The Student Room Group

Revision

I know it is quite a broad topic. How should I revise? Methods? I'm in year 10 and I want to prepare for my GCSE's early so I can get a head start. My goal is to get 8's and 9's in all my subjects (Geography, Spanish, Maths, PE, the 3 sciences, English, Philosophy,) and I was trying practice questions because my teacher recommended it for me but I just wanted some more views on the topic of 'how to revise'. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by SamMudd
I know it is quite a broad topic. How should I revise? Methods? I'm in year 10 and I want to prepare for my GCSE's early so I can get a head start. My goal is to get 8's and 9's in all my subjects (Geography, Spanish, Maths, PE, the 3 sciences, English, Philosophy,) and I was trying practice questions because my teacher recommended it for me but I just wanted some more views on the topic of 'how to revise'. Thanks!

Well done for opting to get a head start on preparation! It makes it so much easier in the long run if you begin to equip yourself now. Do make sure you don't burn yourself out though - little and often will pay off far more than slugging through hours and losing all motivation early on.

What I would say for year 10 is to make sure you have all the revision resources and methods set up for you so that year 11 isn't a mad rush to get organised. For example, I made flashcard sets on quizlet for all my topics to combine class and textbook notes into a central revision point.

The most important thing when revising is that you are using active rather than passive methods, so don't waste time rewriting notes or highlighting them. Always try to use active recall, which means testing yourself on information. So for example, making flashcards on all the information you will need for a topic, and testing yourself to learn it. That way, you practice retrieving the information as you would need to for an exam. Then, try exam questions to apply what you've learnt.

If you don't like flashcards (I personally found them really helpful), you could try methods like blurting, which is where you write out everything you can think of about a particular topic on a piece of paper without any notes, and then go back through your notes to see what you missed or got wrong. This is really useful for developing ideas when revising English literature.

For maths, the best advice is always to do as much question practice as possible - you will quickly find that a lot of the exam questions follow a very similar structure.

Always try and revise thoroughly for topic tests and mocks, as this will make revision for the real exams much easier and less daunting. The more you revise a particular subject, the more easily the information will come back to you the next time you revise.
Reply 2
Original post by SafiaM
Well done for opting to get a head start on preparation! It makes it so much easier in the long run if you begin to equip yourself now. Do make sure you don't burn yourself out though - little and often will pay off far more than slugging through hours and losing all motivation early on.

What I would say for year 10 is to make sure you have all the revision resources and methods set up for you so that year 11 isn't a mad rush to get organised. For example, I made flashcard sets on quizlet for all my topics to combine class and textbook notes into a central revision point.

The most important thing when revising is that you are using active rather than passive methods, so don't waste time rewriting notes or highlighting them. Always try to use active recall, which means testing yourself on information. So for example, making flashcards on all the information you will need for a topic, and testing yourself to learn it. That way, you practice retrieving the information as you would need to for an exam. Then, try exam questions to apply what you've learnt.

If you don't like flashcards (I personally found them really helpful), you could try methods like blurting, which is where you write out everything you can think of about a particular topic on a piece of paper without any notes, and then go back through your notes to see what you missed or got wrong. This is really useful for developing ideas when revising English literature.

For maths, the best advice is always to do as much question practice as possible - you will quickly find that a lot of the exam questions follow a very similar structure.

Always try and revise thoroughly for topic tests and mocks, as this will make revision for the real exams much easier and less daunting. The more you revise a particular subject, the more easily the information will come back to you the next time you revise.

I have been making flash cards on actual card rather than making them on Quizlet, but do you think that making them on Quizlet is more productive for trying to achieve those 7s,8s and 9s?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SamMudd
I have been making flash cards on actual card rather than making them on Quizlet, but do you think that making them on Quizlet is more productive for trying to achieve those 7s,8s and 9s?

I think that is entirely up to you. You may find that physically writing them out helps you to remember them better, or you may find it quicker to type them up, and prefer to get it done quickly so you can use them straight away. I quite like having a portable way to revise on any device, but with paper flashcards you're also not at risk of losing them or not having access if there's a problem with the website etc. Of course a paper format also has much more flexibility with how you lay it out, so I would say whatever works for you. Try both, and then decide
Reply 4
Original post by SamMudd

Honestly i think your best bet is to start making revision notes and flashcards as you go through content when you understand the content best. This is where most people spend too much time during yr 11. I would then just recommend to go over your notes every half term just to get a grip. As well as this one thing I would recommend if u struggle in english or geography is to actually start making notes and listening in class even if it seems pointless because understanding case studies and the texts are very important. But since you are in yr 10 if you start to properly understand paper 1 content in all your subjects then you’ll be set for your mocks in November.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest