The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by future doctor x
Thank you for the info I am not going to be applying there as I dont want a straight rejection atleast my ps ahould be read so bt im unsure which other unis I could consider Bristol maybe and do Liverpool and Nottingham do I have a chance there
?? Do u think ?

Wouldn't recommend Nottingham, they have quite a high UKCAT emphasis, they have a points scoring thing where most of them are academic of the acadenic scoring 2/3 is ukacat and 1/3 is GCSEs I believe so unless you have 8A* at GCSE (including maths English and science) it would be pretty risky.
Thank you for the info I am not going to be applying there as I dont want a straight rejection atleast my ps ahould be read so bt im unsure which other unis I could consider Bristol maybe and do Liverpool and Nottingham do I have a chance there
?? Do u think ?

applying to liverpool is fair, because it's the first year they're using ukcat so they wouldn't focus as strongly on it as other uni's due to lack of experience in processing scores from the exam. For that reason also I strongly suggest you don't apply to Nottingham because they are a ukcat heavy uni.
Bristol is a good idea also, but to compensate for them not using ukcat they strongly look at your academic achievements, and exhausting MMI stage... but that's not to put you off at all. You may have a realistic opt at Bristol
Original post by stephannalee
Wouldn't recommend Nottingham, they have quite a high UKCAT emphasis, they have a points scoring thing where most of them are academic of the acadenic scoring 2/3 is ukacat and 1/3 is GCSEs I believe so unless you have 8A* at GCSE (including maths English and science) it would be pretty risky.

Oh okay thanks then I feel like leeds and hyms are my only options left with hyms I have a guaranteed Interview so thats my only hope now and I hooe I do well in the bmat
Original post by janetconner
applying to liverpool is fair, because it's the first year they're using ukcat so they wouldn't focus as strongly on it as other uni's due to lack of experience in processing scores from the exam. For that reason also I strongly suggest you don't apply to Nottingham because they are a ukcat heavy uni.
Bristol is a good idea also, but to compensate for them not using ukcat they strongly look at your academic achievements, and exhausting MMI stage... but that's not to put you off at all. You may have a realistic opt at Bristol

Thanks :-) I have 3A's and 1 B at AS with the B in chem only two ums off an A is that good enough for bristol ? Plusmy gcses are 3A*s 4 A's and 5 B 's and 1 C and ive heard bristol is really personal statement heavy where that is the determining factor for an interview
Thanks :-) I have 3A's and 1 B at AS with the B in chem only two ums off an A is that good enough for bristol ? Plusmy gcses are 3A*s 4 A's and 5 B 's and 1 C and ive heard bristol is really personal statement heavy where that is the determining factor for an interview

yes you're right about bristol. If you feel confident that your ps will flourish you as a candidate then apply,because you have met the entry requirements with your gcse and as level. which bmat uni are you applying to ?
I myself am struggling to decide between imperial and ucl ://
Hey guys, I'll be applying here!
Are there any graduates looking to apply here?

I have a 2.1 physiology degree.
ABB A level (Maths,Chem,Bio)
UKCAT: 667.5

What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
Are there any graduates looking to apply here?

I have a 2.1 physiology degree.
ABB A level (Maths,Chem,Bio)
UKCAT: 667.5

What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am planning on it, assuming I'm predicted a 2:1 in Neuroscience with Pharmacology (may be able to convince my tutor to predict me a 1st as averaged 67% in 2nd year with extenuating circumstances. AAA A level (Maths, Chem, Bio) and a 660 UKCAT, so we're pretty similar.
I recon it will all be down to personal statement tbh, A level requirements are BBB, UKCAT requirement is like 2510 so that will be fine, after that they do it all on personal statement
I am planning on it, assuming I'm predicted a 2:1 in Neuroscience with Pharmacology (may be able to convince my tutor to predict me a 1st as averaged 67% in 2nd year with extenuating circumstances. AAA A level (Maths, Chem, Bio) and a 660 UKCAT, so we're pretty similar.
I recon it will all be down to personal statement tbh, A level requirements are BBB, UKCAT requirement is like 2510 so that will be fine, after that they do it all on personal statement

Ahhh ok! Good luck for your last year! Which uni are you at?

I have 10 months paid work experience as a healthcare assistant in a GP practice so I need to really highlight it in my personal statement!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh ok! Good luck for your last year! Which uni are you at?

I have 10 months paid work experience as a healthcare assistant in a GP practice so I need to really highlight it in my personal statement!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im at Nottingham :smile: How have you found the HCA work?
Im at Nottingham :smile: How have you found the HCA work?

My dads friend who is a GP told my dad they were looking for HCAs so I sent my CV in and got an interview! They took on 4. Interviewed around 30 I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My dads friend who is a GP told my dad they were looking for HCAs so I sent my CV in and got an interview! They took on 4. Interviewed around 30 I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome I work as a HCA on the wards in my hospital :smile: , how does GP HCA stuff differ from on the wards? Personally never really been to the GP other than to get jabs to go on holiday so feel a bit clueless
Awesome I work as a HCA on the wards in my hospital :smile: , how does GP HCA stuff differ from on the wards? Personally never really been to the GP other than to get jabs to go on holiday so feel a bit clueless

That's great experience too!

I was trained in phlebotomy so I had my own clinics where i took blood, blood pressure, I did health checks for diabetes as well. I also ran a dementia assessment clinic where I did a cognitive test on patients and the Doctors may have referred them on. I also helped to coordinate MDT meetings for neighbourhood teams where the focus was on frail patients and keeping them out of hospital. I was j charge of organising the meetings and summarising the action points in patient notes during the meetings. I did other bits and bobs as well as normal reception work of answering phones and booking patients in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's great experience too!

I was trained in phlebotomy so I had my own clinics where i took blood, blood pressure, I did health checks for diabetes as well. I also ran a dementia assessment clinic where I did a cognitive test on patients and the Doctors may have referred them on. I also helped to coordinate MDT meetings for neighbourhood teams where the focus was on frail patients and keeping them out of hospital. I was j charge of organising the meetings and summarising the action points in patient notes during the meetings. I did other bits and bobs as well as normal reception work of answering phones and booking patients in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow sounds really amazing!! Did you apply for Medicine in the final year of your degree also?
wow sounds really amazing!! Did you apply for Medicine in the final year of your degree also?

Thanks! No I didn't. I wanted to just focus on getting my degree and my dissertation to the best I could do. I was suffering from bad anxiety at the time and I felt it would have been too much to take on. I also wanted at least 1 year break from study to work and save money and get experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! No I didn't. I wanted to just focus on getting my degree and my dissertation to the best I could do. I was suffering from bad anxiety at the time and I felt it would have been too much to take on. I also wanted at least 1 year break from study to work and save money and get experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Makes sense :smile: If I don't manage to get in this year Im planning on doing a similar thing :smile:
Makes sense :smile: If I don't manage to get in this year Im planning on doing a similar thing :smile:

My friend at uni applied in the final year of physiology and got into Sheff and now she is there! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend at uni applied in the final year of physiology and got into Sheff and now she is there! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats promising, most people who have applied to medicine in the final year of neuroscience have been rejected, but think they all applied to graduate courses rather than undergraduate so fingers crossed
Hey guys I'm thinking of applying to Sheffield to study medicine. Do you think a score of 2750 for the UKCAT is good enough to get me an interview or a place?
Original post by rachel_roar
Hey guys I'm thinking of applying to Sheffield to study medicine. Do you think a score of 2750 for the UKCAT is good enough to get me an interview or a place?

Should be fine. On their website, they've said:
'In addition to the academic requirements, candidates must have achieved a score of 2510 or above to be given consideration, currently we do not take the SJT part of the test into consideration.'

'While many applicants exceed the minimum academic and UKCAT requirements, we do not rank applicants according to academic or UKCAT attainment, and there is no advantage in our selection process to those who exceed the minimum requirements.'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending