into formulas. Up until recently I was planning on just doing pure maths as I enjoy algebra and calculus and trig but then I started reading maths books and realised that the parts that excited me most were stats-related.

I did notice the grade boundaries were lower for stats than just maths and thought people might think I've picked it just as an easy way to uni, but I've already got an A* in a level maths and expect to get the same in a level further. I've looked at a few STEP papers and think I could do a decent job of them (strangely enough I think the stats questions look the most appealing).

I'm just trying to work out which degree I would enjoy the most as they keep telling us thats what you should base your choice on rather than which looks the best or has the best rep.

Quick Reply

Latest