The Student Room Group

Burden Sharing For The Middle East

Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait- among the world richest nations. None have opened their doors to Syrians?

Surly countries closer to Syria have the greatest responsibility? Especially Saudi Arabia who helped import these radical jihadists into Syria in the first place?

So why all the fuss over europe not wanting to be flooded and not any fuss over arab countries not taking in people? Oh I forget those countries are not horrible evil colonial Europeans that have to be punished for what they did?
Reply 1
Original post by SeaPony
Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait- among the world richest nations. None have opened their doors to Syrians?

Surly countries closer to Syria have the greatest responsibility? Especially Saudi Arabia who helped import these radical jihadists into Syria in the first place?

So why all the fuss over europe not wanting to be flooded and not any fuss over arab countries not taking in people? Oh I forget those countries are not horrible evil colonial Europeans that have to be punished for what they did?

You seem to be misinformed, as usual.

Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq (being the closest countries to Syria) cater to around 95% of the Syrian Refugees.
Reply 2
Original post by Errm13

Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq (being the closest countries to Syria) cater to around 95% of the Syrian Refugees.

Saudi Arabia/ Qatar/ UAE/ Bahrain and Kuwait should be taking them. They have room and they have wealth.
Original post by Errm13

And what about Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait - some of the world's richest nations?
If you running away from wahhabi extremists you're not going to seek shelter in wahhabi-run countries. Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan take in millions.
Reply 5
Original post by Hedgehogkilla
If you running away from wahhabi extremists you're not going to seek shelter in wahhabi-run countries. Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan take in millions.

Don't think the majority would care if they were let in and given shelter in the way these countries could give if they wanted.
How anyone in a position of power can sit back and say "no thanks Jeff" is beyond me. They absolutely have a moral responsibility to do their share.
Yes, the likes of Lebanon and Jordan have taken in many refugees - as they ought to, it's their cousins.

We would be just as willing if it was Canadians, Australians etc.

The problem is many of these 'refugees' are incompatible with our way of life. We already have huge integration & extremism problems without importing more.

Sad state of affairs, but there are 56 Islamic countries and 22 Arab states - many of which are very wealthy. This is an Islamic problem for Muslim states to sort out.
Original post by LockheedSpooky

We would be just as willing if it was Canadians, Australians etc.

The problem is many of these 'refugees' are incompatible with our way of life. We already have huge integration & extremism problems without importing more.

Your use of inclusive pronouns suggests you live in the Western world, tad disingenuous wouldn't you say? :smile:
You've got it all wrong mate. This is the White man's burden. No longer should we have any children of our own, that would be too expensive and racist as well when black children and Asian children are starving. We are condemned instead to spend our time and resources on caring for the rest of the world's offspring. They need it more. We should die out. And we should revel in our sacrifice: we will never ever be thanked, but will continually be called "racist" and "colonialist" and accused of not doing enough. And that is a good thing. White supremacists are Nazis.
Reply 10
From one terrible extreme in Germany of fascism and tyranny to another of ultra liberalism/multiculturalism. The two extremes.
Reply 11
Saudi's are too busy killing Muslims in Yemen
There's an argument to be made for more Middle Eastern countries to help (not like they can't afford it, with their oil wealth). But in the meantime, some refugees need somewhere to go and with the Syrian war raging on with no end in sight, it's not like they are going to be going back home anytime soon (if ever). Some of Syria's neighbours are struggling with refugees and the conditions aren't always great.

Another thing to bear in mind - would Christian refugees really want to go to a country with strict Islamic law like Saudi Arabia? That's not my idea of a "safe country", and some of these refugees are Christians fleeing from war and particularly from Islamists. If the Turkish-Kurdish tensions continue or escalate then Kurdish refugees might not want to stay in Turkey. Just things we have to consider.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SeaPony
Saudi Arabia/ Qatar/ UAE/ Bahrain and Kuwait should be taking them. They have room and they have wealth.

I completely agree with you there, however I think Europe in particularly Britain and France should take their fair share of migrants and refugees especially Iraqi and Libyan and Afghan refugees because our government played a crucial part in creating the current circumstances in those regions. If you really want to be morally consistent then the US should be taking in refugees also but I don't think it's even worth contemplating such an act.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending