The Student Room Group

How to stay motivated during gcse years? Science in particular

Hiya,
I'm starting year 10 tomorrow and I just wanted some tips on how to stay motivated and achieve the highest possible grades for my ability?
Do you have any bio/chem study tips? I really want to do medicine!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rosieme
Hiya,
I'm starting year 10 tomorrow and I just wanted some tips on how to stay motivated and achieve the highest possible grades for my ability?
Do you have any bio/chem study tips?

Good luck and I'm taking a guess you'll be doing core science which is 3 exams and a coursework and the tips i would give is not to over load on revision but gradually ease in as you've probably never done a real exam so they throw you in the deep end which is cruel i know but you have to do it. Biology and chemistry is fun if you have the right attitude to learning and understanding. The study tips for me was do posters and stick them around the house which worked and flash cards are good but not to many as they get too much if you have like 300 cards! Learn little rhymes as well because i used them in the exams which sounds ridiculously but they really do work! I did all the above and started revising 5 months before and got a B in all the exams and coursework so good luck again :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mollymayjones
Good luck and I'm taking a guess you'll be doing core science which is 3 exams and a coursework and the tips i would give is not to over load on revision but gradually ease in as you've probably never done a real exam so they throw you in the deep end which is cruel i know but you have to do it. Biology and chemistry is fun if you have the right attitude to learning and understanding. The study tips for me was do posters and stick them around the house which worked and flash cards are good but not to many as they get too much if you have like 300 cards! Learn little rhymes as well because i used them in the exams which sounds ridiculously but they really do work! I did all the above and started revising 5 months before and got a B in all the exams and coursework so good luck again :smile:

I'm not sure if I'm doing double or triple science until tomorrow! We have end of year exams but obviously gcses will be a big leap :/I'm really looking forawrd to coming up with acronyms and the like hehe Posters is such a good idea! I like learning visually so I will definitely be doing that! Thank you so much c:
Original post by rosieme
I'm not sure if I'm doing double or triple science until tomorrow! We have end of year exams but obviously gcses will be a big leap :/I'm really looking forawrd to coming up with acronyms and the like hehe Posters is such a good idea! I like learning visually so I will definitely be doing that! Thank you so much c:

I'm glad i could of helped and I did double which was good so you can also ask for me for any help that you need with science even if you are doing triple.!
Original post by rosieme
Hiya,

- myGCSEscience will save your life. no kidding.
- make sure you copy your notes up if you miss a lesson
- USE PAST PAPERS! something that really helped me out was learning answer 'structures' to common questions - use the mark scheme to help you plan your answers to exam questions for full marks.
- make flashcards using real exam questions
- when you revise, only copy key notes up
- use the specification throughout the year to help you summarise lessons
- lastly, make sure you understand! if you don't understand something don't miss the chance to ask your teacher, because once you understand it will make everything so much easier.
good luck! :smile:
Original post by rosieme
Hiya,

As for motivation, a guy called "ETTheHipHopPreacher" was a big part of why I wanted to achieve the best grades in school.

Well I bought the CGP revision guides and printed out the specification (everything that may be on the exams) and basically used the 2 to make sure I knew everything on the specification- (revising from the book would enable me to learn points in the specification in more depth to ensure understanding).

I used flash cards and sticky notes and kept them with me all the time. There would be questions based off of the specification also to help me question myself to constantly jog my memory on what I may be tested on during exams. In Year 10, revise quite a bit out of lessons, but don't over do it- that's for Year 11 :3. This helped me get 3 A*'s in my sciences but was mostly attributed to just doing the work and being competitive with the people in my classes.

Oh yeah, and try to have fun learning the stuff. Idk why, but I enjoyed learning new things since I knew I would be getting ahead of the class and could just have extra sessions of revision during lessons since I would have learned it already. This is probably what I'm going to do with A-Levels now that I'm in Year 12 but obviously with a lot more revision.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Hey there, science was always a subject I struggled with and found really boring. However, I managed an A and an A* in Core and Additional Science respectively. My tips:

- Past papers. Try and do as many as possible. Get the current year's past papers emailed by teacher since they won't be available online. Mark yourself harshly.
- Learn the specification. Print it off, go through it point by point, learn the jargon. Going through mark-schemes might be helpful, but they are only a small reflection of what the specification says.
- Understand the content. Ask teachers, YouTube or TSR for help on things you don't understand. Believe me, it makes you more confident about the exams.
- Flash cards. Personally I like computerised flash cards that you can make on TSR (?), Quizlet, Memrise or the one I used, GoConqr. Make sure your questions are very specific, one-word-answers. One mistake I made with Core Science is that I had very open-ended questions, like 'How was the solar system formed?' so I would always forget part of an answer

Good luck for Year 10. You'll be amazing. :smile:
Listen in lessons. This may sound really obvious but in science the teachers seem more able to produce extra knowledge that can be very useful if you want high grades. Also write any extra information down.

I find just going through the revision guides and highlighting what I do not know has worked for me in mock exams, then reviewing this a while later works best. I have only done this for the parts I fully understood from lessons (which is luckily most of it). Also if your school has a science revision club these are very useful in my experience. Apart from that all the advice above sounds good too (I haven't had to use most of it yet because I am just starting year 11.)
Reply 8
Original post by mollymayjones
I'm glad i could of helped and I did double which was good so you can also ask for me for any help that you need with science even if you are doing triple.!

Thanks will do!
Reply 9
Original post by electrahearts
- myGCSEscience will save your life. no kidding.
- make sure you copy your notes up if you miss a lesson
- USE PAST PAPERS! something that really helped me out was learning answer 'structures' to common questions - use the mark scheme to help you plan your answers to exam questions for full marks.
- make flashcards using real exam questions
- when you revise, only copy key notes up
- use the specification throughout the year to help you summarise lessons
- lastly, make sure you understand! if you don't understand something don't miss the chance to ask your teacher, because once you understand it will make everything so much easier.
good luck! :smile:

Thank you- these are all really great ideas c: I'm going to try and understand stuff before I leave the classroom so I don't freak out at home!
Hey! We have a thread for Year 10s this year, why don't you come and check it out? :smile: It is in the GCSE forum :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
As for motivation, a guy called "ETTheHipHopPreacher" was a big part of why I wanted to achieve the best grades in school.

Well I bought the CGP revision guides and printed out the specification (everything that may be on the exams) and basically used the 2 to make sure I knew everything on the specification- (revising from the book would enable me to learn points in the specification in more depth to ensure understanding).

I used flash cards and sticky notes and kept them with me all the time. There would be questions based off of the specification also to help me question myself to constantly jog my memory on what I may be tested on during exams. In Year 10, revise quite a bit out of lessons, but don't over do it- that's for Year 11 :3. This helped me get 3 A*'s in my sciences but was mostly attributed to just doing the work and being competitive with the people in my classes.

Oh yeah, and try to have fun learning the stuff. Idk why, but I enjoyed learning new things since I knew I would be getting ahead of the class and could just have extra sessions of revision during lessons since I would have learned it already. This is probably what I'm going to do with A-Levels now that I'm in Year 12 but obviously with a lot more revision.

Good luck!

This has really motivated me! I'll be using all these tips!
Reply 12
Original post by MrMackyTv
Hey! We have a thread for Year 10s this year, why don't you come and check it out? :smile: It is in the GCSE forum :biggrin:

Okay, I'll try and find it!
Reply 13
Original post by Jackster45
Listen in lessons. This may sound really obvious but in science the teachers seem more able to produce extra knowledge that can be very useful if you want high grades. Also write any extra information down.

I find just going through the revision guides and highlighting what I do not know has worked for me in mock exams, then reviewing this a while later works best. I have only done this for the parts I fully understood from lessons (which is luckily most of it). Also if your school has a science revision club these are very useful in my experience. Apart from that all the advice above sounds good too (I haven't had to use most of it yet because I am just starting year 11.)

I'll be buying revision guides soon c: thank you for your help!
Reply 14
Original post by Hariex
Hey there, science was always a subject I struggled with and found really boring. However, I managed an A and an A* in Core and Additional Science respectively. My tips:

- Past papers. Try and do as many as possible. Get the current year's past papers emailed by teacher since they won't be available online. Mark yourself harshly.
- Learn the specification. Print it off, go through it point by point, learn the jargon. Going through mark-schemes might be helpful, but they are only a small reflection of what the specification says.
- Understand the content. Ask teachers, YouTube or TSR for help on things you don't understand. Believe me, it makes you more confident about the exams.
- Flash cards. Personally I like computerised flash cards that you can make on TSR (?), Quizlet, Memrise or the one I used, GoConqr. Make sure your questions are very specific, one-word-answers. One mistake I made with Core Science is that I had very open-ended questions, like 'How was the solar system formed?' so I would always forget part of an answer

Good luck for Year 10. You'll be amazing. :smile:

I'm definitely going to be using past papers! I've heard be talk about quizlet so I'll download that c:
Thank you so much- I hope so

Quick Reply

Latest